Step-daughter - progress plus! Or, beauty and the beast :)

This is a discussion on Step-daughter - progress plus! Or, beauty and the beast :) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think this'll fit here as well as elsewhere. But you gotta promise not to laugh, as one pic is me shooting, well - posing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step-daughter - progress plus! Or, beauty and the beast :)

Assistant Administrator

Step-daughter - progress plus! Or, beauty and the beast :)

I think this'll fit here as well as elsewhere. But you gotta promise not to laugh, as one pic is me shooting, well - posing as if shooting to be exact! Darn it - I look stupid in my shorts!

The deal was, if I post Beth's pics then I have to show mine - shucks, it's embarrassing Please note - part of my odd stance is, what works, mixed with a left elbow that will not straighten.

So - took Beth, your CCM cover girl, for first range visit this afternoon - late - which is why shadows so long. I also because of light direction used a side berm and set up a simple portable target. Since a few days ago she can quote the four rules perfectly and acknowledges their meaning. We did quite a bit of basic prep'ing before going - handling of revo and semi - operations of same, safety checks etc, etc ... she learns fast.

We started off easily with my pre K22 - an easy .22 revo tho, not the easiest of iron sights - but a good beginning and helped to get concentration on sight picture as well as trigger discipline. Followed that with more 22's thru 22/45 with red dot - that was popular, with such easy sighting - got something like a group!

Moved on then to Bersa Thunder - she liked the feel of that and actually managed it quite well considering so new to the platform. Needless to say, the .380 was much more noisy and some recoil but she handled that well. She did find tho loading a mag difficult because of overcoming the mag spring on last three rounds.

Finally we tried the SP-101 with 38 spl loads. That was a bit of a culture shock but again, handled well without being phased - just a tendency to some flinch which she recognized. Soon have that licked.

So - all in all a truly great first session, with much grinning! This kid has great potential and is such a good student - we'll be going for session #2 as soon as we can fix it - maybe a week or so.

Just to finish off - shoved 20 rounds in AK mag and bust a few small rocks! Beth had a coupla shots and - the grin got wider No real problem with recoil, which is after all not bad but - with her small 95# frame still not the easiest thing for a novice. The grin said it all tho with the word ''cool''!! LOL.

We also discussed a lot re awareness, avoidance of situations and, the fact that it won't be long now before she can have her own handgun and get her CCW. That will be good as I would feel more at ease when she has some means of defence - she drives a lot to college and work - and not always at best times of day.

So far the most ideal potential carry piece for her would seem to be the Bersa - but over time we'll see what she manages. Oh and I did notice she tends to lean back a bit too much with her stance - we are working on that.

Sorry to be long - this is a sorta ''Tangle length'' post eh

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    So you're trying to make Beth into a Betty!

And, oh those legs!! :outtahere
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Good Deal I noticed that a lot of people lean back my uncle has been a shooter 40+ years and he leans way back like she is doing but hes a heck of a Shot

You look like a Pretty Fly old Dude in your shooting Gear

Need a Son in law to Get all those guns when your done with them

Assistant Administrator
    ''Those legs'' - you mean my ''sticks'' LOL!

Well they still hold this old frame up - most of the time!

If you mean Beth then yeah - they are good legs
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    I would recommend a wider shooting stance for her and perhaps full coverage footwear. Hot brass on the feet is no fun. (and a pair of pants for you P95carry,LOL)

VIP Member
    I grin like that when I hold my AK47, too!

Great pics Chris, and a lovely young lady! Teach her well
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Ok, the instructor in me is going to take over.

You're right she is leaning too far back. For CCW I like everyone to lean forward into the gun and get the feet shifted front to back about shoulder width apart. Moving can come later. First get a good platform.

I know she had shooting glasses on when she was actually shooting, they were just off for the pictures right?

The only thing I noticed about your legs is your knees look locked.

I showed my wife the pictures and she had the same comments. She is also a pistol instructor.

All stuff that can be worked on, well except for you Chris, you're to old ya know. :chairshot

Good job converting another to the side of good.

-Scott-

Assistant Administrator
    The only thing I noticed about your legs is your knees look locked.
    Oh - thought you said Knocked for a moment - I know they look funny - soon it'll be cooler and regular long pants once more.

She can lean into the gun more but it's early days. We did experiment with stances in order to find what gave her a natural point - and isosceles suited her better than Weaver.

Indeed, the posed pics were without any eye protection - she found the pair I had so darned uncomfortable, they were off between series. Got some better ones for next time.

Yep - I'm too old to change and anyways - my excuse is still - ''what works for me"
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Oh - thought you said Knocked for a moment - I know they look funny - soon it'll be cooler and regular long pants once more.

She can lean into the gun more but it's early days. We did experiment with stances in order to find what gave her a natural point - and isosceles suited her better than Weaver.

Indeed, the posed pics were without any eye protection - she found the pair I had so darned uncomfortable, they were off between series. Got some better ones for next time.

Yep - I'm too old to change and anyways - my excuse is still - ''what works for me"
    My bad, I meant knocked knees not locked knees.

It just takes time with new shooters. For some reason the leaning back thing is what I encounter the most in first time/new shooters. With handguns it won't be such a painful lesson, but with a shotgun they have to learn to lean into it fast, or they pay.

You should get her some of the new cool eye protectors. They have some that pass as nice sunglasses anymore. A buddy of mine boasts his will protect his eyes from a 12 ga blast. My immediate question was would you really want to see what was left of your face afterwards.

-Scott-

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    "nose over toes"

She does need some forward lean. Have her put her feet shoulder width apart and then lean forward until she feels just the slightest of forward tilt beginning to occur. Then bend the knees slightly as if sitting down into a chair.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Quite right Lee - and this is way we will go.

Thing here is, up to a point, she has jumped in the deep end - unlike my students on Pistol courses so - today although she knew what was better, and actually started improving - I let it run while she got familiar with the various platforms.

She is bright as bright and will quickly put this to rights in next session. I could not ask for a better pupil - and as many know, teaching family ain't always the easiest - this is an exception that rule - such a treat when someone just wants to learn like crazy - love it!

I'll probably post a progress report later sometime.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Man, if it comes down to it, no BG is going to be looking at your knees... their attention will be focused elsewhere. Come to think of it, they won't be focused on her knees either...

Having instructed on military rife and pistol ranges I've noticed that many instructors insist on the perfect "book" stance, which often frustrates students who are trying to get used to the idea of handling firearms at all, remembering safety rules, trying to hit the target... and KNOWING that somebody is going to rip them a new one if they mess any of it up.

Now, I'm sure she doesn't have to worry about that last one. But my advice would be, and it works for me with the guys (and gals) that have trouble, is just to let them shoot until they are completely comfortable with the weapon... THEN start bringing in sight picture, stance, etc. I also check my "unpleasant" voice and personality at the range shack... it's useful sometimes, but not for this... but again your daugher probably doesn't have to worry about you talking to her the way I talk to a Private when they've managed to do something dumb.

Darn it - I look stupid in my shorts!
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Keep up the good work Chris! You're doin' good man!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    . A buddy of mine boasts his will protect his eyes from a 12 ga blast. My immediate question was would you really want to see what was left of your face afterwards.

-Scott-
    You should grab the glasses , toss em down range and unload a 12ga into em, JK.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Quite right Lee - and this is way we will go.

Thing here is, up to a point, she has jumped in the deep end - unlike my students on Pistol courses so - today although she knew what was better, and actually started improving - I let it run while she got familiar with the various platforms.

She is bright as bright and will quickly put this to rights in next session. I could not ask for a better pupil - and as many know, teaching family ain't always the easiest - this is an exception that rule - such a treat when someone just wants to learn like crazy - love it!

I'll probably post a progress report later sometime.
    The rearward lean is very common, but once you get a shooter to try the correct method they will adapt it.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links