Your Stupid Gun Stories

This is a discussion on Your Stupid Gun Stories within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious as to other peoples "stupid gun stories" that they've personally experienced. It was the thread about the 8 year old with the gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Stupid Gun Stories

Your Stupid Gun Stories

I'm curious as to other peoples "stupid gun stories" that they've personally experienced.

It was the thread about the 8 year old with the gun at school found here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...40-school.html that got me thinking about mine. I was responsible for teaching my step kids about guns, but only because I was a gun owner. My wife had never exposed them to guns and was pretty anti-gun.

I can't tell you how many times this conversation unfolded:

Them: "Is that loaded?"
    Me: "All guns are loaded, always."
    Them: "yeah, but does that one have bullets in it?"
    Me: "All guns have bullets in them."
    Them: <confused look>
    Me: "Lots of unloaded guns have killed people. The words 'I didn't know it was loaded' are probably the most common excuse for accidently killing someone. If you treat every single gun as if it's loaded and ready to shoot at all times, you won't accidently kill someone with an 'unloaded gun'"
    Them: "ooooooh! Okay. But is that one loaded?"
    Me: "All guns are loaded."
    etc...

One of the measures of when I figured it would be okay to spend time teaching the kids to shoot was when they were able to grasp that concept. It quickly becomes a matter of second-nature. If I ask them now, "is that loaded?" without even thinking they'll tell me "all guns are loaded".

Anyway, my stupid gun story...

In college I walked into a party (with lots of beer and such) and a group of guys who had just watched The Deer Hunter were sitting around a table with a Stainless Interarms Dragoon .44 mag, doing the whole Russian Roulette thing. I completely came unglued and they told me, "it's not loaded!" and I had to lecture a bunch of my peers (who weren't used to seeing me visibly angry) about basic gun safety. I then removed the gun to the trunk of my car and managed to actually permanantly liberate it. Either way, I definitely spoiled the party that night.

Despite the sound of it, these weren't idiot kids. They were of above average IQ. Some of them went on to be responsible gun owners (mostly thanks to me). But they had zero experience with guns, or even remedial gun safety. If it were hammered into kids heads in school, even if they were never to touch another gun again in their lives, we'd all be safer.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I'm curious as to other peoples "stupid gun stories" that they've personally experienced.

It was the thread about the 8 year old with the gun at school found here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...40-school.html that got me thinking about mine. I was responsible for teaching my step kids about guns, but only because I was a gun owner. My wife had never exposed them to guns and was pretty anti-gun.

I can't tell you how many times this conversation unfolded:

Them: "Is that loaded?"
    Me: "All guns are loaded, always."
    Them: "yeah, but does that one have bullets in it?"
    Me: "All guns have bullets in them."
    Them: <confused look>
    Me: "Lots of unloaded guns have killed people. The words 'I didn't know it was loaded' are probably the most common excuse for accidently killing someone. If you treat every single gun as if it's loaded and ready to shoot at all times, you won't accidently kill someone with an 'unloaded gun'"
    Them: "ooooooh! Okay. But is that one loaded?"
    Me: "All guns are loaded."
    etc...

One of the measures of when I figured it would be okay to spend time teaching the kids to shoot was when they were able to grasp that concept. It quickly becomes a matter of second-nature. If I ask them now, "is that loaded?" without even thinking they'll tell me "all guns are loaded".

Anyway, my stupid gun story...

In college I walked into a party (with lots of beer and such) and a group of guys who had just watched The Deer Hunter were sitting around a table with a Stainless Interarms Dragoon .44 mag, doing the whole Russian Roulette thing. I completely came unglued and they told me, "it's not loaded!" and I had to lecture a bunch of my peers (who weren't used to seeing me visibly angry) about basic gun safety. I then removed the gun to the trunk of my car and managed to actually permanantly liberate it. Either way, I definitely spoiled the party that night.

Despite the sound of it, these weren't idiot kids. They were of above average IQ. Some of them went on to be responsible gun owners (mostly thanks to me). But they had zero experience with guns, or even remedial gun safety. If it were hammered into kids heads in school, even if they were never to touch another gun again in their lives, we'd all be safer.
    Alcohol lowers I.Q.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's not a stupid gun story, it's a stupid people story. And there's a LOT more of the second kind than there are of the first.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That's not a stupid gun story, it's a stupid people story. And there's a LOT more of the second kind than there are of the first.
    I thought a lot about this. I think it's ignorance, not stupidity. I read somewhere that if you give an adult a gun and they're unfamiliar with guns... they ALWAYS end up pulling the trigger. That's not so much stupidity as ignorance. Because "the gun is always loaded" simply isn't intuitive. Think about it... the only people who ever look at your guns and ask "is it loaded?" are people with absolutely no safety training at all.

In the average persons mind, a "loaded gun" is dangerous.. and an "unloaded gun" is safe. That's the intuitive conclusion. Coopers Rule #1, which we all live by, teaches us that all guns are loaded. Rule #2 teaches us that all guns are loaded and dangerous and you can kill or destroy whatever you point them at.

All it took to "fix" my situation was one, single person present who knew very simple gun safety. Add two or three more people at that party, with gun training, and it would never have progressed as far as it did. Teach every kid in school basic gun safety, and it becomes nigh impossible for it to happen out of ignorance.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

A friend and I were instructing a handgun carry course and had an experience that caused us both to walk away from ever instructing it again.

My friend was giving the fire commands and watching the right end of the firing line and I was watching the left end. There was a young man on the very end shooting a Ruger Mark II .22 auto pistol, and about halfway through the firing exercise I saw him lower the pistol, roll it over left and right and examine it, then go back to shooting. I decided to see what the problem was and began walking towards him. As I did, he again fired the pistol, lowered it and rolled it left and right again to examine it, then again returned to his shooting. I sped up a little.

When I was about ten feet away from him, he fired a round, the pistol cycled another live round into the chamber, and with a live round chambered, his finger on the trigger and the safety off, he turned the gun completely around and peered down the barrel with the muzzle about three inches from his eyes. I froze, man I froze, afraid to say anything for fear he might pull the trigger. When he finally returned to shooting a few seconds later I had him clear his pistol and step from the line for a talk. Regaining my composure, I asked him why he had done such a dangerous thing. He was a perfectly nice young man whose only reason for doing it was that he thought "it didn't feel right."

So I ran my laundry bill up five bucks and Bobby's hair turned three shades whiter and despite many years as police firearms instructors, we never taught the course again. This happened ten years ago.

JayPee

You are wrong......

Their IQ's may be high, but their common sense is ZERO.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

This is a stupid me story.I live out in the country and one day I was out shooting snakes in my front yard.I killed 2 and was looking around for any more and started to uncock the gun(.22) with my thumb on the hammer and my finger on the trigger and I wasn't watching my right hand when my thumb slipped off the hammer and the gun fired.I had my hand hanging down by my right side and the bullet just clipped the edge of my right tennis shoe.Man another inch to the left and I would have had a hole in my foot.I learned a valuable lesson that day.All it takes is a moments distraction of not paying attention to what you are doing.sj

I feel the same as you regarding Gun Safety & was carefully instructed from my youth as to the thoughtful handling of potentially dangerous objects (chain saws, bourbon, electricity, leggy redheads, etc). Guns aren't unique in that a casual approach to them can KILL YOU.

If you single-handedly spoiled the party by your responsible action of removing a deadly weapon from the middle of a Russian Roulette game...then, as far as I'm concerned, you were still dealing with straight-up stupid . Ignorance is the lack of knowledge and/or experience. If they saw the movie (and recalled what happened) then they weren't entirely without knowledge of the potential outcome. Nope, that's S-T-U-P-I-D & no amount of Youth Gun Safety Instruction can serve as an absolute vaccine.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Here's my story. A while back, some friends and i were out hiking a trail south of where i live. Needless to say we came to a point where we stopped for a break and "John" had a .22, of which he pointed at me by mistake. I told he to watched where the muzzle was as i moved out of the way. Well he said "don't worry, it's not loaded". When he got done saying this he pointed out to a cactus and pulled the trigger.....well the gun went bang. Well the look on his face was priceless, but he again pointed the gun at me.. this time as i moved away from the pistol, i moved to him and took it..Afted that he never touched a gun while i was with him....
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

my wife and I were at the range and afterwards we unloaded and ejected all mags from all ours wepons , when we got home and was removing the hand guns from the range bag I grabed my kel tek 3at .380 and BANG! a round went off into the wall of my living room! to this day we dont know how this was posible, but it just goes to show that YES every gun is loaded , check, recheck and check again! dont let this happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Nope, that's S-T-U-P-I-D & no amount of Youth Gun Safety Instruction can serve as an absolute vaccine.

I see where you guys are coming from... and I'm not defending them in any way. I blew a flippin gasket over it, called them all sorts of names and told them how stupid they were. The ones who went on to do real training and own guns would tell you now how stupid it was.

But if they had been instructed as I was, there wouldn't have been a muzzle pointing at a person. If they had been trained as I was, there wouldn't have been a mix of booze and a gun. We take to heart these things and they become second nature to us -- but that's LEARNED behavior. Intuitive behavior is that "an empty gun is safe" and you can point it anywhere and pull the trigger whenever you want, and when someone questions it you can say, "it's okay...it's not loaded." If it were common sense, we wouldn't have to teach it.

It was repetition of the rules of safety and constantly living them over the years that made that seem "common" to me.

Although no Youth Safety Training can operate as a vaccine, as you said... When such situations arrive, at least it can be said that, "they knew better." Instead of, "we didn't think it was loaded."

A favorite axiom among older firearms instructor trainers is that: "Ignorant we can fix, but stupid is forever!" A mertiorious argument, in my experience.

JayPee

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    my wife and I were at the range and afterwards we unloaded and ejected all mags from all ours wepons , when we got home and was removing the hand guns from the range bag I grabed my kel tek 3at .380 and BANG! a round went off into the wall of my living room! to this day we dont know how this was posible, but it just goes to show that YES every gun is loaded , check, recheck and check again! dont let this happen to you.
    It's very possible that you ejected a shell prior to removing the magazine which would of left the weapon loaded,and your booger hook pulled the bang switch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here is my stupid story!! I was hunting with my uncle and cousin at the end of the blackpowder season! Dark had set in in the woods so we all came out, but could still see a little in the clearcut. I tried to shoot my rifle to unload it,it jammed!
    I tried fixing it for a few minutes, meanwhile my cousin walks in front of me. I'm cradling my rifle with my left arm Trying to figure out what was stuck. It was a cheap muzzelloader that the whole bolt slide forward. It stayed pointed in a safe direction, but when he got about 18" to the side. It fired, 150gr. pyrodex lit up the woods. When the smoke cleared
    The look on his face was priceless, I felt pretty stupid!!!
    The trigger was never touched, whatever was holding the bolt let go and boom! I'm glad he was o.k.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Think about it... the only people who ever look at your guns and ask "is it loaded?" are people with absolutely no safety training at all.
    That's a good point.

I would add that the difference between people who know enough to treat guns as loaded and those who truly consciously think about gun safety is trigger discipline. People who know at least a little about guns seem to have this notion that "the trigger is where the finger goes". I have seen this one a lot.

Indeed, I took my dad to the range during a visit a while back. He hasn't shot much at all in quite some time, but was in the army in his youth and had several stories of people killed with "unloaded" guns. He may not have taught me Four Rules, but he did impress upon me a basic respect for (as opposed to fear of) guns that has stood me in good stead. And yet, every time he picked my gun up off the table at the shooting lane, hie finger went right for the trigger gaurd. If he stopped shooting long enough to try and check out his target, his finger stayed in the trigger guard. (At least until I reminded him to put his finger on the frame. And his muzzle discipline was just fine...)

That seems to be a very hard lesson to get the casual shooter to learn, in my experience.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links