Range Report--bad day

This is a discussion on Range Report--bad day within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this is the correct place, mod feels free to move I went out to the desert today to shoot my G17. I ...

Thread: Range Report--bad day

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Range Report--bad day

Not sure if this is the correct place, mod feels free to move

I went out to the desert today to shoot my G17. I was using WWB 115grain FMJ.

I had to TWO failure to extract(???). The spent casing got cought in the slide facing vertical. Both times happened on the last round in the magazine. I was very dissapointed, as this has never happened in the 500+ rounds I've put through it, and further more I bought a Glock as I figured these things wern't supposed to happen.

To make matters worse, I was shooting way out in the desert (leagaly ofcorse) and I cut my thumb on a piece of rusty metal. Barley touched it, and blood went everywhere. Lucky thing I had duct tape on hand-- I tapped it up and went on shooting. Ofcorse, now I have to see when I had my last tetnis, and possibly go in for another.

Do you think it could have been the ammo? I don't think I limp wristed it. I was a goof and got a little excited and forgot to check which magazine it happened (I have my mags labled A,B,C etc.)

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Shoot it some more with different ammo. I wouldnt sweat it just yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

500+ rounds of federal and 0 problems. I'm sorta hoping its the ammo.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    500+ rounds of federal and 0 problems. I'm sorta hoping its the ammo.
    thats what I'm thinking, wwb isnt the best stuff out there
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Could be a bad round.

It's a Glock, I wouldn't worry about it.

That particular malfunction is one that indicates a bad grip. (limp wristing, too low, etc). If the brass is routinely coming straight back at you in lieu of off to the right, I'll virtually guarantee you that this is the problem.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    That particular malfunction is one that indicates a bad grip. (limp wristing, too low, etc). If the brass is routinely coming straight back at you in lieu of off to the right, I'll virtually guarantee you that this is the problem.
    Could be. If you shoot enough during one trip you are sure to slip up once or twice. I've shot well over a thousand rounds of WWB through my G19 and never had any ejection problems. The only problem I've ever had was with a brand new mag that was loaded to capacity. A little stiff and didn't want to slingshot load the first round. Even then it worked but you did have to tap the slide forward just a bit.

Dunno, WWB isn't bad ammo but certainly isn't premier stuff either. A weak load and you could get some issues.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    My question is are you the first to own the gun? I know you said you shot maybe 500 rounds, so I'm wondering if its fairly new or no? I have a G17 from 1985 and I finally had to put new springs in my mags. Make sure your rails aren't dry.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I've shot my glock 17 many times with no ftf or any type of failures.My glock 26 has been the same round counts would be in the thousands on the 17 and hundreds on the 26.Simple designs work well !

Administrator
    It might be a limp wristing deal... I still do it from time to time when I have just switched from 1911 or Sig to a Glock.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bought it brand new, very well could have been limpwristing now that I think about it. I had a huge thing of duct tape around my thumb, and it was fairly distracting (as in i was trying to accomedate for it). Now if i could just put the bullets right where i want them.

Make sure your rails aren't dry.
    Good advice for any Glock.
    Both times happened on the last round in the magazine.
    If you got a stove pipe on the last round, that tells me your magazine is not fully seated, your follower is damaged, or the
    notch in the mag is not large enough for the mag catch to hold it. See---the slide is supposed to lock back after the last round. Since your follower did not push up on the slide lock, this is probably the case. Inspect the mags carefully--seat each and every one you have (empty), then pull the slide back and you'll likely be able to feel which one is the probable culprit. In my opinion of course. Good luck with it. I doubt it's the ammo.

I'll put 500 more thru it, and see what happens. THanks for the advice.

Links