Deciding where to buy, new/used?

This is a discussion on Deciding where to buy, new/used? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll start by saying that while I'm not new to firearms, this will be my first purchase (everything else has been from relatives) and I'm ...

Thread: Deciding where to buy, new/used?

Deciding where to buy, new/used?

I'll start by saying that while I'm not new to firearms, this will be my first purchase (everything else has been from relatives) and I'm not sure the best route to go through.

Looking at online classified ad's I can purchase a lightly used G23 for ~$450 with a few mags, and all the original equipment.

A local shop has the G23 with standard sights for $550+taxes etc

The same local shop charges $52 for FFL transfers

An out of state guy that My family has purchased rifles from before has a G23 with OEM night sights for $589, then add $50 for the FFL xfer.

At the same time, the nations gun show is coming to my area in a few weeks, but I don't what kind of deals go on at the gun shows as far as pricing goes.

Is there any benefit of purchasing new from a store vs purchasing Used from someone on the internet?

I purchase computer parts used online all the time without issue, but something that I'll be trusting my life with...I'd hate to get a bum gun or something someone has screwed with -- especially as my first handgun purchase.

I see a lot of seemingly good deals on G23's browsing this and other forums, there was one I saw somewhere with a .357 sig barrel, 10 mag's, and a bunch of other equipment included with it for $600. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me (not quite approaching the too good to be true)

Should I stick to the store and go brand new? Will I get a deal at the gun show?

2. Remove Ads

G23 huh? Well, personally, I wouldn't want to pay more than $499 for new with factory sights and two hi-cap mags. Call around--even some pawn shops are dealers and are able to get deep discounts from their suppliers. Used? If I were looking and ready to buy--$400 or less depending on condition. Previously owned mags are a dime a dozen here, so they really shouldn't add much of an extra cost to the sale unless the hi-caps would convey for $10 each or less. Night sights installed from the factory on new pistols are generally a bargain over having them installed aftermarket. One could expect to save $30-$40 that way easy. Add approximately $50 for factory nite sites option compared to $80 or $90 bought aftermarket and installed. From the Glock standpoint--buying used (in my opinion) would be a better bet than buying other brands in the same condition simply because the Glock platform seems to survive well whether deeply loved, or willfully neglected. Check your local newspaper ads online often, your local gun shops, forums like this one--post a WTB ad of your own, and be willing to wait for the used pistol of your choice. You can come out with a very good deal--just be persistent. Good luck. Glock on!

Gun shows can be hit or miss. I've seen deals I couldn't pass up and "deals" that just made me shake my head at how much they wanted for this or that. That's the fun of going to them for me. Its like an adventure. Scan every table and if you get lucky you might be the one to find that perfect deal, but most of the time, i'd say 95% of the time, I don't find anything that I consider a good deal.

As far as purchasing online; most of the time everything goes smooth as butter and you wind up with a good gun at a good price, just like your computer parts... but every once in a while you hear about horror stories. Never hapened to me, but I tend to buy as much as I can from either of my two local gun shops. If its a good site, the seller will have a rating that you can check out and see how other's have rated their transactions. Even though they are online, they will still have a reputation. If you go that route, stick with some that is as close to 100% positive as you can.

As for the argument between new & used; That is one you will receive different opinions on from just about everyone. My two cents is to weigh what you want the gun for. I have bought many used gun and have rarely been disappointed, but there have been a couple that have left my hands as quickly as I could get rid of them. Most of the time, I try to only buy used locally, where I can get a good look at the gun before I buy it. I like to hold 'em, break 'em down, look at the wear and tear in the guts, not just the fit and finish from a picture, but that could just be me.

I also love to buy new guns, knowing I'm getting something that has a good warranty, lifetime for several manufacturers, and knowing that besides the tester, I am the first one to fire that weapon. Its a good feeling to me, but not always worth the extra money.

If this will be your primary defense weapon, you might want to stay with something new, from a local shop that will do whatever they can to help you out should there ever be a problem... although having said that, one of my favorites is my Beretta 92 that was well used, but well cared for. I trust my families life to that gun as often as I trust it to the new Taurus 1911.

I know I rambling, but I hope some of my thoughts have helped.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Internet and personal buys don't have sales tax. In Arizona, there is no paperwork at all for personal sales.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    What part of VA are you in? There are some very good shops in Virginia that are roughly an hour or two from almost anywhere in VA. In the Richmond area there is Green Top, in the Warrenton area there is Clark Bros., in the Charlottesville area there is Woodbrook Sports. These are the ones I'm most familiar with. Call them or drop in and check them out.

VIP Member
    If your near the Colonial Heights/Petersburg area check out Dances

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    What part of VA are you in? There are some very good shops in Virginia that are roughly an hour or two from almost anywhere in VA. In the Richmond area there is Green Top, in the Warrenton area there is Clark Bros., in the Charlottesville area there is Woodbrook Sports. These are the ones I'm most familiar with. Call them or drop in and check them out.
    I'm in NoVA - BRA has the G23 for $550 BNIB... they wanted $100 for the factory night sights, and recommended against them and to go with the aftermarket night sights which I thought was interesting.

I will have to check out other shops but i feel like nova is going to be expensive period.

$499 with night sights AND two mags? new? Damn...i'm shopping in the wrong area!! Here I thought that they just didn't hold their value at all...turns out they do :) That's a lot better than the $650+ tax locally I was seeing. I will have to do some more shopping around then...Im looking at a buddies sig 229 too...more of a just because he needs to sell it to fund a trip, and it seems like a decent deal for everything he's including.

I think gun shows are usually overrated..unless your a guy who can really wheel and deal and talk the prices down.
    I would look for a FFL dealer who would do the transfers for 25-40$ and keep an eye on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com.
    Glock 23 used on GB starting at 390$-420 to buy it now..
    GunBroker.com guns: Glock 23 (item: 96045526 ends: Apr-07-08 08:13:12 PM)

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Gun shows in Dallas are usually a great place to buy stuff (esp Market Hall). I usually wait until one comes along to get my stuff. A few shows ago, I got a NIB SW 442 for $358 + tax. The out the door price was slightly cheaper than Academy Sports everyday price, not including tax. I know in some other places, gun shows are sometimes not a good place to buy stuff. I guess it depends on where you live.

$499 with night sights AND two mags? new? Damn...i'm shopping in the wrong area!!
    Maybe you misread it. Factory sights for that, in the box, with two hi-cap mags/loader/bore brush. The night sites will still run you +$50. My G19 was $479 BNIB before taxes here--factory plastic sights.

I did misread :) I think im going to go with aftermarket night sights, I like the looks of the mepro or tritijum over the factory white night sights.

Links