Considering another .22

This is a discussion on Considering another .22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about one of these... http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10101&return=Y Yeah I realize they're some lawyer's dream gun, but Ruger has fixed the problem with the loaded chamber ...

Thread: Considering another .22

Considering another .22

I'm thinking about one of these...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10101&return=Y

Yeah I realize they're some lawyer's dream gun, but Ruger has fixed the problem with the loaded chamber indicators interfering with the operation of the gun.

For no good reason at all I'm considering one of these for silly fun with some sort of optic and subsonic rounds. Did you know they even make CT grips for these things?

I actually do like .22s. I want another .22 LR revolver but can't find one to my liking, except for the 617.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Could be worth also Euc considering the 22/45 - I personally prefer the grip angle and controls, tho the MKIII has made some useful changes. I am not aware of CT's being available for any of these as yet.

I may have posted before - but this is my 22/45 - SoLow mounts and Bushnell Trophy Red dot - suits well for steel shoots.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The 22/45's controls do seem to be better placed, but I've heard that it's nearly impossible to field strip unless you're a gunsmith.

I know any rimfire pistol is a nightmare to maintain, shoot, and reassemble, which is why I'm really into .22 revolvers more so than the autoloaders, but I'm thinking about one anyway.

I'm thinking about a single action .22 revolver too but I'd prefer a double action as I honestly have no interest in shooting .22 WMR. It seems though that for your money, you get a better value in a semiautomatic .22 versus a double action .22 revolver.

There's supposed to be a gunshow here next month. I may go see what I can find. I'm sort of doing some pre emptive pre show research here.

Assistant Administrator
    I don't think the 22/45 is really any worse to field strip, than a MkII. In both cases there are difficult aspects - the worst usually being the reassembly last stage. Mine is due a major clean and it no longer phases me too much to strip.

A total take down is another matter entirely .

Single Six is a nice gun if you can put up with slow load/unload thru the gate. Otherwise there are a few option for DA 22 revo's - I'm sure I recall a Taurus that is not too bad. Even nicer would be a Smith M18 or K22 but costs go up of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Havent heard any problems with the Mark III except whey they first come out ..

Might want to check out www.rimfirecentral.com
    For good info

I hsve the MKII version of that gun and man is it a sweet shooter. Been thinking of the Hunter version ofthe Mk III you wont be disappointed

I think Ruger makes a 22 in a Sp101 frame for double action

Lead Moderator
    Sub sonics most likely will not cycle the gun , or feed well. Even the LR sub's I tried thru my rifle and pistol would not cycle the bolt. But the Rugers are nice. I got a Browning Buck mark, it seems easier to disassemble/reassemble.

Nice to know Rocky. As much as I love .22s, I also hate .22s.

Lead Moderator
    I enjoy all mine. Have a 10/22 ruger, the buckmark , a NAA and a single six ruger.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Euc,

FYI... I just got a 22/45 Mrk III from Ruger. I love mine, and I've had it fieldstripped at least 3 or 4 times so far.

While the first time was a little annoying, it does get better, and Majestic Arms, LTD makes a fieldstripping kit that makes it easier (supposedly anyway).

It's all in what you want, but I think I want another pistol like mine to put a nice scope on the top of so it looks like Chris's :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Personally, I wouldn't get one with the new LCI. I picked up a MkII Target, 10.5", since they are being phased out. I also got one of the Majestic kits, and it is a big improvement! The only concern: a fellow over at www.rimfirecentral.com reported getting light strikes, after awhile, and he attributed it to the fact that the Majestic replacement hammer is +/- 1/16" shorter than factory, to allow the take-down pin to be removed(why not get a new hammer spring?!). I've got mine installed, and I'll keep you posted.....

Links