New Priorities - Page 2

New Priorities

This is a discussion on New Priorities within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like your pretty well set hopefully you wont have to use the stuff but better to have than have not.. I know everyone talks ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Priorities

Sounds like your pretty well set hopefully you wont have to use the stuff but better to have than have not..

I know everyone talks about a Generator but only bad things i see with that is SOUND doesnt matter who made it there loud even if you have the quietest one made in a city with no power its one of the loudest things and would i think call people right to you

Espically bad guys ..

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Sounds like you are off to a great start. The key is remembering that nobody will take care of you but you (bad grammer, but you know what I mean). I have definitely made some changes since Katrina along the same lines.

I have always camped and backpacked. I have a pretty good selection of tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, cook stoves, etc on hand. When it comes to lights, the glowsticks are a great idea. Also, make sure some of your lights are LED. The batteries and bulbs will last you a whole lot longer. Also make sure some of your lights are the "lantern" type. It is a lot easier to accomplish general work tasks with a broad light that casts all around you instead of a directed beam.

Bigsky definitely made an excellent point about pet food. Although we had made some preparations prior to the storms, pet food was not one we had thought of. We now keep a sizeable stock.

Does anybody have any particularly good ideas on keeping fuel? That, to me, seems to be the biggest headache. You can only keep so much gas on hand for any length of time. My wife's dad is a farmer and he runs just about everything on diesel. He keeps a large tank of it at all times on the farm, but he can also run his truck on it.

When it comes to firearms and ammo, I try to think "multipurpose". What will I get the most use out of in the most ways. Also, ammo availability. While you certainly want to stockpile as much as you can (within reason, I suppose), the time will come when you eventually have to buy more. I have told myself for years that I need to start reloading my own, but I never actually get around to actually doing it.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Assistant Administrator
    Gonzo - reloading is worth doing even if, as I have tended to do in latter times - you buy factory stuff.

Thing is - once set up even if basic you can have enough consumables on hand to represent a good extra quantity. I try and keep 2,000 each of most primer sizes, plenty of powder and I have bullet casting gear too so can even if power off, make those. I have boatloads of cases too.

Worth thinking about!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner
    Then I fired 200 rounds through the CZ. It is very accurate and fits my hand well. However, it doesn't like HP's. I've been reading about the need to polish the ramp, and I may do so. However, it was flawless with jacketed ammo. So, I've ordered some Corbon Pow'Rball, some Winchester Silvertips, and some Federal expanding FMJ. The Winchester and Corbon produce 500 ft.lbs, and 526 ft.lbs, respectively. If they work as well as I think they will, I'll probably settle for them and shoot cheap FMJ for practice. Anyone with a CZ , (DirksterG30), please comment.
    Older Gunner, I have not had any similar problems with my CZ's. Have you tried Golden Sabers? They work flawlessly in my CZ's.

You may want to check out these 2 forums; the 2nd forum has a section devoted the the 40-P:
    http://www.czshooters.com/modules.php?name=Forums
    http://p201.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792
    Last edited by DirksterG30; October 4th, 2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added web links

Congrats OG on your M94 in 357. You'll love it. I have the 94 in 30-30, 35 Rem, 45LC, and 357mag. Word of advice for the 357 (and 45LC), the M94 is extremely length-sensitive in the pistol calibers. I would advise buying only factory loads, or if handloading, seat the bullets to provide maximum length. Enjoy !

Gas can be stored with stabil not my prefered method but it will work

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Gas can be stored with stabil not my prefered method but it will work

Thanks, but I have to admit, the idea still makes me uncomfortable. Going diesal with everything seems to have worked will for my father-in-law, although his reasons for doing so were a little different.

I have even given some thought lately to the issues of money. Before the storm hit, I was alwasy careful to keep cash on hand for extended emergencies. However, I have to wonder at what point currency loses its usefulness. I always laughed about guys keeping precious metals on hand to use as currency, but now I have to admit that the idea has rolled around in my melon once or twice. When you work overseas as a security contractor, you learn pretty quickly that such things can go a long way. It is amazing what a gold Rolex will get you in trade. I'm not quite ready for my tinfoil helmet and black helicopter binoculars just yet, but I'm definitely doing an evlauation of what I have vs. what I might think I need vs. what I might really need.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Regarding the gas, I keep 5 gal. cans filled in a storage shed next to the house. I don't like it much, but if I need the generator, I may not be able to get gas at a local station. If power is out, pumps won't work. I use an additive like stabil in each can. The containers are actually a plastic. I fill to 4.5 gals to allow for expansion. I have 8 containers, but only have filled 4 to date. I also plan to keep about $1000 cash stashed safely somewhere. Haven't raised that amount to tuck away yet, but should be able to do so soon. Thanks again for the great input.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    even if you have the quietest one made in a city with no power its one of the loudest things and would i think call people right to you

Espically bad guys ..
    heh....during hurricane fran i lived in a fayetteville, NC suburb. when the power went out i killed my main breaker and wired my house into my miller bobcat welder and had enough power for my entire house. later that night i noticed my lights were getting dim. i walked out to the welder and found a half dozen extension cords plugged into it running all over the place. i unplugged them and threw them back over the ditch. not 2 hours later my lights got dim again and i went outside to find the same thing. at that point i took my dykes and cut the cords into 3 foot lengths. :-)

had they bothered to ask i would have surely shared my power source but since they didnt even bother to ask....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links