My thoughts on a Glock 9mm for carry

This is a discussion on My thoughts on a Glock 9mm for carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please not a glock bashing topic just give your thoughts on the subject, thanks. I have read a couple of articles lately about Glocks for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on a Glock 9mm for carry

My thoughts on a Glock 9mm for carry

Please not a glock bashing topic just give your thoughts on the subject, thanks. I have read a couple of articles lately about Glocks for a carry gun(if I could carry in this state). The source has been training folks and forum comments and they make senese to me. I don't like Glocks because I never could shoot the .45 Glock I owned and gave to my son.
    Recently I have thought about a 9mm Glock to carry because they tell me they are very reliable, the ammo will be cheaper than my .45 stuff and it seems to be a nice shooting package. I compared my dislike with that of a carpenter and his tools. A craftsman can do allmost any job with lousy tools and make it look ok. A so so wood worker seems to think he needs the very best tools. I am trying to say maybe a nice Glock 9mm with lots of practice for defensive shooting only may be just the ticket. What do you guys think, appreciate your input.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    FortyFive,

It's all in what you want to do man. Personally, I dislike Glock (they don't seem to point real well for me (the few that I've held anyway)) and something about not having either a LONG DA pull, or a manual safety makes me a little ill at ease. Just MHO.

If you want to do something along the same lines, you could pick up an XD, which hover right around the same price, and to me anyway are a little safer because of the grip safety. Again, IMHO.

Goodluck in deciding what to pick up...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Thanks Jim, appreciate the input. Know what you mean about the safety issue.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I would never buy a tool that I didn't like. I carry my CZ PO1, and love it. I could carry a G17 - I qualified Distinguished Expert ,(POST), with one, but I don't like them, the feel, the trigger, nada, so i carry what I know works well, and feels right to me. Use what works for you.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Senior Moderator
    I'm probably an exception on this, but I love the way a Glock trigger feels. Especially the short, snappy reset. But I can't get comfortable with a Glock. It's like Massod Ayoob says, "The good thing about a Glock is it's easy to shoot. The bad thing about a Glock is it's easy to shoot. " It's the latter part that bothers me. If I need to leave my gun in the car for a short period of time, I don't mind putting a loaded Sig, H&K, revolver, or XD for that matter in a glove box, console, or under the seat. But I am really uncomfortable doing that with a Glock. All it takes is that pen, screwdriver, a tube of lipstick your wife lost in the car, etc. to get in that easy Glock trigger. For longer periods of time, I would unload, so it's a non-issue.

I have simply removed my holster with the gun in it; that makes the Glock as safe as any but it requires an easy on/easy off holster.

Another issue with Glock is the unique grip angle. Almost every other modern handgun grip is very close to the 1911 grip angle and if you go back and forth between most guns and a Glock, you may have shoot high/shoot low problems, esp. if you point shoot.

Then there's the grip treatments that "fix" the grip angle. The fix is functional, but all I have seen are, how shall I say this tactfully, I know - ugly.

Although it doesn't appear so, I really like Glocks; I've got a 9mm in every size except for the G34 which I used to have.

This wasn't what you asked, but if you could try a H&K P2000 LEM, you may find your Glock question solved.

New Member Array mark greenfield's Avatar
    Fortyfive,
    I carry a glock 19 every day it the best carry gun i have bought yet. I could not be happier with the gun it shoots great very reliable and easy to conceal and with 16 rounds u wont feel out gunned. I am not a bit worried about the safty issue i feel the gun is very safe if carried in the proper holster. I think glock make a very good reliable gun

The 9MM is the best Glock, and IMO the 19 is the cream of the crop.

Shot lots of ammo thru Glocks, but only tolerate them, however when I carry one it is the 19.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'd probably go with Tangle on trying the HK LEM modification, or maybe the SIG DAK trigger system.

If you prefer the .45, you could carry that (a ton of people on this forum carry that way), or you could pick up an HK USP or USPc and carry it Con 1 like a 1911...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Thanks for the response, it gives me time to research what everyone has brought up. Glad I got this many!!!
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    I'd probably go with Tangle on trying the HK LEM modification, or maybe the SIG DAK trigger system.

If you prefer the .45, you could carry that (a ton of people on this forum carry that way), or you could pick up an HK USP or USPc and carry it Con 1 like a 1911...

--Jim
    Oooooo - the Sig DAK; I forgot all about that. That has got to be the sweetest, smoothest, DAO trigger made. I like it even better than the P2000 LEM I suggested! I must have had a senior moment to forget the DAK.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hey 45,we're not through with you yet. I don't own a Glock. I don't especially like the Glock:--trigger--ergonomics--looks--plas sis-sissity(that is really a word)I swear--and other things that I can't even put into words. My CCW and competition weapons are ALL 1911's. But for what it's worth,I have shot probably 350-500 rds. out of Glocks in 6 different configurations/calibers. They ALL(in my expierance) shoot well. They are strong,very sturdy,easy to get parts(but you will probably never need them) easy to modify,can wear all kinds of sights,there is an endless supply of accessories and support gear,and come in enough calibers to interest any body. I am close friends with 10 or 12 people that bet their life on them everyday. These guys are "independent contractors" working in far off places. The guys at my club that own them, love them. Glocks are just like 1911's in that you gotta love them to carry them. If you love the Glocks,buy one (in any caliber offered)and carry it. Just don't try to convince anybody that it's pretty.--------- P.S Let me know when they start making a mid size,single stack,in 10mm. If so,I take back everything that said.--------

Senior Moderator
    Now that my brain seems to be re-engaged, a sigpro would be worth looking at too. I had mine out of the safe just the other day and was re-impressed with it. Nice DA and SA trigger; nice size; very competitive in cost; high quality.

Lead Moderator
    you need to buy what you can shoot effectively. Or feels natural to ya. I don't hate Glocks , but they don't fit my hand as well as other pistols do. Lots of great options out there for carry.

Geez, just when it looks like I might run off at check into something other great ideas flow in, what a bunch of great shooters. Appreciate the hard effort, I am listing the thread so it will be simpler to ask for donations. Just kidding. Thanks very much guys.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

First you need to see if a glock will point for you well... I seem to be a lucky personin that i can go froma glock to 1911 to wheelie and never lose point of aim.

if glock wont point then it wont shoot for you .. 2nd to look at the xd you can get 17 in it i think in the 4 inch version its round size of a Glock 19.

When i carry a Glock i carry the fullsize 17 the minis wont shoot for me i had the terrible exp with my 36 couldnt hit broad side of barn so it went..

But i can shoot the xd9mm subcompact just fine must be finger grooves... Hk is great to with the lem trigger feels different but nice till you get used to it (only shot 50 or so in a hk with lem)

As for sig no experance but now after spending lots of money on guns ole slabsides is what i pack 95% of the time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links