Range Upgrades- Need Your Input

This is a discussion on Range Upgrades- Need Your Input within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So if you dont already know, i am the president of my schools pistol club. This morning I had a meeting with the head of ...

Thread: Range Upgrades- Need Your Input

So if you dont already know, i am the president of my schools pistol club. This morning I had a meeting with the head of the building that our range is in about possible range improvements. One of the main things we could use is a new target track system. Currently we have cables on pulleys that we hang target hangers on that are driven by electric motors. Its not a bad system, but we do have a lot of problems with targets swinging, and also the cables break quite a bit.
    does anyone know of any companies out there that make decent systems for this?
    Also, we want to have a "range in use" sign or something similar that lights up when we are shooting. just a little sign with a switch on it that we can turn on and off so people know when hearing protection is required to enter the range.
    Any good cheap solutions anyone can think of?
    any other input would be great.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

A regular light with a dedicated switch with a red bulb, and a sign that says "Range in Use When Light is Lit" would probably be the cheapest option for your sign.

You could probably even get your 'shop' guys to do it as a project.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

Beat me to it.

See if you can get your shop guys involved for fabricating some of your items.

It seems like those indoor targets are always swinging. I usually run mine all the way out to the end really fast, and then the bottom of the cardboard gets stuck a little on the bits of rubber back there on the backstop. That keeps it steady for me. But at 10 yards, you just have to wait until it stops. Sucks if you care, but it seems most shooters at the indoor ranges I've been to wouldn't care if there was a target there at all! I think the light idea is good. Simple, cheap, effective.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    A regular light with a dedicated switch with a red bulb, and a sign that says "Range in Use When Light is Lit" would probably be the cheapest option for your sign.

When I was working in my college radio station, we had "On the Air" lights outside the door to each studio. This could either be rigged up by the electricians at your college or you could look for such a pre-made device under Broadcasting equipment or perhaps Range equipment. Someone could take an "Exit" sign and re-letter the glass (or replace the frosted glass and letter appropriately) . . . this could be a college shop project, then put it on a switch for the range lights or other switch to be put on when range is in use.

Cascade makes range alleys. We have them at our club with electric driven target holders. Yes some folks do shoot them up occasionally (mostly ricochets), so baffling to protect them might be required for longevity. Contact Cascade and they should be able to assist you.

While looking for contact info on Cascade (and failing), I found the following list of resources that might help you:

RangeInfo.org

Also another source of info:

Firing Range | Whole Building Design Guide

Senior Moderator
    You can attach a small chain or heavy twine to the bottom of the target that drags on the ground.

This will act like a tail on a kite and keep them from swinging. I would ditch the motors and use hand power pulleys with paracord. It would be much easier to fix when they break.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Attach some lengths of nylon rope to the bottom corners of the targets. Tie a large knot at the bottom of them where they drag the floor just a little bit. If your range has distances taped on the floor, this will help to stop the target at the wanted distance AND stop them from swinging sooner.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Slow down the speed of the motors. We have a hand crank system. When cranked slowly the targets don't flap around.

Adding a porch light outside the door with a switch would be fairly cheap. You just have to remind the shooters to turn them on and off.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

My range has a really slick system. Its got motorized pulleys, and a cotrol box for each bay. You simply hit P for position, the distance in numbers, then * and it goes right out. It doesnt suffer from the swinging problem I see at other ranges. (unless your punching paper with shotgun loads) they use two clamps covered by v shaped angle iron pieces suspended from the carriage. I'll try and find out who makes it, but im sure it will be pricey.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Everybody is complaining about swinging targets... aren't we practicing to shoot the bad guys? They don't stand still waiting for it; they're running in your direction, trying to kill you.

But anyway, in the interest of range safety I have a routine. Run target out, sweep previous brass, organize guns and ammo. It's not usually a problem by then. If the range is relatively empty, I might occupy two lanes -- shoot one while the other stabilizes.

Is it possible to attach an eye bolt to the bottom of the target frame and pass a cable through it which is attached at both ends of the lane? Maybe weld a rod from the top of the carrier down to about 6 inches off the ground and bend the end into a loop...

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I put a used target behind my target on our indoor range. This helps stabilize it wrt air currents (we have a vigorous HEPA system) and after being run out to the distance you want to shoot at. Another trick mentioned to me was attaching a large paper-clip at the bottom of the target to add weight to stabilize it quicker.
    Last edited by LenS; March 5th, 2008 at 08:23 AM.

Wait you have a range at school... mmm the thought. I wouldn't have to drive half an hour minimum every time I wanted to shoot.

Little moments of bliss like that make any day good.

Links