Forgive my ignorance...

Forgive my ignorance...

This is a discussion on Forgive my ignorance... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey folks I'm not new to shooting but I don't think you could call me a "gun nut," although after hanging out with my brother ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgive my ignorance...

Forgive my ignorance...

Hey folks

I'm not new to shooting but I don't think you could call me a "gun nut," although after hanging out with my brother in law I'm quickly becoming one.

I've been lurking a while and have found all of the members here to be extremely knowledgable.... so... this may sound like a very stupid question, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm looking at purchasing a S&W revolver, and would like one in 357mag. I don't exactly have big hands, and while the 686 looks beautiful, I think it may be too big for me to shoot comfortably. I know .357 magnum revolvers will shoot .38+p, but will a revolver made for .38+p handle the 357 safely? I was looking at the model 10. If not, do you have any suggestions? This firearm won't be for concealed carry, and I'm not really looking for a snubbie. I would prefer a 3 inch barrel at least.

Thanks guys and gals

A revolver made for 38+P will not shoot a 357...a 357 won't even fit into the revolver, or it shouldn't. a 357 can shoot both...a .38 can only shoot .38
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Lead Moderator
    No a 38 , even a +p will not safely shoot .357 mag ammo. Best way to find out what fits your hand is handle as many guns as possible. You can get different grips for smaller hands , ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Is this going to be for home defense, plinking, both? What is your price range? And in that price range, are you looking for new or used?

Welcome to the forum.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

thanks for the replies guys ...that was quick. I'll need to make a trip to somewhere with a bigger selection soon so I can know for sure how the 686 feels.

It will be mainly just for shooting at the range, as I keep a shotgun at my bedstand. No kids to worry about. However, if the situation calls for it, it will also be for home defense. I have about 800 bucks saved up, and it's burning a hole in my "for fun" account.

Lead Moderator
    If yuo do find the 686 to you liking, I can tell say they are excellent revolvers.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Keep in mind to that there is a wide variety of grips that will change the feel of the gun more than one would think. You cant go wrong with a 686, its among the best.

Another nice option to consider would be a Ruger SP101. It is a smaller frame, and might suit you better in stock form. Once again, you can change the entire feel/look with some new grips.

Good luck, let us know how your quest turns out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The 686 is definitely an excellent revolver. I would actually say just about every S&W revolver is an excellent revolver.

The .357/.38 ability is a wonderful option, but most of the people who choose to use it, practice with the .38 because it's cheaper and it's easier on the hands, but they carry .357 magnum for self defense. If you aren't looking at it as a carry gun, I would actually recommend saving the $300 or so extra that you would spend for the ability to switch back and forth. Chances are, you won't do a lot of range practice with a .357 because the ammo is so expensive, and to tell you the truth, if you have smaller hands, it's pretty punishing. I would probably recommend the model 64 or 10 like you were thinking about.
    Smith & Wesson
    and maybe use the rest of the money to maybe buy a .22 revolver. Shooting for pennies is great...

Who is John Galt?

Best thing to remember is the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Go with the 686! Several of my friends with smaller hands shoot this revolver very well. They all put Hogue or Pachmayr wrap around grips (in place of the wood grips that come with the pistol) MidwayUSA - Pachmayr Gripper Decelerator Grips with Finger Grooves S&W K, L-Frame Square Butt Rubber Black. Those grips cut down a lot of the girth, thereby making it easier for them to handle. The 686 will also give you more options (.357 OR .38, +P or not).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Under no circumstance should you attempt to fire a 357 cartridge from a 38. In the event you might force a cartridge into the 38 it is not built to handle the pressures developed by the 357 Mag.

Going strictly by the specifications you have listed (.38/.357 with 3" barrel) I believe there are only 3 models of Smith’s that are still in current production. (I may be mistaken)

I think the 686 Plus is the way to go IF you can handle it. If it is just too darn big or heavy for your hands, the Model 60 is the definite answer. It is a sweet gun as well……not as sweet….but sweet. It will fit your hand like a glove.

Click on the Model # for links:

Model 60 - 5 shot The model 60 in 3” comes in several different variations depending on the type of sights such as: Night Sights, Hi-Viz, Red Ramp, Black Blade, etc. plus the Lady Smith Model.

Model 686 Plus - 7 shot

Model 586 L-Comp - 7 shot The 586 comes from the S&W Performance Center and will be very expensive. I believe it is the same size frame as the Model 686.

I hope this helps and that the info is current.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Keep in mind to that there is a wide variety of grips that will change the feel of the gun more than one would think. You cant go wrong with a 686, its among the best.

I'll second that. I started out with Hogue Bantam grips, then went to Eagle grips but then I bought the Service Grips from Smith and Wesson and they fit my hand best of all on my 2-1/2" 686. The right grips make a world of difference.

thanks so much for the help folks, I'll keep it all in mind on my next trip to the larger gun store.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Another nice option to consider would be a Ruger SP101. It is a smaller frame, and might suit you better in stock form. Once again, you can change the entire feel/look with some new grips.

Good luck, let us know how your quest turns out.
    +1 on the Ruger, I have small hands and the SP101 with Hogue grips and it works for me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links