Kids and Guns

Kids and Guns

This is a discussion on Kids and Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Written by Jonathan K. "Kaymen" Adkins, Sr. March 5, 2008 In today’s world you would be hard pressed to find a more controversial topic then ...

Thread: Kids and Guns

Kids and Guns

Written by Jonathan K. "Kaymen" Adkins, Sr.
    March 5, 2008

In today’s world you would be hard pressed to find a more controversial topic then kids and guns. As a parent, there is nothing more important to me then the safety of my son. I want him to be safe and secure at all times. I want to shield him from all the dangers in our world. But at the same time I know I cannot always protect him, I will not always be around. I want him to have the skills, the ability, and the strength to stand on his own. I want him to become a good strong man. How do I obtain these goals? It is a sad realization that all parents come to at some point, we are not able to protect our children twenty four/seven. Kids are inquisitive and curious, it is how they learn and develop. They ask questions and test their limits. When you were a child if you did not test your physical limits and try to craw, stand, or walk where would you be today? Still lying in the floor hoping someone will come and change you?

I know there are folks out there that would say all we need to protect our children is the abolishment of guns and private gun ownership. However this is an unrealistic and unachievable goal. Evil does exist, there are people out there that intend to do us harm. Their reasoning can be religious, political, or perverted to me why does not matter. The fact that they do exist is enough for me to take whatever action I can to stay safe. The same goes for my child. The answer is not more gun control it is education. By teaching our children how to be safe and responsible gun owners then are we not only sharing a fun and rewarding experience with them, but we are giving them the skills they need to protect themselves when we are not around.

Children have a natural curiosity if you try to hide something from them and say, “do not touch” that just makes them want it even more. The forbidden fruit is at times just too tempting. By removing the mystery and taking the time to teach your child that a weapon is a tool, it can provide food, security, and enjoyment – when used properly. How many times have we all heard the story of two small children finding the parent’s gun? I want my child to know that a weapon is a tool and how to use it properly. I feel it is my duty to raise my child to take his place in society, teach him how to be a good man and how to do the right thing. That it is the duty of the strong to help the weak. Who knows it may save his life someday or someday it may even save my life.

A little backgound, from a personal blog

An old soldier and now a new father
    Written by Jonathan K. "Kaymen" Adkins
    October 7, 2007

A former soldier and a new father takes a long look at the world. It has been three months now since my son was born. He now looks up at me and smiles when I walk in the room. I can see in his eyes the recognition and the bond forming between father and son. I remember the first time I held him, minutes after his birth. He was wrapped in a blanket still covered with blood and afterbirth. I loved him before he was born, before I looked into his blue eyes. He is my son, it is my duty to protect him and raise him to be a man. I prey I can get it right and not screw him up. I want him to be a better man then his father; I want him to be strong and stand tall, I want him to know how to make the hard choices and do what is right. But I am also afraid for him, what will he have to go through in his life?

The more I think about it, the more I am not sure if I want him to follow in my foot steps. I was a soldier like my father before me. I served my country and I did my duty with pride. While I will not trade my experiences for anything, I think they made me a better man and I carry the lessons I learned from my time in the military with me in everything I do. But, I am not sure if I want my son to make the same sacrifices and suffer the same hardships I did. It is not an easy job serving your country. The commitment and the responsibilities are hard to bear. They ask a lot and I gave up a lot and I lost a lot along the way, but that does not tarnish the honor I felt to serve.

We live in difficult and dangerous times, there is evil in this world of ours and it will be our brave sons and daughters that will have to go out someday and confront that evil. We did it, but now as I look back, I remember the foolishness of youth, I thought I was indestructible, I still joke today and say that I am immortal, if I have not died from my own stupidity already I will live forever. As a father now I am afraid my son will be one of the recklessly brave boys that will also believe he is indestructible. I guess that is the irony of life it is the award for surviving, if you live long enough you will see your children do the same foolish and stubborn things you did when you were young. If that is true I am in for a very hard time has a father.

+1 Well said. It is much easier to teach them safety than it is to hide it from them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

AIDS, cars, alcohol, and drugs make me worry. Kids (with training) and guns don't.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

To me this issue is one of those things that every parent dredds.
    I was raised with guns in the home my whole life both my parents were active shooters in skeet and hand guns, my father worked the last 20 years of his life for Brinks as an armed messanger so he carried every day, I won my first gun at trap shooting match at the age of 12 with my folks for one dollar provided by my Dad and I still own the Ithaca Model 37 featherlight 12 guage shot gun.
    My brothers and I were taught very early on how to properly handle and shoot several types of weapons and there was always one loaded revolver in the house when dad was home.
    There was high price (to high to even think about it) to be paid with Dad if we broke any rules with the guns in the house, the ammo was always locked up and to this day I still don't know where he keep the safe ( I'm 45 now) All I know we had a great time shooting trap and hunting with my brothers and we never had a single issue with guns in the house because we were taught gun safety at a very early age.
    My wife had different Ideas about guns she hates them will not shoot much less touch one so our kids were raised without the gun training and this issue just came up again about a month ago in our house with the grandson ( an issue I will relate in the other forum).
    I would love to teach him the right and wrong of gun safety but that's up to my daughter and son in law( my daughter will lose because my son in law is avid hunter and US Marine with 2 tours of Iraq behind him and one more in 10 month)
    I recently started shooting again and I'm waiting on sheriff to call with my CCW permit.
    My son now 24 has asked to go shooting with me when he comes home this summer from college. ( I can't wait we always have fun together)
    Some of the best memories I have of my parents are the ones we spent on the range, nothing was cooler then go to school and my buddies would be bragging that thier folks took them to the lake or to park over the weekend and I could say that we went trap shooting and I took 23 of 25 birds saturday and my mom beat me with 24!
    So teach them now, start while they are young remove thier curiosity for guns and replace it with knowledge of gun safety.
    Not only will you be prefecting your skills to protect you son but you will passing along the skills for him to protect his kids someday
    Take you son shooting he will remember it the rest of his life.
    I DID
    Thanks DAD I love you.
    John
    Last edited by wyldman; March 6th, 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo

Outstanding, wyldman.

There's a user on here who could tell you a good story. It would make me look bad but only out of context.

Maybe I will figure out what his forum-name is when he provides the story.

But I knew we had never even owned ammunition for the gun so it was all good.

- 10-finger / 10-toe me. (Re-attached earlobe, but that wasn't a guns fault. )

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman View Post
    To me this issue is one of those things that every parent dredds.
    I was raised with guns in the home my whole life both my parents were active shooters in skeet and hand guns, my father worked the last 20 years of his life for Brinks as an armed messanger so he carried every day, I won my first gun at trap shooting match at the age of 12 with my folks for one dollar provided by my Dad and I still own the Ithaca Model 37 featherlight 12 guage shot gun.
    My brothers and I were taught very early on how to properly handle and shoot several types of weapons and there was always one loaded revolver in the house when dad was home.
    There was high price (to high to even think about it) to be paid with Dad if we broke any rules with the guns in the house, the ammo was always locked up and to this day I still don't know where he keep the safe ( I'm 45 now) All I know we had a great time shooting trap and hunting with my brothers and we never had a single issue with guns in the house because we were taught gun safety at a very early age.
    My wife had different Ideas about guns she hates them will not shoot much less touch one so our kids were raised without the gun training and this issue just came up again about a month ago in our house with the grandson ( an issue I will relate in the other forum).
    I would love to teach him the right and wrong of gun safety but that's up to my daughter and son in law( my daughter will lose because my son in law is avid hunter and US Marine with 2 tours of Iraq behind him and one more in 10 month)
    I recently started shooting again and I'm waiting on sheriff to call with my CCW permit.
    My son now 24 has asked to go shooting with me when he comes home this summer from college. ( I can't wait we always have fun together)
    Some of the best memories I have of my parents are the ones we spent on the range, nothing was cooler then go to school and my buddies would be bragging that thier folks took them to the lake or to park over the weekend and I could say that we went trap shooting and I took 23 of 25 birds saturday and my mom beat me with 24!
    So teach them now, start while they are young remove thier curiosity for guns and replace it with knowledge of gun safety.
    Not only will you be prefecting your skills to protect you son but you will passing along the skills for him to protect his kids someday
    Take you son shooting he will remember it the rest of his life.
    I DID
    Thanks DAD I love you.
    John
    Simply outstanding. You brought back plenty of fond memories between my Dad and me. I first started shooting with my Dad at an old abandon Japanese air strip on Guam in the mid 60's. I have to say, as a boy growing up, the best time of my life and has strong bonding ties to my Dad. We don't shoot together anymore and I had hope to inspire the same interest with my son but, to my disappointment , he'd rather play a video game. I have taught my son gun safety. I hope some day I'll get to see him use it on the range.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Kaymen, I'm glad you found this forum, and think your son is in good hands.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Links