First visit to local range

This is a discussion on First visit to local range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've talked on here before about my lack of experience with handguns. So you'll be glad to know that I've finally achieved some experience. On ...

Thread: First visit to local range

I've talked on here before about my lack of experience with handguns. So you'll be glad to know that I've finally achieved some experience.
    On Saturday I went with my soon to be father in law and shot his Glock 10mm. That is one impressive handgun. I loved shooting it.
    Then, we shot is 8mm German mauser. I've got a bruise on my left shoulder after firing off 20 rounds. Awesome rifle.
    Next, we shot his AK 47. That rifle is hard to shoot accurately at any high rate of fire. Of course that comes from someone not trained at firing AK's.
    We also shot a buddy's .357. Very nice for a first time use. I really enjoyed firing it. But, I think the Glock has more knock down power.

I think I'd like to buy a .357. Do they come only in revolver?

I found this auto... Coonan .357 Magnum Automatic
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

.357 is a good choice because you can also shoot .38 special. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Go again soon.

.357mag is a revolver cartridge. There are a few oddball autoloaders that use it, but they're pretty rare. In any case, I wouldn't choose such a critter as a primary firearm. The .357sig cartridge was designed to mimic .357mag ballistics from an autoloader... I don't know how close they came.

Accuracy comes with practice. I'd imagine that AK would hold a decent group in the hands of an experienced shooter. Not MOA perhaps, but good enough for combat use.

If you liked the 10mm, you might consider a .40s&w. It's a shortened 10mm, and a very popular cartridge. Every major gun maker offers guns in .40s&w.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I just learned something new :-) Didn't know the difference between .357 Sig and .357 magnum.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! The .357 packs quite a punch, we use the 38 special since it's a good deal cheaper to shoot! Love firing my dads & grandfathers S&W .357 with the 8" barrel...

The .357 Magnum loaded with 125 Grain JHP's or SJHP's is still the "King Of The Street" in regards to one shot stop percentages.

It is my favorite handgun caliber and I frequently carry it off duty. It's no secret that I'm "Old School" and prefer a Revolver to a "bottomfeeder" any day of the week. I started on Revolvers, carry an Autoloader on duty, and carry whatever I want off duty. I usually pack a pair of Revolvers. One in the pocket, and the other IWB.

The Revolver is harder to Master, easiest to learn on quickly. If you can master a Revolver I think that transitions well to any other firearm you may want to carry. Revolvers force one to really learn "trigger control" since you have a limited ammo capacity. The plus side is, most Revolvers give you a Front Sight you can see, unlike the little "bumps" they call sights on most "bottomfeeders".

If you are new to handgunning I would urge you to start with a Revolver if you really want to learn to hit what you shoot at.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you are new to handgunning I would urge you to start with a Revolver if you really want to learn to hit what you shoot at.

Biker

I too think that Revolver is best to start with
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

thanks everybody for the good info. I'm saving up now in case I come across a great deal on a .357. I'd like to try out a couple different models to see which best fits me.

Thanks again.

Then, we shot is 8mm German mauser. I've got a bruise on my left shoulder after firing off 20 rounds. Awesome rifle.
    LOL! Steel butt plate no doubt? I had an Argentine 98 in 7.65 with stock steel butt plate. Not one to shoot often. That one got traded on a more modern version in a Kimber sporterized 96 Swede.
    I also used to have a Colt Trooper mark IV in .357mag. Fun yes, and you can always shoot the 38 special in them if you want.
    Glad you had a good time at the range.

Sponsored Links