Which 1911 base gun?

Which 1911 base gun?

This is a discussion on Which 1911 base gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Want to buy a great base gun to slowly customize, accurize and otherwise tinker with. What would be the best 5" platform to start with....

Which 1911 base gun?

Want to buy a great base gun to slowly customize, accurize and otherwise tinker with. What would be the best 5" platform to start with.

Opinions vary but Colt, Spingfield, then RIA would be my choices, most expensive to least.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Springfield makes great frames buy a mil-spec and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by dan728 View Post
    Springfield makes great frames buy a mil-spec and have fun
    Just what I would do for a base gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

OD*
    For me, first Colt then Springfield.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Hummmmm....tough one.

First you need to decide what work you can do at home and what work you cannot do.

If you do not know how to fit a barrel then you should find a firearm that already has a fit high quality barrel.

If you do not own a milling machine then you can't install your own aftermaket sights. So you should find a gun that already has the final sights that you'll want to use.

Ideally you should try to go Stainless because then you don't need to send your firearm out for refinishing every time you work on it.

It gets expensive mailing your frame out for work or refinishing.

You MIGHT just want to start with a Stainless Caspian Arms Fit slide and frame.

Or take a look at Fusion Firearms offerings.

See Below................

You can buy a NICE forged frame with a "forged Stainless slide fit to that frame" and a high quality barrel & bushing fit to that top end plus pick your ideal front & rear sight.

Then start your "build" from there fitting your internal parts rather than buying an already complete firearm and spending big bucks to swap out and replace all those parts.

Just something for you to think about.

Very High Quality.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Man, that Fusion stuff is real nice. Excellent prices also.

That fusion is nice, but for tinkering? That's a blank canvas.

Tinkering has Springfield Mil-Spec written all over it.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I agree...Caspian! That way, you don't have a shoebox full of perfectly servicable (factory) parts sitting around that you've replaced with higher-quality components. I give you this advice from EXPERIENCE! (Have Fun!)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

JD
    Administrator
    I would go with either a Springfield Stainless MIL-Spec, or a stainless Colt Series 70 repro.

maybe not top of the line,BUT,a lot of great guns have been built on a Norinco , if you can find one. jwr

+1 on the Norinco. My brother had one that was completely tricked out. Didn't set him back a ton of $ and was a fine shooter.

I would go to Brownells' and buy the stuff from there. They also have a lot of "how-to" manuals and videos, etc. I would, however, not attempt:

1) Fitting the Barrel yourself; suck up your pride and take it to a competent gunsmith and let him do it. I can vividly remember a know-it-all IPSC shooter bound and determined to shave costs fitting his own barrel in an STI gun he had hodgepodged together from parts he had won at various matches. He ended up ruining the barrel (breaking the lugs on a Scheumann Ultimatch) and cracking the frame because he didn't fit the thing right.

2) DO NOT do the trigger job by yourself; Again, suck up your pride and take it to the 'smith; There is a well-documented case of a range in the Dallas, TX area just about being sued out of business because of a garage gunsmith doing his own trigger job on a 1911. While he was shooting it, the gun went auto and doubled. The first round was on target but the second went over the berm, through a crack in a deflection baffle and hit a teenager employed by the range and killed him. It took forensic investigators a long time to figure out exactly what happened, and this story actually appeared on an A&E show based on the subject.

So, with all that behind us, I wish you all the luck.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

For factory guns to upgrade, my first choice would be a Colt 1991 in stainless, second choice would be an SA Mil-Spec. If you want to start with a basic frame and slide to build from the ground up then follow QkShooter's advice and try Caspian or Fusion. Of course, you can also buy the high end units like Les Baer and such to build up but they're pricey.
    Jack

Links