For those with children

This is a discussion on For those with children within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; for those who have children please take note that little hands tend to pick up anything they see. I read so much about children either ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with children

For those with children

for those who have children please take note that little hands tend to pick up anything they see. I read so much about children either getting hurt or killed because some idiot left their gun out. We have a hard time defending our rights to keep and bear arms and then some idiot go's and leaves his gun somewhere so a child can get it. then they either hurt or kill their selves with it. I say this because most people do not know what its like to lose a child. I do. I lost a son when he was only 7 days old. Not to a firearm accident, but still losing him really hurt. I had also had a friend when I was about 9 years old was at a friends house. His dad left his shotgun out. The two boys started playing with it and it went off killing one of them. Tragic. too young for this kind of thing. help us to defend our right to keep and bear arms, do not feed the anties with fuel for their campaign to take our rights from us.

And best yet, save a innocent life.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Nothing can be added here........just an amen.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I can't even imagine.......

Well said.

Well said. A gun lock or safe is the cheapest, best protection there is!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    That's one of the reasons why I just bought a gunsafe after all of these years with guns in the house. I've always had some long guns in the corners of my studies. No ammo around but still...so I went ahead and about the safe this year instead of another gun.

I've also been bad about leaving ammo out and about. I've been thinking a lot about this too and I'm going to keep it all more secure.

The next thing I'm going to do is purchase a "gun vault" to hold a pistol; it'll be next to my bed for quick access in the night.

I appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    ...I just bought a gunsafe after all of these years with guns in the house.
    Good for you! Smart move.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    Even the cheap safes will stop kids from gun access.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I got my first gun(.410) at 8, knew better than to "play" with it.

The next thing I'm going to do is purchase a "gun vault" to hold a pistol; it'll be next to my bed for quick access in the night
    One of the best investments I ever made. My kids can never access the gun and I can have a loaded pistol in my hannd in about 2 or 3 seconds.
    CW

Ron
    In similar threads in the past, many members have stated that they have trained their kids about gun safety, taught them not to play with guns, trust them to be careful, etc and therefore don't worry about leaving a loaded gun where their kids might find it. I have always questioned that view because experience suggests that even the best of kids can, at times, do something stupid, particularly with friends in the house. I think that not either having the gun on you or locked away in a gun safe, is a potential tragedy waiting to happen. Just my personal opinion, which I realize is not shared by all.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Moderator
    All of our guns are in a safe if they are not on me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Personally I think training the kids is the first safety device. Likewise keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is the first safety device for gun handling - that does not mean we should not follow the rest of them.

My children know how to handle firearms and that they are not toys. They also know that when not in use they should be safely stored (pardon the pun).

I trust my children (with the exception of the toddler) 100% when it comes to gun handling. I do not extend that trust to guests of the house (both invited and uninvited).

HKR
    My child knows what a gun is and what it will do. She knows that she is never to touch them and to get an adult if she sees one. I KNOW that she is a kid, thinks like a kid and acts like a kid. So I take great strides to make sure that she never has the opportunity to "learn this lesson the hard way". This extends not only to our home but also to those of friends and family. I don't care if it makes them mad, if they cannot make their home safe for my child, she doesn't go there.

I was raised around firearms since I was about 3. My step dad tought my sister and I everything we needed to know. But he still never left one around loaded or unloaded and in the open. His theory is "Kids will be kids". Thats the way I think. No matter how well we teach children they are still that, children. And children will be children.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I live alone and have firearms and ammo all over,I have a gun safe and if my g/daughter ever visits they all disappear into the safe.I don't think anybody in here can ever 100% guarantee that their child might invite a friend in the house while your gone,some states havelaws on the books that if you leave a firearm where a child has access to it and somebody is injured or killed you are responsible,regardless of how well trained your kids are will not matter in court.I really need to lock all my guns up when i'm not here in case somebody breaks in.I would hate to get shot with my own gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links