Question about 1911s

This is a discussion on Question about 1911s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my Kimber Tactical Ultra II to the range today with two boxes of CCI Blaser Brass, to get some range time, and to ...

Thread: Question about 1911s

Question about 1911s

I took my Kimber Tactical Ultra II to the range today with two boxes of CCI Blaser Brass, to get some range time, and to check on the work Kimber had done for me under Warranty. They replaced the slide, adjusted the spring, and polished the barrel chamber and feed ramp. all for a feeding issue.

It shot all 100 rounds just find, with only one jam/feed problem. However, I began to notice something after each mag loadup. As the gun fouled up from powder, It felt "gritty" if you will. the slide didnt rack as fast when I hit the slide release. (where not talking a huge slowdown here though) fresh rounds felt gritty going into the mags, etc.

Anyway, I am wondering. do you 1911 vetereans run a brush and/or boresnake through the gun after so many rounds, just to clean up the gun and keep it smooth while your at the range, or do you even notice this with your guns? perhaps im over oiling? I follow Kimbers instructions as best I can.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Nope, my SA 1911 doesn't need cleaning during even long range sessions. I usually clean my guns after each range session but on two occasions I did not with my 1911 and a couple of others. None of them jammed including the 1911.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Did you do a good cleaning after recieving it back form having the work done. If they polished surffases there may still be some polishing compound left in gun. I would hope that they cleaned it good but I wouldn't count on it.
    Do a good cleaning and lube job.

JD
    Administrator
    Whats the total round count through the Kimber?

Given that this is a new slide, that 500 round recommended break in....yeah, you probably have to do it all over again.

To answer the question: It depends on the gun and the rounds, and the overall round count. Currently my Colt likes a little oil thrown on after about 200. With my Springer and my Baer, I've never had to wipe or lube while at the range.

1K between cleanings if needed.

A 1911 should get you through at least 1,000 rounds without so much as thinking about cleaning it. There are some problems that a lot of shooters bring on themselves without realizing it.

Lubrication. The 1911 demands to be lubed well. If firing sprays oil on you and your range buddies, you've got enough. Well, not quite that bad. I'd recommend that for breaking in a new slide, though. Lube the frame/rails, barrel/bushing, barrel/slide locking lugs, a drop or three of oil on the internals before assembly, and a drop or two down the firing pin tunnel. Don't be stingy with lube, your pistol will choke.

Magazines. Most factory supplied mags are of questionable quality. Pick up some Metalform or Colt mags. Other mags are good, for example I've got a bunch of CMC mags. They don't run well in EVERY handgun I have, though. The Metalform and Colt do.

I'm wondering how they "adjusted" a spring. Stretch it like a slinky? Clip a coil off? Personally, I'd spend 7 or 8 bucks and buy a Wolff replacement. Much better than any OEM I've ever seen.

Smile My Thoughts......

Sounds like you have a tight slide to frame fit.Clean it good and lube it. It should break in after use,depending on how tight it is. If it doesn't after a few hundred rounds,you could mark the rails and channels to check the fit, and hand polish any tight spots for clearance.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Nope, my SA 1911 doesn't need cleaning during even long range sessions. I usually clean my guns after each range session but on two occasions I did not with my 1911 and a couple of others. None of them jammed including the 1911.
    Well, thats what I figured. I clean all my guns meticulously after every use. I was just curious because my Glock, XD, and PT111 dont seem to exhibit the symptoms I described earlier. Given that the 1911 is a different platform, I wasnt sure.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Did you do a good cleaning after recieving it back form having the work done. If they polished surffases there may still be some polishing compound left in gun. I would hope that they cleaned it good but I wouldn't count on it.
    Do a good cleaning and lube job.
    Yes. In fact, Jimmy from Kimber warned me to clean the gun when I got it back, as they ran about 7 mags through it before it left them to come back to me. Also, as particular as I am, I would take it apart anyway, to double check their work, considering what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Whats the total round count through the Kimber?

Given that this is a new slide, that 500 round recommended break in....yeah, you probably have to do it all over again.

To answer the question: It depends on the gun and the rounds, and the overall round count. Currently my Colt likes a little oil thrown on after about 200. With my Springer and my Baer, I've never had to wipe or lube while at the range.
    Hmm, well im not really sure to be honest. I got it used as a christmas gift from wifey. When she gave it to me, I broke it down and examined it real good, It didnt seem to have a lot of wear on the internals. some wear on the rails, on the barrel hood where it contacts the top inside the slide, but nothing too aggressive that I could tell. I'd say it seem to have more wear on the outside edges of the slide from holstering.

Jimmy at Kimber thought it had a couple of years use on it.

As far as what ive put through it, its about 400 total. 100 from me, and about 100 at Kimber. 150 on the new slide, including Kimber's post install testing.

I asked Jimmy about a break in period since it has a new slide, im thinking it will need one, he didnt seem to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
    A 1911 should get you through at least 1,000 rounds without so much as thinking about cleaning it. There are some problems that a lot of shooters bring on themselves without realizing it.

Lubrication. The 1911 demands to be lubed well. If firing sprays oil on you and your range buddies, you've got enough. Well, not quite that bad. I'd recommend that for breaking in a new slide, though. Lube the frame/rails, barrel/bushing, barrel/slide locking lugs, a drop or three of oil on the internals before assembly, and a drop or two down the firing pin tunnel. Don't be stingy with lube, your pistol will choke.

Magazines. Most factory supplied mags are of questionable quality. Pick up some Metalform or Colt mags. Other mags are good, for example I've got a bunch of CMC mags. They don't run well in EVERY handgun I have, though. The Metalform and Colt do.

I'm wondering how they "adjusted" a spring. Stretch it like a slinky? Clip a coil off? Personally, I'd spend 7 or 8 bucks and buy a Wolff replacement. Much better than any OEM I've ever seen.
    Ok, the consensus on part of it seems to be a break in period, which makes good sense to me.

I may be slightly under oiling perhaps. I put oil where your saying, just not as much. Im used to Glocks, XD, and Taurus tupperware.

I have a Wilson mag for it, everyone seems to be out of them locally, or id buy more. it seems to do really well.

As far as the spring goes. Im not sure what he did with it. I dont recall if the spring was pinched on both ends. its not now. by pinched I mean the last coil on the end is bent downwards to make it flat. in order to seat on its perch properly. It may have been cut on one end. The timing all seems to be ok, as I said, its function just fine. I think the one jam I had may have been due to fouling. I would have like to have run another 200 rounds through it yesterday, but my wallet thickness begged to differ.

I may throw in a Wolf just for kicks, I had that suggestion from someone else at the range yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    Sounds like you have a tight slide to frame fit.Clean it good and lube it. It should break in after use,depending on how tight it is. If it doesn't after a few hundred rounds,you could mark the rails and channels to check the fit, and hand polish any tight spots for clearance.
    Sounds good. Im gonna put another 100-200 through it and see where its at.

You might try using graphite on the slides.

I had a similar problem with my Walther PPKs. This Walther was made to such tight tolerance, that in stainless the slide started gumming up after only 50 rounds. One time, I happen to bring my cleaning box with me to the range, so I tried cleaning it, and lubed the slide with graphite, and that was the end of the problems.

A good cleaning and then a very conservative application of Tetra Gun Grease to the slide rails on the frame and slide. Don't leave any excess per say. Very lightly coat the rails and lightly buff off any excess after running your slide back and forth to work it in. The Tetra will work into the pores of the metal and will not sling off during firing. It's that very thin transparent film that makes your rails super slick. A little goes a long ways ! It is amazing on 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    You might try using graphite on the slides.

I had a similar problem with my Walther PPKs. This Walther was made to such tight tolerance, that in stainless the slide started gumming up after only 50 rounds. One time, I happen to bring my cleaning box with me to the range, so I tried cleaning it, and lubed the slide with graphite, and that was the end of the problems.
    and..

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    A good cleaning and then a very conservative application of Tetra Gun Grease to the slide rails on the frame and slide. Don't leave any excess per say. Very lightly coat the rails and lightly buff off any excess after running your slide back and forth to work it in. The Tetra will work into the pores of the metal and will not sling off during firing. It's that very thin transparent film that makes your rails super slick. A little goes a long ways ! It is amazing on 1911's.
    I will try this. I have some Tetra Grease I use on my other pistols.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    I will try this. I have some Tetra Grease I use on my other pistols.

Thanks for your input everyone!
    Tetra will make your 1911 happy.

Here's some good advice: Find a Master pistolsmith who specializes in 1911's and give him the pistol to fix it. Sending it to Kimber or anybody else will result in your gun being turned over to an assembler, not necessarily a qualified 'smith. The difference can be pretty dramatic. my 1911's run flawlessly because I adopted this practice 20 years ago. A 1911 can either be a gun like no other to shoot or an absolute nightmare you never want to own again. As for lubrication, I use no more in mine than I use in any other semi-auto, even my Glocks. the trick is the kind of lube you use. For me, it is Castrol Syntech. YES THE MOTOR OIL! it is the best gun lube ever made, and cheap compared to some of the other stuff out there, even with todays oil prices. It is an oil slick enough for any application you may have, and stays where you put it, so there will be little or no splatter.

Try it
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

My rule of thumb---If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it. Try it, you may lke it.

I have been known to use Castrol Syntec and have been very pleased with it.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Here's some good advice: Find a Master pistolsmith who specializes in 1911's and give him the pistol to fix it. Sending it to Kimber or anybody else will result in your gun being turned over to an assembler, not necessarily a qualified 'smith. The difference can be pretty dramatic. my 1911's run flawlessly because I adopted this practice 20 years ago. A 1911 can either be a gun like no other to shoot or an absolute nightmare you never want to own again. As for lubrication, I use no more in mine than I use in any other semi-auto, even my Glocks. the trick is the kind of lube you use. For me, it is Castrol Syntech. YES THE MOTOR OIL! it is the best gun lube ever made, and cheap compared to some of the other stuff out there, even with todays oil prices. It is an oil slick enough for any application you may have, and stays where you put it, so there will be little or no splatter.

Try it
    Ill keep all this in mind. I dont have anyone in town I trust just yet to mess with my guns, probably because im pretty mechanically inclined myself, and am kinda picky. Im sure ill find someone eventually.

Kimber did a really good job IMO, as far as the work and customer service went. I spoke with the guy during each step of diagnosing and repair, so I felt OK about it all. Worst part is, I had t pay shipping.

Links