New 1911?

New 1911?

This is a discussion on New 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is looking for a 5", .45 cal. stainless 1911 with adj sights and wood grips. At this time, he is considering a Kimber ...

Thread: New 1911?

New 1911?

My son is looking for a 5", .45 cal. stainless 1911 with adj sights and wood grips. At this time, he is considering a Kimber or Springer. Which model(s) fit this description, and is the most reliable for under 1K?
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

JD
    Administrator
    The adjustable sights on a Springer or Kimber is probably going to put you over 1K...

Kimber Stainless Gold Match II MSRP $1427 with a shop price of around $1100-$1200.

Kimber Stainless Target II, no wood grips, with an MSRP of $1025, you're probably going be looking at an actual price of 1K after tax and background check.

Springfield Trophy Match No MSRP listed on website, but GunsAmerica puts them at $1250

Regarding "most reliable" I'd have to put my money on Springfield, this is purely my opinion based on MY experiences with Kimber.

That and I'd rather not have the Kimber firing pin safety.

Springfield does offer the Loaded model in stainless with the adjustable sights.

Edited to add:

The Springfield Loaded w/ adjustable sights will come in under 1K provided you shop around.

I have a CDNN catalog in the car, that will probably have the lowest price available for a NIB Springfield Loaded.

JD
    Administrator
    Ok, CDNN doesn't have the price listed in the book...

So I called them, they have the Springfield Loaded 5" Stainless with wood grips and adjustable sights for under $800.

After shipping and transfer, you'll be at around $900.

That is probably your best bet for you're stated options.

If you shop around, and can find one in stock (I've seen very few Loaded Springers w/ the adjustable sights in stock) you might be able to beat that price.

If I may ask, why the adjustable sights? That's what's kicking up the price range. If this is for a carry gun, I'd stay away from the adjustable sights, if it's for a match gun....well I'd still rather have a good set of fixed sights, but I'm not the one buying the gun....

Given the listed requirements and looking at Kimber and Springfield, and the desired price range, and reliability concerns. I'd say it's the Springfield Loaded or nothing.

The basic stainless Kimber Custom II's can be found in the $800 range quite often, again without adjustable sights. Like JD, I don't want adjustables. Grips can be changed out anytime to many types of materials.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Not a fan, or a knowall of 1911's - but I'd recommend the Kimber over the Springster.

2. Tell him to not let grips be a deal breaker. Grips for a 1911 are easier to find than any other part of that gun.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Hey, I didn't know they sold a Loaded with adjustables, thanks for the info on that.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Springfield.

Three reasons not to buy a Springfield.
    1) Positively smokin' deal on something else comparable
    2) Option from another manufacturer you must have
    3) You are POSITIVE you'll never mod the gun.

If those don't apply, buy a Springfield. Their frames are very good quality material, customer service is excellent in the unlikely event you need it, and the frames are milled and drilled square. The last point is important if you ever want to mod the pistol. Makes life much easier, not fitting parts to a caddywhompus frame.

I agree about the grips, too. Don't even consider what's on the gun at purchase. Buy for the steel, grips are plentiful and range from utilitarian and cheap to gorgeous and expensive.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Hey, I didn't know they sold a Loaded with adjustables, thanks for the info on that.
    Yep, you can get one in stainless steel, or the blackened stainless steel w/ adjustable sights.

Links