Buyer beware! In KC area.

This is a discussion on Buyer beware! In KC area. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you live in the KC MO area beware of Show-Me-Shooters in Claycomo. showmeshooters.com Friday I stopped by and picked up a 22/45 Ruger pistol ...

Thread: Buyer beware! In KC area.

V8 [OP]

If you live in the KC MO area beware of Show-Me-Shooters in Claycomo. showmeshooters.com

Friday I stopped by and picked up a 22/45 Ruger pistol for some plinking and Saturday I made a trip to the range. Out of 150 rounds I had lots of FTF and by lots I mean at least 50. I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. The hammer would not drop and no boom. I was rather disappointed and stopped by the shop on Sunday thinking that I would get some kind of customer service. Well, the guy working there was very rude and apparently cares nothing for customer service. He took the gun to their range fired a few rounds though it said that there was nothing wrong with it. Like 10 proper discharges prove anything! He had a terrible attitude from the very beginning and made it very clear to me that I was putting him out. I actually got into a bit of an argument with him and then he loaded some more ammo in the mag then said a few choice words while walking back to the range.He fired 10 more times and again told me that there was nothing wrong and that If I wanted to send it in I should do it myself because they would charge me $45.00 to do so.

So here I am, $275.00 dollars later with faulty gun thats less than 3 days old that I have to send in myself. Just thought anyone in the KC MO area would like a heads up.

I'm not sure how many firearms you have owned etc.I'm no real familiar with the ruger but you are saying hammer wouldn't drop no kaboom,i'm wondeing if you had enough lubrication on the slide,also if the bolt is not fully closed the bolt will not allow the firing pin to be struck ,I would check and make sure either the ammunition isn't a problem as i've had remington 22 that would not feed in my match 10/22 fer crap.before you go to the extent to send the gun back make sure bolt is fully closing after each shot ,if there are no firing pin hits on the 22 case that's a good indiication also

Many states have lemon laws and defective product laws. The terms to look for are things like fitness for intended purpose and suitable for merchantability. That means that a product has to basically do what it's described as doing, or what it's obviously supposed to do.

Look up your state laws once you've confirmed that it's the gun and not something about how you're treating it.

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    If you live in the KC MO area beware of Show-Me-Shooters in Claycomo. showmeshooters.com

Friday I stopped by and picked up a 22/45 Ruger pistol for some plinking and Saturday I made a trip to the range. Out of 150 rounds I had lots of FTF and by lots I mean at least 50. I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. The hammer would not drop and no boom. I was rather disappointed and stopped by the shop on Sunday thinking that I would get some kind of customer service. Well, the guy working there was very rude and apparently cares nothing for customer service. He took the gun to their range fired a few rounds though it said that there was nothing wrong with it. Like 10 proper discharges prove anything! He had a terrible attitude from the very beginning and made it very clear to me that I was putting him out. I actually got into a bit of an argument with him and then he loaded some more ammo in the mag then said a few choice words while walking back to the range.He fired 10 more times and again told me that there was nothing wrong and that If I wanted to send it in I should do it myself because they would charge me $45.00 to do so.

So here I am, $275.00 dollars later with faulty gun thats less than 3 days old that I have to send in myself. Just thought anyone in the KC MO area would like a heads up.
    Not being a smart aleck, but at 50 FTF out of 150, you're running a 30% failure rate...and he got 2 mags to fire without a single failure? If you aren't comfortable stripping your 22/45 for a detail cleaning, certainly call Ruger. If they balk at sending you a pre-paid shipping label, push the issue.

RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms has a very helpful MkII, 22/45, etc board, if you want to look at it yourself.

Administrator
    They are fairly picky with ammo too. (as all .22's are) Mine hates the cheapo milk carton stuff sold at the bigger stores, it does exactly what you described.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They are fairly picky with ammo too. (as all .22's are) Mine hates the cheapo milk carton stuff sold at the bigger stores, it does exactly what you described.

+1

My Gov't Model MkII will FTF with the slide locked back with the cheap milk carton stuff after about 2 mags worth.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

V8 [OP]
    Well I too understand the importance of quality ammo and realize that .22's can be picky with ammo. I tried CCI, Federal and Winchester Super X. Yes took 3 types of ammo with me I've been down that road several times.
    I do no for sure the bolt was returning fully. When I said that the hammer would not drop I meant that I would pull the trigger and no click no nothing. I could feel the trigger bottom out at the maximum rearward travel. A few times I just held the trigger down and experienced a delay hammer release and fire.
    I just talked to Ruger today and they want me to check the sear spring. I guess when I get time I'll follow their directions.
    I did talk to a friend of mine who has own a few of these same pistols and he too experienced some issues as well. In a funny way I'm glad to know that it's not just me!

Okay, that makes sense. I believe the Volquartsen MkII sear will work with the 22/45- its a very worthwhile investment. One of my two factory Ruge sears was oversized, and was being overcome by the hammerspring force, rather than actually being released by the trigger.

What SIXTO said, my MII is picky too, with the right ammo it is a fun shooter but with the wrong stuff, it's bang, bang, click, ^$$$# Bang, bang, Click, *&^%!
    Mine was real tight when it first came out of the box, putting a few hundred through it, stripping it down and giving it a good cleaning and lube has helped a heap.
    On a side note the gun store guy was a bit short with you so give the owner a call and see what happens, but clean and lube the MIII, buy some good ammo and see what happens, and save the crappy stuff for a wheel gun or riffle.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Ruger has a pretty good customer service IMHO. I had to send my p95 back to the factory to have the trigger bar replaced. If you need to send it back, ask them to send you a prepaid UPS tag and just box it and send it out...no cost to you.

I shoot at that range every saturday and purchased a glock from them never had any problems with anyone there. The big guy there is short and to the point but that is just the way he is ( like my father in law), but from what I've read if you buy a gun and it doesn't function properly it has to go back to the vendor not the dealer.
    Good luck with your ruger.

Sponsored Links