Cowboy single action...love them

This is a discussion on Cowboy single action...love them within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own 3 single action "cowboy action" guns and just love shooting them. Ruger Single Six 22LR/22Mag 5 1/2" bbl Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag 4 ...

Thread: Cowboy single action...love them

Cowboy single action...love them

I own 3 single action "cowboy action" guns and just love shooting them.
    Ruger Single Six 22LR/22Mag 5 1/2" bbl
    Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag 4 3/4" bbl
    Ruger Vaquero 45 Long Colt 6 1/2"
    I know they are not what is probably recommended for carry or self defense, but they are fun to shoot, have minimal recoil due to their size and weight, and very safe and user freindly with the Ruger transfer bar system.
    I do have other concealable handguns (KelTec 32, SW 38sp) but living on a ranch in real rural western state, my SA revolvers are invariably in my pickup, and I feel safe.
    These guns will pop a hole in any attacking bad guy just the same as the cool semis.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm looking to get a single six next as I don't have any single action only revolvers. It should be fun.

How do you like the Vaquero? I love revolvers but have yet to get an SA only. They sure are good lookin firearms.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

I love the Vaquero....something about the western old style plow handle style grip. I had a friend tha did Cowboy action shooting, and had a Vaquero, and that got me hooked. The 45 long Colt shells are huge! Its a hoot to shoot, and the recoil isn't that bad. Also the 45 Long Colt isn't going to be any good for an intruder's health!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I had a Ruger Blackhawk once, most versatile firearm I've ever owned, and I have often lamented the day I stupidly sold it.

I came with two cylinders..I could shoot .357 magnum/.38 special and 9mm out of it.

Damn, damn, damn.....

I also carried a 5-inch Vaquero .357 for a while. Sweet, sweet gun. Accurate, beautifully balanced, etc.

Love them SA's....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Know how you feel about SAs. Have autos, DA revolvers--big and small but I'll never get rid of my 4 SAs- all Rugers. 45Colt/45ACP Blackhawk 5 1/2", New Vaquero 45Colt 4 5/8", 35 year old Super Single Six 22LR/22mag 5 1/2", and New model Bearcat. Every couple months I have SA only day at the range. Slow to load but fun to shoot!

Vaquero . . .really nice.

Thought I'd chime in here.

I have two new model vaqueros in 45lc- stainless. Really great six-guns. If your gonna shoot 45lc, it def. pays to relaod. A box of store bought stuff 50rnds goes for like $27.00, I can reload a box if 50rnds for about $6.50. I would add that I have a Rossi/Puma '92 lever action that shoots the 45lc round too. It's really nice to have pistols and rifles that shoot the same exact loads . . .makes things really simple.

Tbird

Links