I'm out of control

This is a discussion on I'm out of control within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm out of control. I now have a Ruger 10/22 with some toys. Bought this at a gun show this weekend. Yes it was in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm out of control

I'm out of control

I'm out of control. I now have a Ruger 10/22 with some toys.

Bought this at a gun show this weekend. Yes it was in parts but all major components were assembled. Here it is above in final stages of cleaning and reassembly.

I got some bonuses with my purchase.

What's cool is you can fit two of those 25 rounders together and just be able to reload with a flip.

The only complaint I already have is there is no apparent way to mount a sling on it at all. But the same is true of my Marlin 60.

I think I'll keep it optic free. Was thinking about a red dot sight, but said "Naaaaa." I think if I had a headlamp and some way to mount a sling on it, it really would be a good SHTF rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats the 10/22 are great. The Mags watch though if you want to connect them and shoot with them that way tape them together as mine wont stay stuck together ..

Dont have a Scope on my 10/22 yet but im thinking about it

Lead Moderator
    Nice buy. I have owned a 10/22 for 12+ years. Lots of mods ya can do too. I have had a bullpup stock, a red dot, various scopes and all sorts of fun stuff on mine at times. Built a 10/22 for my friend. Hogue over mold stock and a Carbon fiber bull barrel. Also modded my 10/22 with a trigger tune up and smoothed up the internals. Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ for lots of mod info. Ya may notice the trigger is heavy on the 10/22's. Other than this little problem ,I really like mine.

Trigger gets better with a spring kit and shooting

For what I'm gonna do it's okay if the trigger's a little stiff. The seller had no explanation as to why this rifle was in parts. I think some gun store clerk checked out early instead of putting it back together before the show. Luckily it's not a very complicated gun so long as the bolt and trigger group are together.

I think I'll keep those 25 rounders separate. They're Butler creek aftermarkets and I understand they're excellent for the most part, but I want to to put some rounds through them and see if they misfeed much. I do like the fact that they're so much easier to handle than the little 10 rounders, but in actual handling the flush magazines are more pleasant.

Assistant Administrator
    Not a 10/22 fan here Euc - but I guess that's cos of two guys at a club who always seemed to have issues!! I do know tho how popular they are and seems like you lucked out.

I prefer my trusty Marlin 60 - to which you can fit a sling easily by getting a pair of those screw-in mounts - just drill a pilot hole first.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You should be able to fit a sling to it mine came with sling mounts Weird

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Put a Volquartsen target hammer in it. You'll be amazed at how that one change will improve your trigger. Mine went from close to 8 pounds to 2 pounds. It has the slightest amount of creep in it, but I haven't put enough rounds through it for everything to mate together perfectly yet or to consider doing any polishing.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Well I've got both the Marlin and the Ruger now so I guess I have the best (or worst) of two worlds. I doubt very much that semiautomatic rimfires get significantly better than these two without considerable financial investment.

Here is the exact model from Ruger's website

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=1140&return=Y

Mine is that one exactly.

I'll figure something out I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    Put a Volquartsen target hammer in it. You'll be amazed at how that one change will improve your trigger. Mine went from close to 8 pounds to 2 pounds. It has the slightest amount of creep in it, but I haven't put enough rounds through it for everything to mate together perfectly yet or to consider doing any polishing.
    I've heard of Volquartsen many times before. I understand they even make the 10/22 pistol, which must be a rare bird indeed as you'd have to purchase a bare receiver from Ruger somehow.

on the 10/22 the reciever can be made and Serial#ed

Also i thing V makes there own Reciever i know you can buy them from brownells from a couple companys there like 400$$ though
    Last edited by Bud White; October 2nd, 2005 at 10:53 PM.

You could conceivably make a "pistol" out of it in much the same way people have AK47 "pistols" and AR15 "pistols". It wouldn't be exactly what I'd call slim.

Administrator

Thumbs up Congrats Euclidean

Great Rifle. I've shot one more than a few times before.
    Have fun with it!
    Beware of some super flimsy after~market mags.
    There are some terrible magazines available "out there" for that nice rifle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've actually researched the ones I got a little bit. Apparently they actually do work reliably and they do look and feel flimsy, but most people had good things to say.

Supposedly Butler Creek is going to bring back their Steel Lips line, which would be the same magazine but steel and not plastic. That would be sweet.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    10/22's are nice, I have 3 regular ones and 2 deluxe ones, my wife even enjoys shooting them. Check out this web site, they have just about everything you'll need.
    http://www.clipsnstuff.com/1022.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links