Brand-new magazine not feeding reliably?

This is a discussion on Brand-new magazine not feeding reliably? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please forgive me if this is a total noob question . . . but as that's what I am, here goes . . . Just ...

Please forgive me if this is a total noob question . . . but as that's what I am, here goes . . .

Just purchased a 10-round magazine for my 9mm semi-auto. The 8-round magazine that came standard works fine, but I wanted another magazine.

Although I haven't shot the magazine yet, I noticed when I cycle the slide a few times the first 2-3 rounds jam and won't feed up. If they do, they come in a bit off-kilter. After those 2-3 it feeds perfectly.

Is this something that will wear in after shooting it a few times? Or is there a quick fix that I can do to make it feed more smoothly for those first few rounds?

Lead Moderator
    What type of gun? What brand of magazine? Try shooting it before condemning the mag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Definately need some more info to help you.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Oh, man . . . I'm afraid to say what type of gun. I'll probably get laughed off the forum and have my registration to it revoked . . .

It's . . . ummm . . . . it's a Hi Point.

(Now before you jump on me, it's what I could afford and I do plan on buying something better in the future, once I save up some cash and also learn to judge what makes a good gun and what does not. So give a guy a break, okay? :))

What other info do you need?
    Last edited by Rev9mm; March 30th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Was the magazine a factory mag or after market?

Are you letting the slide slam home under its own power, or are you nursing it in? Does it jam when you fire with this magazine?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Factory mag. Bought from the same place I bought the gun.

I suppose you guys already assume this, but the 10-shot has . . . umm, what do you call it? A dropped floor? (yes/no?) You know, where the bottom of the clip is extended beyond the bottom of the grip to make room for the extra two rounds. Don't know if that makes a bit of difference, or not. Who knows? I mean, I guess it could.

After those first few rounds, the slide goes forward of it's own accord. If I nurse it on the first few, it'll go grudgingly.

Oh, and I tried with two different types of ammo: FMC flat-nose 147g and a JHP 115g. Both had the same tendency.

Shooting the gun is quite a bit different than trying to cycle it by hand. I doubt anyone will laugh at you for buying a Hi Point. I assume its all you can afford - nothing wrong with that. However, if you do find it isn't reliable, I'm sure you will find a lot of good advice on other options as well. I would shoot it first and see what happens. If that doesn't work, sell it as slightly used and buy something used with the money.... just my two cents.

Austin

I would go back to the factory configuration. Do away with the extension on the mag, then try it. I figure the factory spring might not be long enough or powerful enough for the capacity. That or the spring is overlapping or bound at the bottom. Speculation. Good luck with it.

A hi=point is better than a rock,i actually have considered buying one for a truck gun,until ou fire the weapon you won't now how it functions with the magazine but if it FTF while shooting go back to the 10 rounders and carry an extra mag to make up the difference,my 1911 holds 8 before i gotta swap mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Don't count it out until your fire with it.

Many people overlook the need for cleaning and disassembing any new mag before shooting, check for burrs and remove any 'crap' that might be left in the tube from the manufacturing process.

Good luck.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member
    I've had that happen with a new Sig magazine. It does happen occassionally. I tried taking it apart, good cleaning, different ammo, nothing worked. Scrapped it.

Links