magazine springs

magazine springs

This is a discussion on magazine springs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My question is how many magazines should you have for a ccw pistol and how often should you rotate your loaded magazines so as the ...

Thread: magazine springs

magazine springs

My question is how many magazines should you have for a ccw pistol and how often should you rotate your loaded magazines so as the spring doesnt take a set. thanks .

not really sure but i rotate mine from time to time.(best way i quess
    would be a nice trip to the range).
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I really don' buy into the magazine spring nonsense; back when I competed in IPSC, I watched guys spend hundreds of dollars on mag springs at every area match convinced that their springs wore out on them every 6 months. I shot a full-house open gun from 1994-2002 when I had finally had enough of the crybabies, and the magazine springs I had in my mags were the same as the day I recieved the finished gun from the guy that built it. the only magazine I ever replaced was a big stick (140mm) mag that fell out of my range bag in the parking lot at the Area 2 match in 1997 and was promptly run over when I backed over it....

In fact, I still have the 4 regular magazines that I use with my 9x23 carry gun, complete with the same springs. I just use flush base pads with the gun now because it is a carry gun.

The springs I use in all of my mags in my guns are ISMI rocket wire, they are the best competition-proven springs in the industry hands down.

So don't buy into the Mag spring hysteria, because that is all it is.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Those sort of issues have been discussed extensively here in the forum. I know because I was part of the discussion. I used to rotate my magazines religiously--and I have alot of spare springs for some of mine. I've changed my ways through our discussions and my further research, and articles by spring manufacturers. Seems to be a non-issue as once a mag is fully loaded for the first time--the 'set' is taken and the only thing that's been determined to fatigue the mag springs is 'working' them-not leaving them constantly compressed. Try doing a search and I'll see if I can't find if I saved some of the articles I'd researched.

Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET.com

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...gazine+springs

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    What guns are you concerned with?

I replaced my Beretta 92FS springs after about 10 years of keeping them (2) fully loaded. I have never replaced (and don't need to) my Glock mags in over 11 years. I always keep all mags fully loaded. I don't rotate any of them.

Rotating them will wear them out more than leaving them loaded...you may have to replace the springs in 80-90 years...
    Don't worry about them!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    If any magazine springs show any sign of rusting they should be replaced asap.

Administrator
    Minium of 3 for each gun, I prefer to have five or more. Dont worry about the springs, but do make sure you take them apart and clean the gunk and lint out of them oncein awhile.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links