Springfield GI .45 for IDPA?

This is a discussion on Springfield GI .45 for IDPA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A good friend and business associate (actually, my accountant ) just emailed me - he has three new-in-box Springfield GI model (full-size, WW2 reproduction style) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield GI .45 for IDPA?

A good friend and business associate (actually, my accountant ) just emailed me - he has three new-in-box Springfield GI model (full-size, WW2 reproduction style) 1911 .45's and he'd give me one at his cost of $375.
    I've been looking for a gun to shoot IDPA with, although a full-size 1911 isn't quite what I was imagining. I was actually leaning towards an XD.

Do you think this would be a decent out-of-the-box rig to shoot IDPA with?

Is $375 a good price on this gun?

What modifications, if any, would you perform on this gun to make it more of a competition gun?

Thanks for your input

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    375 is a great price, ( if its the ww2 repro) it would be fun to shoot IDPA with one although it might not be the best choice if winning is your goal.

At any rate, I'd buy all three, sell two and make a nice dent in your XD's price tag.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just remember - the 1911 design platform is the standard by which all others are judged, both in competition and on the real battlefield....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

JD
    Administrator
    GI model? The first thing to go on is new sights.

Where do I send the check??? $375 is a great price.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well I would snatch one of those up at the price ASAP. Can't even find one used around here under $400.

Keep in mind that you will be going up against folks with fancy $1000 plus 1911s with all the bells and whistles so I wouldn't expect to win the class. But on the other hand who cares? I have a RIA GI Officer's Model which is my first 1911 btw that I am going to take to my next IDPA match. I know I am going to get smoked, but it won't be the pistol's fault. It's just that most of the guys in that class in my club are "black belts" when it comes to gunfighting. I hope to be like them some day!

Back to the $1000 + pistols, it was funny one time when a dude showed up with a custom 1911, can't remember the make. He let everybody know how much he paid for it, you know the bragging type. Anyway I am green with envy a little because I can barely afford what I got and here is this guy, Mr. Moneybags apparently. Anyway his high dollar pistol jammed. A bunch. I don't think he made it through a COF without a hiccup that day. Priceless!!!!!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    You want to shoot that puppy in the CDP division---.45 ACP only and SAO allowed. If you can shoot it accurately out to sixty or seventy feet, no problems. As was suggested, you may want to put some sights on it, but until you are shooting Expert level I don't think the, ah, minimalism of the gun will be any sort of real hindrance on you.

And it beats the heck out of a 6" revolver for IDPA!

Oh, keep in mind most mods are illegal in IDPA. Check out the rulebook at International Defensive Pistol Association before you start worrying about mods...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Thanks for the input, guys. I emailed him back and told him I'll take it. I'll post pics as soon as I receive it.

I think I'll go ahead and order some nicer sights and some rubber grips - any suggestions on brands?

Thanks again for the info guys. There's no other forum with as much knowledge and experience to be shared.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Wow, sorry for the potentially stupid question, but...

I was just browsing accessories for this pistol that will be mine this weekend and I realized... I don't know if these Springfield GI models are Series 70 or Series 80. Can someone please tell me? Thanks :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

I observed a match back in January, and one of the shooters was using a Rock Island Armory 1911. He looked like he was enjoying himself, and the gun seemed to be working well, but I would imagine those dinky iron sights were a hindrance for the long shots.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I was just browsing accessories for this pistol that will be mine this weekend and I realized... I don't know if these Springfield GI models are Series 70 or Series 80. Can someone please tell me? Thanks :)
    Pete, this is really referring to Colt guns and their Series 70/80 firing pin safety systems, but I have heard people refer to other 1911 types with FP safety systems as Series 80. At any rate, you don't have one, in your SA, so it is treated like a Series 70. Next, you can figure out the Series 1 vs. Series 2 Kimbers!
    What Would Gumby Do?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post

I think I'll go ahead and order some nicer sights and some rubber grips - any suggestions on brands?
    I tend to stick with either Heinie Straight Eights, A couple different versions of Novak sights, or the XS Big Dot tritium sights.

Revolvers are limited to barrels 4.2" or less, so it would definately be better than a 6" revolver...<heh heh heh>

You know, it wouldn't be my first choice for IDPA, especially if you're new to 1911s. They are finnicky guns. This one is probably less so than most, but you should be cautioned about buying a base model 1911 with the intention of upgrading it; most times you're better off selling the base model and getting a factory gun with the stuff you want on it. That would be cost-wise, frustration, and function.

I'd go with the XD, but if this is what you've got--shoot it! The important thing is to get out and compete.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Wow, sorry for the potentially stupid question, but...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    They are not Series '70, that is a Colt trademark and the pistols contains features, Accurizer barrel and collet bushing, which yours doesn't have. You don't not have an internal firing pin safety such as the Series 80s have, so is your pistol is really closer to a pre-'70.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Series 70 Pete, or as close to it as it comes today.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links