Defensive Carry banner

Delayed for a firearm

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lopadrino79 
#1 ·
OK I have a question on that form we fill out before picking up a new firearm (transfer form from the Atf i guess) Well anyways I get a delay pretty much every time I buy a fire arm now. I got in trouble 10 years ago but nothing after that and since then have aquired a New York ccw permit. Could that be the reason for the delay? It is frustrating because I bought a 442 at the gun show this weekend, got a delay, the guy called back 2 hours later and it was still delayed, and now I have to drive 3 hours to pick the gun up. Can I call the number that the dealer calls and try and identify what the problem is and resolve it?

#2 ·
So if you have a CCW in New York you still have to go through the NICS check? That is one of the greatest things about having a CCW in Texas. No NICS check!!

#4 ·
lopadrino79

My past record is squeaky clean, but I get delayed about 75% of the time for some reason. I think it is my dear deceased mother getting back at me for being a rotten kid when I was little brat!

Now whenever I buy a new gun, I never assume I’ll be taking it home that day. I have it in my head ahead of time that I’ll be coming back to pick it up the following weekend. I guess I’m getting too darn old to let it bother me. Once I bought a gun from a dealer at a gun show, I just made arrangements to pick up the gun the following month and pay for it at the next show. Worked out fine.

#5 · (Edited)
Names

You want to talk about delays. :aargh4:

I never, get an airline boarding pass w/o major delays. Even when I carried Federal Credentials there was always a delay, unless calls were made, beforehand.

Ditto a lot of other stuff. :aargh4: :aargh4:

Why? My name is exactly the same as an internationally known terrorist. Although he was a guest of the US at Guantanamo Bay, that didn't help with the delays.

OTHO, my CHP has worked magic. :congrats:

BTW -- Just checked. He was convicted and sentenced to seven years in prison, though all but nine months' prison time was suspended. Under the plea deal, he was returned to Australia to serve out his time.

#6 · (Edited)
Sometimes it has nothing to do with you!

Maybe your name is similar or exactly like the guy who was convicted of a domestic violence charge recently, or some other less than stellar individual. You can address the issue though with an FBI VAF, it's almost like filing for a CHP, but once issued you won't have to wait anymore. Google FBI VAF for more information.

I experienced delays for three years and never had a clue as to why, and no one could give me any information. Then my FFL suggested a VAF, I got the application and sent it in. No more delays.

Mag44Laf

This process involves an extensive background check!

#7 ·
Mag44Laf is right. Filing for a VAF is the solution to the delays. If you are approved for the VAF (Voluntary Appeal File) NICS will provide you with a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) and you will place that number in question 9 on the 4473. When the FFL calls in the NICS search he has to choose a special search, but the information on file usually eliminates the delays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.