I have $550, and I need a home defense gun

This is a discussion on I have $550, and I need a home defense gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have $550 and I need a SHTF/home defense gun. I'm thinking AK-47 or 12ga. I hear 12ga shotguns are the most versitile weapons on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have $550, and I need a home defense gun

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

I have $550 and I need a SHTF/home defense gun.

I'm thinking AK-47 or 12ga. I hear 12ga shotguns are the most versitile weapons on the planet. AK-47's can be burried for 50 years, dug up and will probally still fire. What do you reccomend? This is a weapon that I'm going to stockpile ammo for and use once the economy collapses etc etc.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Yee-Haw!

Threads like these are always exciting on D.C.

If I have only one gun and it must be all things to me, make it a shotgun. Birdshot for hunting, buckshot for bigger hunting and/or short range self defense, and slugs for about anything you absolutely, positively, must mess-up severely on the first shot.

That said, I assume you have other weapons in your arsenal at this time? That maybe a factor.

Back to the one gun thing though... how many outdoor stores sell shotgun ammunition? How many sell 7.62 x 39mm? Where I live, about ten times as many sell shotgun ammunition. Food for thought.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Plus one on the shotgun. Its probably the most versitile weapon available - everything from hunting to home defense. Like Matiki said, shotgun shells are sold everywhere from gun stores to your local Wal-Mart and beyond.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I have to agree. One gun for everything (and one only...) would be a 12 gauge shotgun and probably a pump with a 20 to 22 inch barrel.
    Oh....BTW.... open cylinder (who needs chokes) !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I'm with matiki. A remington 870 can be had for $300 and under, you can use the rest to tacticool it out. I kept the original stocks but got an 18" cylinder bore barrel to replace the 26" choke barrel. You can get tube extensions and stocks pretty inexpensively.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

AMH
    +1 on the shot gun.
    Have you considered a Mossberg Maverick? Great weapon for the price. Darn near every thing made for a 500 is compatible with the Maverick. And at an MSRP of about $200 you will have plenty of money left over for other “toys” or for stock piling ammo.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Buy an 870 with a 26"modified choke bbl for small game/bird hunting and add a 20" improved cylinder rifle-sight barrel for buckshot and deadly aim with slugs. Quick to interchange
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Buy an 870 with lots of ammo, a Surefire light with lots of batteries, and a decent fixed blade.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I dont hunt, but im also in the Shotgun camp. grab a 870 or Mossberg and stock up on ammo or buy another pistol with the rest.

Shotgun!
    (Whattaya expect from a graying old ex-lawman?)
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

i'd look at a used remington 870/mossberg 500. you can get one in good shape, normally under $300. that leaves lots of cash left over for ammo.

If you haven't got the picture buy now!!
    12ga 870 pump is a must own!!!!
    If you do not own one buy now, I hope you can't say the same thing next week.
    1oz slug deadly at a 100yds+ and cheap #7 will keep you full!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Like Matiki said, shotgun shells are sold everywhere from gun stores to your local Wal-Mart and beyond.
    Hell, around here, during hunting season, they're even sold in CONVENIENCE STORES.

Buy the AK.

It is simple, rugged, ultra reliable, light recoiling, accurate out to 200 yards, and with Corbon's new DPX ammo in 7.62x39mm absolutely devastating for CQB.

The AK will do just about anything the shotgun will do with the exception of bird hunting, but if you are looking for a home defense weapon who cares about hunting.

Besides, the 7.62x39 is the rough equal of the .30-30 and more than able to take most game, so you have hunting covered too.

Also, unless you buy the AK soon, you may loose your chance to ever get one.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If you've got acres and need to shoot long distances and/or don't mind potential shoot-through, go AK-47. If you like your neighbors a little more than that, go 12 ga.

Seriously, you probably can't go wrong, and it should depend more on how you figure on needing to use it. Me, I'd probably go shotgun for a single home defense gun (after the SIG P220, of course!).
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links