Decisions, Decisions

This is a discussion on Decisions, Decisions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see Colt as less in tune with our 2nd ammend. rights due to their policies concerning AR sales, but maybe thats just me. What ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decisions, Decisions

OD*
    I see Colt as less in tune with our 2nd ammend. rights due to their policies concerning AR sales, but maybe thats just me.
    What is Colt's civilian policy?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    I handled a Colt exactly like that one today at the local Gun Shop
    Tell me more about this handling expirance, I can't find one at any gun shop and noone wants to order one just for me to handle(even though I might end up buing it). How did it fit? How was the fit and finish, did you field strip it to get a better look at the workings? I see they offer 2 types of sights on those models, some you see with the carry sights, some you see with the regular fixed 3 dot sights, are the new models all carry sights? Its hard to tell cause they have the same model #.

Last edited by Bruces45; September 28th, 2005 at 11:49 AM.

VIP Member
    Bruce, this particular shop had the full stainless model on consignment in used condition. It was in excellent condition, with very little obvious wear. I didn't field strip this pistol, but probably would if I was considering making the purchase right then. Fit and finish were top notch, and the trigger break and reset caused minor heart palpitations (Chris would call this an advanced stage of "Coltitis" ). Asking price was $789.
    The shop also had a new Lightweight Stainless Commander. I didn't handle this one. Both models had the dove-tail sights front and rear...asking price on the new Colt was $839. Before I make my final decision, I will handle both some more, and ask everybody here what they think about "lightweight" vs "regular" frames.
    But, yes, I am a Colt believer If nothing else, the prancing pony will mean a better resale value if you wind up not liking the pistol.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I forgot to add this: it's pretty hard to stand in a gunshop, handle a pistol, and decide whether it's the right one or not. Some things just won't reveal themselves until several hundred rounds have been fired. It's always a crap-shoot....that's the reason there are a lot of handguns on consignment at Green Mountain Guns. Sometimes you have to go through several to find the "one true match"....

[Colt colored glasses on] That said, if you get the chance to handle a Colt, see if you don't feel a difference. Sure, they're all 1911's, but a Colt just feels right :diablotin [/Colt colored glasses off]

'

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    [Colt colored glasses on] That said, if you get the chance to handle a Colt, see if you don't feel a difference. Sure, they're all 1911's, but a Colt just feels right :diablotin [/Colt colored glasses off]
    I hear that, you can even close your eyes and tell the diff between a colt and a copy.
    My local gun shop told me $815 + tax for the XSE Combat commander BNIB, I just wanna make sure I get the one with the carry sights. They told me $775 + tax for the SA Champion. For just that little diff I will scrape up some more money and get the Colt, if for nothing else but the rampent colt symbol. I know Chris I got Coltitis, and I got it bad

quite honestly i find nothing special about having "colt" stamped on the weapon. ive owned a few combat commanders and while i have nothing at all bad to say about them, ive never chosen one as my only carry weapon. in fact, i feel that both kimber and springfield (upper end lines) have long since surpassed colt both in reliability and overall fit/finish. i know this isnt what you were asking, but if i were looking for a commander size 1911 i would be looking at either a kimber cdp2 or a springfield champion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
    i feel that both kimber and springfield (upper end lines) have long since surpassed colt both in reliability and overall fit/finish. i know this isnt what you were asking
    Oh, but it is what I was asking, then I drifted off to Colt la la land. I to agree that SA is a very very nice, well built, reliable wepon thats why I posted the loaded champion in comparison to the Colt XSE commander.
    For any 1911 fan holding a .45 that says COLT on it has a certain "feel" that cannot be obtained by holding a SA or Kimber or any of the copies.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Buy a Kimber,take it to your local gunsmith and for another 30 bucks he will stamp "COLT" on it. Problem solved ! ---------

i tell ya if your gonna but anything other than a Colt which i only own 1 colt 45 but Springfield and not MIMber ..yeah i know springfield uses mim parts to but i also notice lot less breakage issues

I love my Engraved Colt 45 so much ive never shot it now thats sad

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Buy a Kimber,take it to your local gunsmith and for another 30 bucks he will stamp "COLT" on it. Problem solved ! ---------

First thing first Bud, you send me that engraved .45 and I'll shhot the heck out of it and give you my report.

I believe I have settled upon the COLT XSE, I just gotta own at least 1 colt .45

VIP Member
    How's this? I'm a Kimber dlr but I carry a nickle Series 80 commander w/trijicon and CT's. HeHeHeHeHe (horse naying in bkgrd) Oh well, that'll probably change once I have the $$ for a lightweight Kimber pro carry w/nite sights. (same size as commander but 28 oz.) The MIM thing has been blown way out. A bubble in a non stressed part will show up right away, or it never gives a problem. The alloy frame Kimber makes has not shown any appreciable wear after 20,000 rds. LAPD SWATT ran a Kimber 1500 rds w/o cleaning. They just said "OK, lets stop, we can't just keep going forever." Unfortunately, Colt has been getting a beating in the market. I can't say anything bad (except for the weight) of my 1982 version after more than 30,000 rds. The satin nickle finish does make it hard to avert your eyes. Just look at the arrows in the rampant horses mouth, wow!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    First thing first Bud, you send me that engraved .45 and I'll shhot the heck out of it and give you my report.

I believe I have settled upon the COLT XSE, I just gotta own at least 1 colt .45
    Not gonna happen send me the XSE and ill break in in for ya got a lot of experiance at that lately

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    For any 1911 fan holding a .45 that says COLT on it has a certain "feel" that cannot be obtained by holding a SA or Kimber or any of the copies.
    i know that feeling...its called "i paid to much for less gun".

over many decades colt has taken a beating, losing more and more of the market share to its competitors and that doesnt happen by building superior products. i agree that colt builds fine handguns.....ive never had a problem with any of my colt .45s, my king cobra, my python, etc. but there is nothing "magical" about any of them. as smooth as my 4" python was i still prefered my 4" 686 and it has nothing to do with any anti-colt prejudice.

to each his own, surely. if a colt feels best in your hand then its definately the pistol for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links