Would Jesus Christ carry a Concealed Weapon?

This is a discussion on Would Jesus Christ carry a Concealed Weapon? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Townhall.com::Would Christ Carry a Concealed Weapon?::By Doug Giles Would Christ Carry a Concealed Weapon? By Doug Giles Saturday, March 1, 2008 I was on a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would Jesus Christ carry a Concealed Weapon?

Townhall.com::Would Christ Carry a Concealed Weapon?::By Doug Giles

Would Christ Carry a Concealed Weapon?
    By Doug Giles
    Saturday, March 1, 2008

I was on a talk show the other day defending the Second Amendment and discussing with my host the stupid, unconstitutional and woefully inadequate D.C. gun ban. I made it clear that I am a Christian who is extremely cool (to the point of being giddy) with our right to keep and bear arms.

After we trounced the anti-gun lobby for their goofy, doe-eyed, John Lennon-like “Imagine” solutions to violent crime, we opened up the phone lines for folks to weigh in with their two cents. The first caller was a woman who asked if I thought Jesus would carry a weapon if He were here today, to which I quickly replied, yes, of course He would—especially if He lived in Miami and was driving down I-95 at four o’clock in the morning.

The female caller, being far more spiritual than I am, didn’t think it was funny and went on to make it personal by asking if someone were attacking one of my daughters and I had a gun if I thought Christ would be cool with me killing the felonious freak. I told her that I sure hoped He would because otherwise He’d be terribly disappointed in me and would just have to forgive me. Common sense and primal instinct tell me that the bad guy should die and the good girl should live. Call me carnal.

Of course the holier-than-me caller was aghast that as a Christian I would have no problem whatsoever defending my friends, family, person and possessions with deadly force. Her reason being was that she couldn’t picture Jesus doing it and concluded that because she couldn’t wrap her mind around Him green-lighting the destruction of a demented perp that He certainly wouldn’t and thus I shouldn’t.

When discussing what Christ would do in a given situation, it’s usually good to actually go to the gospels, read them and then draw conclusions. Here’s what I’ve gotten after scouring Scripture a few times:

1. Jesus in His earthly ministry didn’t carry a weapon except the time when He took a whip (a whip! You gotta love it!) and Billy Jack’ed the televangelists out of the temple. He didn’t chide them or write them a strong but tasteful e-mail asking them to please not do that kind of stuff in church.

What did the meek and mild Messiah do? He whipped them. God, I hope you got that on DVD for me to watch when I get to heaven. I wonder if the Christ-is-a-pacifist-wuss-lady can picture sweet Jesus laying the leather to the backs of the marketers who were making His father’s house a place of merchandise.

If Christ were to do that today He’d be thrown in prison, and 99.9% of churches in the USA wouldn’t have Him speak at their annual Hallelujah Aren’t We Fabulous conference because Jesus wouldn’t be behaving very Christ-like.

2. It’s clear from Scripture that Jesus didn’t need weapons because He had at his disposal an angelic host that could flatten armies. I unfortunately don’t have that capability. Nor can I walk through walls or split oceans. Christ had supernatural protection, and His disciples carried swords. I, too, believe that God supernaturally protects me, to some degree, because I should have been dead a long time ago. However, should my guardian angel be napping or busy doing something else other than trying to keep up with me, I’ll be okay, because Smith & Wesson art with me as well.

3. Lastly, in Luke 22:36-38 Christ told his disciples, even though He personally did not pack a weapon, that they, in light of His departure, should get a deadly weapon—namely a sword. Check it out . . .

“And he [Jesus] said to them [His disciples], ‘But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, ‘And he was numbered with transgressors’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.’ They said, ‘Lord, look, here are two swords.’ And He said to them, ‘It is enough.’”

Jesus told them—didn’t ask or mildly suggest—but told His buddies to sell their leather jacket if need be and buy a sword. The sword which Christ told his compadres to purchase was not a QVC decorative Claymore to hang on their walls to commemorate the good times they had when Christ was around. The original word used for sword in this text was a large knife used for killing animals and cutting flesh. It was particularly fashioned for short, deadly thrusts in hand-to-hand combat.

Jesus didn’t tell them to carry a whistle, a shofar horn, or a bag of sand to blow in bad guys’ eyes, but a dagger-like sword. A vicious, nasty and deadly weapon not used for cutting vegetables, spreading butter or splitting a bagel but for violently tapping a lung or heart in case of an attack. Now, in a 21st century WWJD context, even though He didn’t personally carry a weapon, what do you think He thinks about His followers defending themselves with deadly force, huh, pacifists?

Doug Giles’ new book “A Time to Clash: Papers from a Provocative Pastor” is now available. Ann Coulter says "Doug Giles’ A Time to Clash is a substantive and funny tour de force for traditional values.” Doug’s award winning talk show and video blog can be seen and heard at Doug Giles, Townhall columnist, conservative talk radio, ClashTV, ClashRadio.

Be the first to read Doug Giles' column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com delivered each morning to your inbox

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
    The female caller, being far more spiritual than I am, didn’t think it was funny and went on to make it personal by asking if someone were attacking one of my daughters and I had a gun if I thought Christ would be cool with me killing the felonious freak.
    And what would SHE do if someone were attacking her daughter?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I would have loved to see the look on the sour lady's face when she heard those answers!

Some people just don't get it. I'm glad for my family's sake that I DO get it. And if I have to shoot an attempted rapist or kidnapper, I don't think I'll need to ask for forgiveness. But if I fail to protect my family, then that would be a gross error on my part.

Yep, for some things forgiveness isn't necessary. Carrying a weapon and protecting my family are included in that category.

I feel sorry (sometimes) for those who forfeit their safety by their own poor choices.

If Jesus did carry a weapon, I assume in his 'Mighty Wisdom', that he'd carry a 1911...maybe a Kimber?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Good post.

I am reminded of when Peter took his sword and whacked the ear off of the Roman Soldier that was coming to arrest Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemanie.

Jesus took the ear and placed it back on the soldiers head. Most people assume that Peter intended to deter the soldier by lopping off his ear, however I doubt that. I think that he intended to take off his head, and bounced the sword off of the soldiers steel helmet, which resulted in a glancing blow that cut his ear off.

The Bible has several examples of defense and how it was in accordance with the law at that time. Clearly it was seen as a mans duty to be able to protect himself,family and country from aggression and failure to do so was seen as cowardly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

He would not carry.

His "911" call would being more Angels down on whatever situation that would require "force" that He doesn't need to carry - His "lethal force" is Absolute.

He would FULLY support us carrying.

The "claim" made by those who try to use Him to justify disarmament is a fallacy and is easy to counter-claim. Who else is like Jesus Christ?
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

The Bible also says that a man who won't protect his family is worse than an infidel.sj

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I wonder if the lady would prefer that LEO's not use deadly force to end felonies in progress?

IMHO it is disrespectful to our Creator when we value our life so little that we wouldn't lift a finger in our own defense.

What's a 1911 compared to a legion of angels?
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

That the beauty of concealed carry. We'd never know unless he needed to use it. I don't want to be the BG that pulls on Jesus.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

When one holds all the cards, when one knows the outcome even before the battle is waged, what need is there for a CCW?

One of these days, I will have no need to carry, I hope the final stop will be a place where weapons are not needed at all.

Or, I could be issued a bright shiny new pitchfork...

JD
    Administrator

Great post.

Jesus, the Word Incarnate, wouldn't need to carry, but he might do it anyway, just because he can.

This whole thing reminds me of the words of a certain country bishop that I know and love, when he said of Jesus in a sermon on pacifism...

"We do not worship a sissy Christ!!!"
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If Jesus did carry a weapon, I assume in his 'Mighty Wisdom', that he'd carry a 1911...maybe a Kimber?
    I did a study in college. The Roman translation of "a legion of angles" was either, "Whoa, I am out of here" or "Glock". Didn't make any sense back then but now I understand it.

I agree with all the previous posts. Jesus was never attacked. No one dared. However, the bible is clear that we are allowed to defend ourselves and our families.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

If I knew I was heading into a gun fight, I wouldn't go. I imagine the same thing would apply to Jesus.
    If I knew everything that was going to happen, then I wouldn't carry a gun, I wouldn't need to.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links