Only 17 minute response! Active shooter near my house!

This is a discussion on Only 17 minute response! Active shooter near my house! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; this afternoon was awakened from my catatonic stupor in front of the computer by the sounds of gunfire... heard first one - went to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 17 minute response! Active shooter near my house!

Only 17 minute response! Active shooter near my house!

this afternoon was awakened from my catatonic stupor in front of the computer by the sounds of gunfire...

heard first one - went to make sure wife was okay... then second and third

went out side to see if in town or out...

boom boom two houses down on other side of street!

came in house told wife top call 911 went to safe got out AR and 2 mags and Sig and two mags... leave those in the house with wife (I carry .357 24/7 where legal)

all in all between twenty and twenty five rounds fired

dispatch wanted to know who was shooting and address...

I got on cell and went out got description of two (of three) guy shooting long gun in backyard - dispatch hears several shots...

one guy hands other the gun and he sees me standing partially exposed by corner of my house and sweeps me with the muzzle...

I drop cell as I am stepping out of view, inform dispatch that I was just swept and that if they shoot at me I will return fire - he says - "now don't do that - it will only make things worse for you"

deputies arrive in record time (just about 17 minutes) (last time took 40)

deputy pulls in my drive (I inform him that I am licensed and armed - he doesn't seem to care) gets descriptions and waits for back-up
    they went over and checked out where the shooting was going on and then drove off after five minutes or so...

of course the shooters have seen me and have left in a hurry

spoke to neighbors, they are aware and know to call if they hear anything unusual coming from my house for the next few days...

anyone hiring? I need a new job so I can move - KY TN might work - (I would prefer TX)
    Last edited by MR D; March 5th, 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: more info

2. Remove Ads

The dispatch response of "don't do that" is expected at this point. It seems they're always telling folks to lay down and die while they talk them through how to properly die on the phone. As for the rest...glad you're ok. Stay safe and sleep with an eye open for a while.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

As a 911 dispatcher, I have heard several people say that if you can't do anything about it I will. Now I am a firm believer in self defense but I don't want to hear someone say this, mainly because everything you say is recorded and it can be used against you in a court of law. Why hand the prosecutor more ammo to use against you. Just call report the facts, make sure you and your family is secure, and wait for law enforcement.

the reason I told him I would return fire was because I had just told him the gun was now in my direction and I was retreating (sorry I wasn't totally clear)

I wanted it on the record btw

IANAL but I have spent a lot of time in law school

What was the deal ? I hear gunfire two doors down from my place at times. The old man (neighbor) down the road hates squirrels, stray cats / dogs. He lights them up on occassion. Seems I'll never get used to it as he fires up about once a month and I'm ducking and reaching for the hip. He would bust a gut if he could see my reaction.

I'm sure I get even though when I take the Mossberg 590 out back.

in town - against ordinances (at least two - and one of the guys was convicted of burglary a while back) (IIRC makes this possession under disability)

no safe place to shoot here in town

Administrator
    A few things are interesting here... First, were they shooting to be shooting, or were they up to some dasterdly deed?

If Deputies responded, good chance you live in one of the townships... generally its not illegal to shoot in a township unless you are doing so unsafely.

Let this be a lesson, if you want fast police response, dont live in an area patroled by the S.O. I'm not picking on them, they are great cops in this area... its just that they often have 30-40 sq. miles to work and there is only two of them. Often times the townships are highly populated with undesirables that keep them busy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    30-40 square miles? I wish. More often than not where I live we have 2 Deputys for 831 square miles.

A shots fired call wont even get a response unless it's aimed at someone.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Move to Ky, we got Tn beat on ccw hands down....

actually in town pop around 350

we have a part time officer - whenever the mayor wants a speed trap

this was actually much improved time over previous response about 5-6 years ago (45 minutes then...)

basically - last time we had gunfire in the village a neighbor two houses down (across street from this activity) mistakenly shot his wife

we have an ordinance against discharging in the village, a noise ordinance and the one guy shooting would be a convicted felon (under disability)

All quiet last night...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    actually in town pop around 350

we have a part time officer - whenever the mayor wants a speed trap

this was actually much improved time over previous response about 5-6 years ago (45 minutes then...)

basically - last time we had gunfire in the village a neighbor two houses down (across street from this activity) mistakenly shot his wife

we have an ordinance against discharging in the village, a noise ordinance and the one guy shooting would be a convicted felon (under disability)

All quiet last night...
    Heres the issue then... the S.O. is only going to enforce state law... they dont care about village ord.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, move to Ky. I shoot into my woodpile regularly without the neighbors so much as saying a single word about it. One exception to this--one neighbor comes over and brings his guns so he can shoot too.

As a NYer I must say you guys are NUTS, 30-45 minute response time ? Now I understand why you guys are armed to the teeth. I would be too !!.Response time here in Queens would be 2-3 minutes for a call for 2 gunman firing rounds.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont agree with the dispatch response first off
    I drop cell as I am stepping out of view, inform dispatch that I was just swept and that if they shoot at me I will return fire - he says - "now don't do that - it will only make things worse for you"
    Second off i dont quite understand why you are calling it in . Were the folk firing in an unsafe direction /manner ? Were they threatening you ? Do you just disapprove of firing off an approved range ? I ask because i have personally shot safely in the " backyard " in several small towns out here, and the only objections i have been able to substantiate is that firearms reports interfered with opera /jerry springer or folks just did not like it . In either event we moved further out of town . I dont think we ever gave anyone legitimate concern to believe they might need LE to confront us tho and belive me gramma goodcookie isnt bashfull lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

the one guy (adult) is a convicted felon - he also had a long criminal history before becoming adult... including burglarizing neighbors...

the deputy told me that it IS against the law to discharge the firearm in the village -

where they were shooting there is no backstop other than houses, cars and kids - we think they were shooting ice in the trees...

(they were out of school because of the bad weather - ice - that had left many of us w/out phone, power or cable)

I would love to shoot in my backyard - the land abutting mine is outside of the village

they could walk 250 yards north up the road and be out of town

RR when I visited my parents in CO this last summer we were no longer able to just shoot anywhere on the compass rose from their place - had to avoid two small areas like 2 degrees here and 5 over there... wide open land, beautiful views 360, and friendly people
    Last edited by MR D; March 6th, 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links