Form of ID needed to buy handgun in Florida.

This is a discussion on Form of ID needed to buy handgun in Florida. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just moved back to FL from NJ. I was in NJ for only about a year. Can I show my passport as ID or ...

Thread: Form of ID needed to buy handgun in Florida.

Form of ID needed to buy handgun in Florida.

I just moved back to FL from NJ. I was in NJ for only about a year. Can I show my passport as ID or do they need proof of FL residency via FL drivers license? I have bills, utilities, etc with my name on it from my FL address but my drivers license is still NJ.

2. Remove Ads

I've got my FL CCW, so that's all I need to purchase, but I think...THINK...that all you need to do is get your FL DL ASAP, and I don't think you need to prove FL residency. I think they might just ask you to give your address verbally.

Don't quote me on that. May be a good idea to call the local DMV office and ask what they require from you to get your FL DL.

Once you get that, I don't think you need anything else to purchase a handgun, other than to pass NICS, fork over your $$$, and wait...though I think I have that order goofed up a bit.

-JT

Administrator
    For a handgun purchase, you must be a resident of that state. Best of course is a Fl DL. You need to get it anyway, you might as well bite the bullet and take care of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    For a handgun purchase, you must be a resident of that state. Best of course is a Fl DL. You need to get it anyway, you might as well bite the bullet and take care of it.
    Bite the bullet? It's only $10-15 dollars for the DL...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Bite the bullet? It's only $10-15 dollars for the DL...
    I'm not talking about the money, taking the time out to go to the BMV and dealing with them is far more painful than giving up a few dollars.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The ATF Form 4473 Section B (the part that the seller completes)
    20a Identification (e.g., driver's license or other valid government-issued photo identification.) (See Instruction to Transferor 1.)
    1. Know Your Customer: Before a licensee may sell or deliver a firearm to a nonlicensee, the licensee must establish the identity, place of residence, and age of the buyer. The buyer must provide a valid government issued photo identification to the seller that contains the buyer's name, residence address, and date of birth. The licensee must record the type, identification number, and expiration date (if any) of the identification in question 20a. A driver's license or an identification card issued by a State in place of a license is acceptable.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ya I intend to get the FLDL but the DMV is one of the worst places on Earth. I'll just suck it up. Thanks for the responses.

It's my lucky day, the DMV was doing a customer satisfaction survey and the employees were extra helpful and nice to me. In and out with a FLDL in less than 20 mins. Time to shop now! I know I want an XDsc in 9mm, anyone know any good deals in Central FL ?

Is there a gun show happening nearby? Might be a good place to start looking. Depending on your area. Some prices someone quoted elsewhere for a show in West Palm Beach were insanely high.

-JT

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomHDM View Post
    Ya I intend to get the FLDL but the DMV is one of the worst places on Earth. I'll just suck it up. Thanks for the responses.
    Depending where you live, you can make an appointment and save yourself the trouble of lines. Also, if you are willing, you can just trade your old DL for a Florida DL. It takes the time to stand up and have the picture taken.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Depending where you live, you can make an appointment and save yourself the trouble of lines. Also, if you are willing, you can just trade your old DL for a Florida DL. It takes the time to stand up and have the picture taken.
    +1 on making an appointment. In and out. Fl law requires you to get a Fl drivers lic within IIRC 30 days after you move here. Don't get stopped. Not only that but just a good idea to get your Fl Dl. Welcome back.

Senior Moderator
    I have to say, my experiences with the Florida DMV have been great.

Made an appointment on line for the DL when we moved down here - in and out in 15 minutes. Completely painless.

When we moved to the house, went on-line and submitted the change of address. New licenses in the mail in a few days, hassle free.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hey just hit the DMV early and you will beat all the illegals there.......at least that is the way it is in Texas...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I have to say, my experiences with the Florida DMV have been great.

Made an appointment on line for the DL when we moved down here - in and out in 15 minutes. Completely painless.

When we moved to the house, went on-line and submitted the change of address. New licenses in the mail in a few days, hassle free.

Matt

I should remembered the on line part!

Florida Division of Driver Licenses
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links