I have $550, and I need a home defense gun - Page 2

I have $550, and I need a home defense gun

This is a discussion on I have $550, and I need a home defense gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another vote for the shotgun. I would recommend the Remington 870P (Police) with 20 inch barrel and 7 round magazine. The sights are up to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have $550, and I need a home defense gun

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Another vote for the shotgun. I would recommend the Remington 870P (Police) with 20 inch barrel and 7 round magazine. The sights are up to you but I like the rifle sights. They are easier to use when shooting slugs. The 870P should be going for around $500. Three years ago they were selling for $448.

I sold one of my two rifles just so I could get a shotgun. I figure that I'll always be able to get some kind of 12ga. ammo.

I must be nuts, but I think I'd go for a ruger 10-22, high cap mags, and about 1 billion .22LR rounds for that dollar amount. Add a good bunch of handgun ammo and you have a working stokpile. For $550 you can get started with the other guns, but your ammo stockpile will be obviously limited (Lets face it, you won't have any after a couple trips to the reange with the new toy. Can't blame you there:)). This is the path I've chosen, keeping in mind that a .308 and .223 are coming in the future. It just allows me to have some level of readiness NOW. You can take even deer or Man or bunny or squirrel with the lowly .22 LR, and one thing I'm coming to love is that you can EMPTY the mag ON TARGET as fast as you can squeeze the trigger with both pistol and rifle. 10 round mag? Thats actually quite a devastating amount of damage with mini-mags. 30 or 100 round mags? You could put a herd of deer down.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I have many firearms,several handgns in varying calibres,I have 3 AR-15's and 1AR-10 in .308,But if i need 1 gun fer home defense etc. it's gonn be a shotgun that will need to shoot slugs accurate enough to take a deer at 100 yds and shoot buckshot or birdshot depending on task at hand.I would lean towards ither mossberg 500 or remington 870,plenty of after market parts and accessories,and you can hit what you're aiming at with minimal practice

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I like the shotgun idea too. My pick would be to get a Benelli Nova pump shotgun. IMO it is a far better shotgun than the Remington 870. You should be able to pick one up for slightly over $300 NIB. It shoots 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" magnum shells, came with 3 chokes & synthetic stock (think durable).

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    870 Remington with an extension tube. Depending on which buckshot you load up with 8-27 pellets down range with every pull of the trigger.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

maverick 88

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    +1 on the shot gun.
    Have you considered a Mossberg Maverick? Great weapon for the price. Darn near every thing made for a 500 is compatible with the Maverick. And at an MSRP of about $200 you will have plenty of money left over for other “toys” or for stock piling ammo.
    good shotgun for the money. have one myself.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I've seen the 870 with the 7-round extended tube for under $300. A must have for every gun collection...

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I have $550 and I need a SHTF/home defense gun. ...I'm thinking AK-47 or 12ga.
    Why limit yourself?
    For that price, you could have an SKS and a Mossberg 500. The SKS isn't as "TactiKool" as an AK, but it fires the same round - though more accurately; it's just as tough, and is not a target (yet) as an "Assault Weapon." The Mossberg is less expensive than most, but just as tough (lots of PD's, and the military, use them) and easier for some people to use (especially lefties) because of the top-mounted safety.
    If you're interested in a high-powered rifle, the M-44 (Russian surplus 7.62X54, I think) is equivilent to a 30-06, and can be bought for around $70.oo in "good-or-better" condition. Lots of power, accurate at long range, and cheap. Surplus ammo is cheap in bulk, too. Check out AIM Surplus, Ammoman, J&G, CheaperThanDirt, and some others I can't recall immediately.
    Now on to handguns

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If you live in an urban environment, I would worry about over penetration with the AK and its ammo. A round might just go through the bad guy, through 2 walls and hit the neighbor's house.

Shotguns are user friendly and blast does not have such serious penetration issues.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I would also vote for the Shotgun. I've had the same 870 for close to 15 years now, its been threw more rounds than anyone could ever count. I've duck/deer/goose/pheasnt hunted, clay shot, target shot with it and it has been the most rugged and reliable firearm I will probally ever own. They are perfect weapon for SD and for SHTF.

I think I would be on the shotgun wagon too. Maybe a Mossberg with ghost rings, and lots lots of different ammo. But thats only if it's a one gun scenario.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Unless you need to defend your home from invading Cubans and Soviets, a la Red Dawn, AK is out. Shotgun, definitely...12 or 20 gauge. Go to a gun show and pick up a couple used, on that budget.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Why limit yourself?
    For that price, you could have an SKS and a Mossberg 500. The SKS isn't as "TactiKool" as an AK, but it fires the same round - though more accurately; it's just as tough, and is not a target (yet) as an "Assault Weapon." The Mossberg is less expensive than most, but just as tough (lots of PD's, and the military, use them) and easier for some people to use (especially lefties) because of the top-mounted safety.
    If you're interested in a high-powered rifle, the M-44 (Russian surplus 7.62X54, I think) is equivilent to a 30-06, and can be bought for around $70.oo in "good-or-better" condition. Lots of power, accurate at long range, and cheap. Surplus ammo is cheap in bulk, too. Check out AIM Surplus, Ammoman, J&G, CheaperThanDirt, and some others I can't recall immediately.
    Now on to handguns

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    I'm glad I read all responses first. This is exactly what I was thinking. I would buy a $300 shotgun and a $150-$200 SKS.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Use the DPX ammo for home defense and you won't have over penetration issues.

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/prod...5cecd7d25ae68e

Get the AK while you can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links