Shame on you 1911 guys!!!!

This is a discussion on Shame on you 1911 guys!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been on this website for some time now. I had no need or want of a 1911. After reading all the threads on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shame on you 1911 guys!!!!

I have been on this website for some time now. I had no need or want of a 1911. After reading all the threads on here and then shooting a couple of them I WANT ONE SO BAD! The reason for the shame is mostly because I am hooked now and don't know what to get. I think I am leaning towards the 38 super round possibly in a duo tone but not sure what to look for what kind to get what a good price would be ect. I know that I will always be a Glock fan but my mouth waters every time I see a 1911. With that I want one even more.

I recently got bit by the 1911 bug, too. I'm going with a pretty basic model (a Government sized Springfield Mil-Spec in .45 ACP). This is about the closest thing to John Browning's timeless design as you can buy new today.

I figure I'll start with the "original" and then maybe (ok, probably) try different sizes/flavors after that.

Plus, .38 Super ammo isn't really any cheaper than .45 ACP, so unless you're setting it up to be a competition gun, I don't see the advantage to .38 Super.

Good luck with your 1911 quest

Peace,
    Pete Zaria
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    Its not a 1911 if its not 45 ACP, IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

true that sixto!

They did it to me to!! I dove in head first and love this gun!!
    I have a couple of H&K usp"s so sweeping the thumb is natural!
    Good luck on your hunting!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The only reason I was looking at the 38 super was because that is one that I dont' not have. I own a 45 but it is a Glock. As bad as I want one maybe I could swing one of each.

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, the thrill of buying a new gun isn't what it used to be for me. The disease has progressed and I've started building them instead of just buying them. On that note, I'm happy to report that my 10mm Bobtail Commander ate 50 rounds today without choking. Hopefully I'll have sights for it next week....

Administrator
    You might want to take a look at the guns being offered by Fusion Firearms.

Might give you some ideas anyway.

Fusion Firearms

Fusion Firearms is Bob Serva - past president of Dan Wesson Firearms & he can pretty much build you whatever you want. All top quality parts.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    I feel your pain. Unfortunately, the thrill of buying a new gun isn't what it used to be for me. The disease has progressed and I've started building them instead of just buying them. On that note, I'm happy to report that my 10mm Bobtail Commander ate 50 rounds today without choking. Hopefully I'll have sights for it next week....
    10mm huh. Yet another cal that I want to get something in. This site is going to break the bank for me.

Yup, they did it to me too. I started out with Taurus 1911, which I love, but have been thinking about trading it in on a particular Kimber that keeps catching my eye at my local gun shop. All I know is that I will never be without one now.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I just got my first 1911 back in January. It is a RIA Officer's Model. I love it and hope to add more 1911's to the collection. It just points naturally. The trigger is so much better than a DA auto/revolver. The flatter width also helps it to conceal better. Plus it doesn't hurt that it spits out 230 gr slugs.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'm glad we were able to talk you off the edge a little with the visions of JMB. I'm in the process of getting a Kimber, but my Colt Gold Cup is the best shooting pistol I've ever handled. After running a couple hundred rounds through it and got back to town I stopped back in the Gunshop and could quit gushing about how in love I was.

While I do have XD's I'm firmly a 1911 guy. One of these days I know I'll have to get a 10MM, but that will have to wait
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I tend to agree but I am not a purist. For example, I am strongly considering an LDA and I think they are variants of the 1911.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    I guess I am a purist, if its not American, 45ACP, and SA, its not a 1911.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, the .45 ACP pre-dates the .38 Super in the M1911 pistol by only 18 years. Colt introduced the .38 Super in the commercial Government model in 1929. So among the purists, the Super is considered to be a traditional caliber in the M1911, tho certainly not as common as the .45 ACP.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links