PT1911 owners

This is a discussion on PT1911 owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there have been quite a few threads concerning the Taurus' answer to the 1911 and I searched those. I do however have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT1911 owners

PT1911 owners

I know there have been quite a few threads concerning the Taurus' answer to the 1911 and I searched those. I do however have a few questions for the PT1911 owners or former owners. I read an extensive article on the pistol in the Harris publication 'The complete book of handguns' 2008 edition by Massad Ayoob pages 4-9. I'm impressed with this pistol so much so that I do believe it's moved into the number one spot for acquisition in the near future for me. I handled two of these pistols today at a local shop. The stainless model brand new was $579, and the blued model was $499. Both brand new even though I went looking for new or used. These two pistols had two dot sites--one dot on the front, and one dot rear center of notch. Fellow had an ad in yesterdays newspaper selling one for $500 LNIB, but I've called the number several times with nothing but voicemail and no replies to even that. What I'd like to know from those owners about the PT1911 is as follows--and thanks for taking the time to reply! (note--I am interested in the full size and mainly the blued version with no rail)

1. which model do you have? Stainless or blued.
    2. I've heard other magazine brands don't work in this pistol--have you tried using any other than OEM mags?
    3. For those with the blued model, do you feel you want to somehow remove the pistol's designated highlights on the slide? Or do you feel the billboard lettering is okay to leave as is?
    4. Is this your first 1911 model pistol or have you had/do you have others?
    5. For those with/previous 1911 folks---how well does the Taurus model compare?
    6. Would you recommend this pistol to all your shooting friends?

Thanks again--the rest I can find out on the internet as far as availability/price on extra magazines and best price and such.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I just bought a used PT 1911. It is in excellant condition. This is my first 1911. But as a firearms trainer at PD's and my own range I have shot several 1911's. I haven't got to shoot it yet but will this Friday or Saturday. I will give you an update than. My research shows that it will except ever thing a standard 1911 will. I have order 5 mags from one of the members here and he beliefs they will fit but probably won't get them till late next week. I bought the weapon from airbornrangerboogie.
    Taurus PT 1911
    Have you seen this link?
    Last edited by Reborn; March 13th, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added link
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have the Blued

2. I've heard other magazine brands don't work in this pistol--have you tried using any other than OEM mags?
    I have not tried any other mags in this one, but I have not heard of any difficulties. In fact the shop owner recommended a couple of brands when I bought the pistol... just don't remember what they are.

3. For those with the blued model, do you feel you want to somehow remove the pistol's designated highlights on the slide? Or do you feel the billboard lettering is okay to leave as is?
    I wasn't sure I liked it at first... not sure I like it even now, but it doesn't change how the gun feels or shoots.

This was my first foray into shooting 1911s. I have enjoyed it so much, I can see other's in my future.

N/A

I would and I have. I personally do not have any great attachment to this particular gun, and I plan on, most likely, trading it in someday on another 1911(I'm leaning towards Kimber), but choosing just the right one is taking time. So, until then, the Taurus fills the need, and it is the gun that has made me a true fan of the 1911 platform.

Last edited by foreveryoung001; March 13th, 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added Pic
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member
    To answer your questions:
    1. I have the 5" blued model
    2.Not sure about the functioning of after market mags. I purchased a Chip McCormack Shooting Star, but have not had a chance to try it out yet.
    3. The Taurus logo does not bother me. I figure it will only be seen when I am at the range with the gun. Although I do intend to use it as a carry gun on occassion it will not be my primary carry gun. When carried it will be concealed so no one will see it.
    4/5. It is not my first 1911. I owned a Auto Ordinance 1911 many years ago. Too long ago for my "old" brain to remember too many details!! LOL
    6. I would recommend it. Although I have not had the opportunity to put too many rounds down range with it. Fired about 100 rounds through it. Hated the Heine Straight 8 sights that come on it. My slide has been sent off to have a set of PT night sights installed. Anxious to get it back so I can shoot it some more.

Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I absolutely LOVE this gun! BTW - I'll PM you with an email address to a shop in Georgia. Great price and super service ($10 fixed shipping!). To answer your questions:

1. I have the blued version with night sights.
    2. The only problems I have are with mil-spec mags. Chip, Wilson and Novak all function flawlessly.
    3. I don't mind the billboard as I don't see it. I'm too busy acquiring a good sight picture. If the BG can see it while ignoring the howitzer-sized hole at the business end of the pistol, more power to him!
    4. I carried a Colt Combat Commander (satin nickel) in the mid-1980's with the Sheriff's Office. I own a Rock Island standard, plain jane mil-spec. I am still fond of those two .45's. The PT1911 is my 3rd 1911.
    5. I've also shot the S&W Scandia and the Kimber extensively and the PT1911 is by far the best shooting/handling 1911 I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.
    6. I would highly recommend this pistol to all of my friends.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar

Blued

I've only tried a Wilson Combat magazine, and found that it works fine - but you have to seat it firmly, or it won't latch in.

Eventually, the lettering will wear off, along with a good deal of the finish. I'm thinking 4 or 5 years at this rate. Then, I'll have it refinished. My PT1911 is an EDC piece, so I'm not all that worried about it.

I had a custom Colt Lightweight Commander that I gave to my son-in-law, so he could protect my daughter. I carried that one on duty for about 6 years.

A little less attention to finish, but it has an awful lot of custom features. I find the Taurus to be MORE reliable and accurate than my old Commander.

Absolutely!

Thanks to all so far! I know by now the HD shotgun and the G36 have dropped down the list--almost out of sight compared to this. You all are just re-enforcing my first impressions from what I've read, and the two models I got to handle this afternoon. This pistol has actually moved off my 'list' and into the 'got to have' category as of right now! I work the next three days for the most torturous hours one could imagine--but come Monday--I'm going back to the same shop I was at today, and putting down a deposit at least. I swore to myself if another 1911 model ever entered my life again, it would be everything I'd want without me putting in time to make it the way I envision. I've researched and held a few of the RIA clones, and they are priced good, but we all know how price and quality can relate. Seems to me the Taurus has come up on the best end of those arguments with this pistol for me.
    Reborn: I hadn't seen the link until now---thanks.
    Sniper: got your PM--thanks--I have a real good shop here local that I just got my G19 from--they got a couple younger guys that work there that are kinda full of themselves, but the top dog is A number one, and they don't mess around. Having recently moved to the area, I already know I'll be sticking with them on most of my transactions, if not all. They seem to have excellent connections and above all, the best prices. BTW--I've always used the Wilson mags on my previous 1911's and would stick with them---that's good to know!
    Although I mostly see myself making somewhat tactically sound decisions---I haven't decided on the blued or stainless yet. I'd really hate to say that economics played an important role, but all in all, I don't think I could go wrong with either decision. The stainless model I held today wasn't shiny--more of a brushed stainless and non-reflective. The only other pistol I have in stainless is the P220R and that is a two tone but the finish is somewhat matte on the slide alone.
    Again--great responses from all and I'm totally re-assured now on my decision. Thanks---can't say that enough seems like.
    A little less attention to finish, but it has an awful lot of custom features. I find the Taurus to be MORE reliable and accurate than my old Commander.
    Now if that don't put the D in the DQ on top of an already double dipped ice cream cone----!

1. which model do you have?
    Blued but I am planning on picking up the stainless
    I currently use Chip and Wilson without issue
    I'll leave it unless i refinish it someday
    This is my first 1911
    Yes, The gun shoots and runs well and i have had only one issue with the ambi safty being loose. I removed the ambi since i don't care for them anyway but i could have just as easily tightened it up.
    My world is the only one that counts

I want one too! Ram, you'll hafta tell me where your local dealer is so I can take a ride down there and sneek a peek at what he has (I hate gun shops, seems they always cost me money to exit)..I have always lusted for the PT1911 and one of these days am gonna have one..like I need another 45..it's kinda like cheating on the wife, there are just some things you just don't tell her for sake of avoiding an argument.
    "Brains before Bullets"

I've had the blued model about 9 months. Replaced mainspring after about 4000 rounds, only problem I've had.
    Colt, novak and Chips run fine, all that I've tried.
    Everyone that has shot mine had positive comments. Billboard doesn't bother me, it's the holes in the target that matter.

Shooterwolf.

Blued

I havent tried any other then OEM

I personally dont care for the lettering on the side and if I was given a good method to getting it off.....id prob try it. On the other hand I did still buy it and have no intentions to trading/selling it.

I had 2 others, both springfields.

I've had no problems what so ever with this gun, it runs just as good as my springers did and this one has more custom parts on it. Im very pleased.

Id recommend this pistol to anyone who wants a higher end quality1911 but doesnt want to shell out big bucks for one
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

I have a Blued one that has worked with several different brands of magazines, The markings on the slide are immaterial to me, I have 8 other 1911's of different makes, The Taurus seems to be a very comparable pistol to the others - problem free, accurate and reliable, a hoot to shoot, I would, and have recommended this pistol in a New York Minute.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I love this gun. I have only had it for about a month now and I have put over a 1000 rounds through it and no problems.
    1. I have the stainless model
    2.I have never really tried to use other mags
    4. This is my first 1911
    6. I would recommend this pistol to any and everybody!!

I have the blued model. I have 2 Chip McCormick Power mags that work just fine. The "billboard" logo does not bother me, (it has no effect on how the gun shoots). This is my first 1911, it will not be the last. It has fed and fired several types/brands of ammo without fail. The only others I have fired were a S&W 1911PD and a government 1911 back in the sixtys while in the Army. I like the Taurus best. I would and have recommended them to others.

I have the stainless model and use Chip McCormick Power mags also. I have put around 1000 rounds through it with out a hiccup. Have used fmj, fhp. Yes I would also recommend it.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links