My torture test/Range Report...The good, the better, and the really ugly.

This is a discussion on My torture test/Range Report...The good, the better, and the really ugly. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, the good, is I'm headed back to the range tomorrow morning, without a cleaning, with 4 more boxes of 550 .22lr, and maybe I ...

Thread: My torture test/Range Report...The good, the better, and the really ugly.

My torture test/Range Report...The good, the better, and the really ugly.

So, the good, is I'm headed back to the range tomorrow morning, without a cleaning, with 4 more boxes of 550 .22lr, and maybe I can get a jam before I run out of ammo. The better, 2 kids were introduced into shooting, were incredibly polite, and were wishing the range stayed open later so they could keep shooting. The ugly...shooting a .40 out of a Kimber Custom 1911...:cringe:

I picked up a Beretta Neos with a 6" barrel the other day. I had been looking for a .22 plinker that I could play around with and be able to use to introduce my wife to shooting. She came from a Democratic family where there aren't any criminals, just victims, so needless to say, had never shot a gun. Anyway, she's put about 100 rounds through it and seems to really like it.

It was between the Neos and the Walther P22. She really liked the Walther, she said it was cute. After reading dozens of reviews, I still was not convinced that the P22 had fixed all of it's feeding problems, but everything on the Neos was a love/hate thing. People who owned them loved them, and people who didn't hated them. She liked the feel of both of them, and I gambled on the Neos, despite fewer reviews than the P22.

Anyway, she went out of town today and I decided to hit the range for a torture test. It hadn't failed in any of her try's but I was determined to make this thing ftf or fte. I took 2 boxes of bulk(550) Remington Gold Dot .22lr...I figured as dirty as the wallmart bulk is, I shouldn't have a problem. Well, I ran out of ammo and the range closed, so I'll be back tomorrow morning with a few more boxes. No failures of any kind.

I was at the range for about 5 hours, and during the time, the normal thing happens...You know, hey, can I try that, and why don't you try my new gun and all that. So here is the really ugly part. A guy, mid-forties, military background, seemed pretty familiar with guns in general and was averaging probably 3-4" groups at 15 yards with his Kimber. I was sighting in a Red Dot scope on the Neos(most groups under 1" at 15 Yards, but I only shot about 50 rounds with the Red Dot on, I just wanted to see if it worked or affected the balance, then went back to open sights) and he asked if he could give it a try. He shot a magazine through it and said it was a pretty fun little gun, but if I wanted to shoot a real gun, to try his Kimber. Well, there's somethings I never turn down...shooting new guns is one of them. He had a very nice Kimber Custom, so I said sure, I'd love to.

He loaded a magazine, seated it, put the safety on, and gave it to me to try...(Now, I would normally not hand somebody a loaded gun, but we're at a range, and the safety's on, so fine, whatever)...Well, here in lies the problem. I flip the safety, line up the shot, squeeze the trigger and it jams...I'm thinking well, this isn't supposed to happen with this nice of a gun...I drop the mag, clear the jam, and look what pops out...An exploded shell...So, if any of you are wondering what happens to a .40 caliber shell in your $2000 1911, here's what it looks like...

He was shooting a Glock 23 and mixed up the ammo. I'm suprised it fed in the first place...also, a 1911 is not very accurate with .40 caliber ammo, but the recoil is significantly less, IMHO.

Well, didn't hurt the gun, he shot a few mags and then let me try it again, this time I loaded my own magazine, and it shot great...I already had the 1911 bug, thanks to you guys, but now I can't wait.

Anyway, I go back to shooting my wife's Neos, and I'm about 950 rounds of .22 and 200 out of my XD9 in, at about 4:45 p.m. The range closes at 6 and a former LEO with a 5 year old and a 6-7 year old come up. We're about the only one's still there besides me, and I'm talking to the range boss and taking a break. The former LEO had another gorgeous Kimber 1911, a XD45, and a .380 subcompact. I asked the kids if they were going to shoot today and their dad said it was going to be their first time.

In the interests of my torture/misuse test, I figured I would offer him my Neos to let the kids try a few rounds before they try a .45 or his .380 subcompact. He really appreciated it and said he was worried about the recoil from his pistols, so we let them try. I figured if it was possible to limp wrist this gun, this 5 year old was going to give it his best...We of course had them shoot open sights.

Admittedly, we only loaded 1 round in the magazine for about the first 10 shots for each of the kids, then 2, then 3, and then they moved up to full magazines. I/We wanted to watch their handling before we let them repeat fire. So, here's the better part. I don't think these kids made one statement the entire time I was around them that didn't end with sir or please. These kids were incredibly polite and it was refreshing to see kids that showed respect. They were definitely not part of the me, me, me generation.

So, these kids had never shot a SA before, or a pistol, but they had practiced with BB guns. I explained the manual of arms to them, but it was mostly for their dad, because it's slightly different than a centerfire, and I was just going to step back and let their dad take care of things. But to my surprise after they had both shot about 4 shots, they were placing it on safe, dropping the mag, reloading their mags, seating them, racking the slide and taking the safety off, and going back to shooting, all on their own.

I don't know of a gun more user friendly or friendly to beginners than this pistol. They weren't shooting sub 2" groups, but at 15 yards for a 4 year old or 6 year old to be hitting a 12" by 12" target just about every time, with several shots in the X ring, I thought was pretty amazing.

My wife has the camera and she's out of town, so will post pictures of targets, gun, exploded shell, etc tomorrow after I get back from the rest of my endurance test.

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; March 22nd, 2008 at 02:40 AM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Not trying to be a smart-alec, but why are you trying to make the gun fail? If the chamber gets too fouled is there a possibility the bolt might not fully close and the round may fire and lead to a case rupture? Please be careful. john

I don't think you're being a smart-alek, and it's not that I am trying to make it fail. I am just giving it every opportunity I can think of for it to fail, while I am shooting it rather than while my wife is shooting it. This will be a beginning pistol for my wife, and later on, for my kids. There will be a time for her to practice FTE and FTF, but I don't believe we have gotten to that point, yet.

I love the .22 as an introductory pistol due to the price of ammo and the low recoil, but rimfire semi-automatic pistols are notorious for being jam-o-matics. Especially, with bulk ammo due to lower velocity rounds and therefore less energy available to cycle the slide.

I am very pleased to be able to say that Beretta seems to have found an answer for that. An accurate(while not match grade), reliable, affordable pistol for practice and so far seems to be a perfect pistol to introduce somebody to the sport which is what I purchased it for.

As far as your concern, with this pistol it is not possible for the firing pin to release while out of battery. If I couldn't fire 1000-2000 rounds through a pistol without worrying about whether I would get a case rupture, I wouldn't own it for long, and I definitely wouldn't let my wife shoot it.

BTW, I did field strip it when I got back from the range, I just didn't clean it...Feed ramp is pretty dirty, but the way the magazine feeds at a 45 degree angle, I do not believe it will cause a problem. Barrel has some residue, but no more than my xd after 200 rounds. I would say the pistol is good to go. If I saw any problems, I probably would have done a detailed cleaning...but it's a .22 plinker, I just want to see how many rounds it will reliably feed. To tell you the truth, I don't think another 2000 will be enough to phase it. We'll see.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

the gun my wife picked out when i finally convinced her to go shooting with me was a U22 Neos. it's a great little gun. other than having some cheap bulk ammo go *click* instead of *bang* i've never had a single failure through the gun. easily have 2000+ rounds through her by now. it truly is a great introductory gun due to the .22lr cartridge and the moderate weight of the gun. now my wife loves to go shooting and she's also got an XD9, M&P9c, and a S&W 642. of course she shoots my toys too. :)

Your report is a fun read and sounds like a worthwhile range trip.

I always say if a fellow is going to own more than two handguns then one of them should be a .22. Your miles ahead of the majority of centerfire-only pistoleros regarding beneficial pistol practice with that .22 Beretta Neos.

I love mine. Got it a couple of years ago, and it is perfect for cheap practice. I have had a couple FTE's, but those were ammo issues. Other than that, it has been perfect.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Well, spent about 6 hours at the range today. The pistol outlasted me, my budget and the range hours, so I give up. 5 boxes of Remington 550x5=2750 and one box of Winchester Bulk 500 rounds, so 3250 rounds through it with out cleaning and no failures. I'm going to go take a shower, field strip it and when my wife gets home I'll take some pictures.

I did have 1 problem with it. As was noted in some of the reviews I read, the rear sight windage adjust is spring loaded to the right...and the set screw seems to walk. At about 1800 rounds I started missing the mark. Still had tight groups, but they were about 4-5 inches right. The set screw had walked off and the sight moved to the right. I used a .22 shell to retighten the set screw the best I could, and it did it again right at about 3000 rounds. I'll get some locktite and that should fix the problem. I just put the red dot back on and continued to plink away.

Summary: Amazing pistol, especially for the price($210), cheap to practice with, will eat anything and keep on going and going and going, simple take down, comes stock with rail for accessory mount.

Accuracy isn't match grade, but that's not what I bought it for, and the rear sight will walk if you don't use some locktite to make sure it stays in place.

All in all, I'm happy with the choice we made and I believe I can look forward to years of cheap plinking and the joy of introducing countless shooters to the sport with a pistol that's as easy to shoot as it is fun.

Who is John Galt?

If you want failures buy some bulk federal 22 ammo. From my experience you should get at least one FTF in 20 or so it seems when i used it.
    My world is the only one that counts

Quote Originally Posted by phast12 View Post
    If you want failures buy some bulk federal 22 ammo. From my experience you should get at least one FTF in 20 or so it seems when i used it.

That is what I was using in my Neos when I had my FTE's. Just for plinking and practice, I guess I can deal with that.

B.T.W. Thanks Kerbouchard for posting this thread. Made me think about mine. I am about to go shoot a few hundred rounds through it right now.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by phast12 View Post
    Walmart didn't have bulk federal, only bulk remington and bulk winchester. I'm actually glad I didn't get any failures, I just wanted to make sure it will reliably shoot with bulk ammo. Having to use stinger's or some other premium ammo would have defeated my purpose of cheap plinking.

But thanks for the warning, I believe I will stay away from Bulk Federal if it's that bad.

Who is John Galt?

Thank you for your follow-up to my inquiry. Your method makes safe-sense to me. I hope you all enjoy your gun. john

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Got one: I quite agree about its suitability for a first pistol (it's my daughter's). Easy to work, easy to strip - a joy!

Links