I have $550, and I need a home defense gun - Page 4

I have $550, and I need a home defense gun

This is a discussion on I have $550, and I need a home defense gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I like rifles over shotguns so i'd go for the ak-47....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I have $550, and I need a home defense gun

I like rifles over shotguns so i'd go for the ak-47.

Mossberg 500. Will leave you lots left over for extras like a knox stock and ammo. Was good enough for Nam. Still being used in the sand box.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

buy a used shotgun for 150-200 a box of shells
    and spend the rest on beer
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    buy a used shotgun for 150-200 a box of shells
    and spend the rest on beer
    This is truly the way to go!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I have $550 and I need a SHTF/home defense gun.

I'm thinking AK-47 or 12ga. I hear 12ga shotguns are the most versitile weapons on the planet.
    On the contrary, I think of shotguns are very much a niche weapon. Sure, they're versatile -- at firing various projectiles at a short range. Beyond 100 yds, though, they have no real application.

A carbine can do everything a SG can, but not vice verse.

If cost is an issue -- which it definitely is if you're stockpiling ammo -- then the AK is the only serious candidate. For $550, you can get a decent used AK plus a case of ammo. For a few more bucks, you can get 6 magazines and a sling. Then get some training.

As money becomes available, just keeping buying cases of Wolf 7.62x39.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Back to the one gun thing though... how many outdoor stores sell shotgun ammunition? How many sell 7.62 x 39mm? Where I live, about ten times as many sell shotgun ammunition. Food for thought.
    True. The flip side is that you can get cases of 7.62x39 for under $200 online. Stock up enough this way, and it doesn't really matter what the local store has a few boxes of.

Find a way to cut back your spending by $20 a week, and in a year that's 5 cases of ammo, effectively a decade's supply.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    True. The flip side is that you can get cases of 7.62x39 for under $200 online. Stock up enough this way, and it doesn't really matter what the local store has a few boxes of.

Find a way to cut back your spending by $20 a week, and in a year that's 5 cases of ammo, effectively a decade's supply.
    While I wholeheartedly agree that you could stockpile either set of ammunition, my poorly expressed point was more along the lines of, what is more likely available for you to buy after a new AWB or the SHTF?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I love my Glock 17 for home defense. Donít even keep a shotgun loaded anymore.

But, if the chips where down, and I could only have one weapon, it would get the Browning A-5 12 gauge magnum shotgun out of the safe. Fast, and very reliable, low recoil, spring recoil operated simi auto, and it will fire any 12-gauge ammo.

Longer 24 or 26 inch barrel for hunting small/large game and a 18 Ĺ deer slayer barrel for HD.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    While I wholeheartedly agree that you could stockpile either set of ammunition, my poorly expressed point was more along the lines of, what is more likely available for you to buy after a new AWB or the SHTF?
    Agreed, but my point was: it's a very bad strategy to depend on what you can get after an AWB, and especially post-SHTF. Far safer to be self sufficient NOW, while you can. There's a reason 12ga ammo can be found in every gun store -- there a millions of shotguns out there. After TSHTF, all those millions of people are also going to be scrounging up those same 13 boxes of shells at all those same shops. IOW: popular caliber = more of it at the gun store, BUT more people looking for it, too.

IMO, hoping to score ammo of a popular caliber post-SHTF is a losing bet.

Of course, if you have just a few extra dollars, just get both guns.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    IMO, hoping to score ammo of a popular caliber post-SHTF is a losing bet.
    I agree. You shouldn't count on anything, and stockpiling is the most important in regards to (insert apocalyptic scenario here). So, I would venture to say, from ammunition availability, if you assume the worst (only your stockpile is available), then it doesn't matter at all which one you get.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Shotgun all the way!!! This is home defense right not king of the hill against a bunch of zombies. No need for all these long reaching rifles. K.I.S.S. Get a shotgun go to your local trap and skeet shooting club and practice some and learn to be an affective marksman with a shotgun at 50yards. If you need something that can reach more then that then maybe you should stop setting up post and defending the house 3 blocks over. Open choke with #8 will fill a doorway from across the room and slugs are going to go through walls and then some. As for ammo go to Walmart they should still be selling remington #8 for $20 for 4 boxes.

shotgun a good used one will get the job done. 12ga, you can get ammo anywhere.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links