Defensive Carry banner

C&R & customizing

889 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dvickery 
#1 ·
I have a question regarding the C&R 03 FFL. I will be getting mine in the mail some day (I hope) and was thinking about purchasing an SKS with it. I would like to put an after market stock on it along with a 30 round mag but I was wondering about the legalities of doing that with a C&R FFL purchased firearm.

I know all the regular state and federal laws - what I'm specifically looking for
are the legalities concerning customizing firearms purchased using a C&R? I've looked at the rules and regs on the ATF site but they aren't very clear on this particular subject. I've asked this question on diff. forums but all I get is "I think" or "I would say" but nobody seems to know for sure.

Thanks in advance,

dvick

#2 ·
You can customize a C&R gun but there are a few things to take note of...1) it will loose it's C&R status once it is modified in that way. This means that you will not be able to sell it to a C&R license holder if you wish to do so it must go through an 01 FFL. 2) With the SKS you will have to worry about 922(r) and the US parts count since you will be modifying the gun into a configuration that would be non-importable in its new configuration. Since 922(r) will apply then you will not be able to have more than 10 imported (named) parts on the gun which means that you will have to add more than just the stock and magazine to be legal at the federal level. 3) why do that to an SKS?!? :confused: SKSs are generally very reliable and good shooters. When you start adding 30 round duckbill magazines they have reliability issues out the wazoo. For the money invested in an SKS and parts you would be better off (in my humble opinion) to buy an inexpensive AK which will be far more reliable than a modified SKS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.