Question about Gun Free Zones?

Question about Gun Free Zones?

This is a discussion on Question about Gun Free Zones? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iíve been thinking about posted Gun Free Zones and the liabilities they must cause, I know in several states there have been bills introduced to ...

Question Question about Gun Free Zones?

Iíve been thinking about posted Gun Free Zones and the liabilities they must cause, I know in several states there have been bills introduced to address these liabilities. My question is simple does anyone know of any cases where someone has sued, won or lost over the liabilities? Or of anyone beyond the oblivious, recent school shootings or mall shootings that someone was harmed because he was denied his right to self defense.

Plus any intelligent and logical arguments that can be used to express our concerns and fallacy that gun free zones are safer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

For well-reasoned analysis justified by truckloads of data, check the writings of Don B. Kates, Jr. He has written more, and more eloquently, than most on the subject of the futility of controlling gun violence via the disarmament of victims.

The following can be found on the internet (PDF's):

1. Guns and Public Health: Epidemic of Violence or Pandemic of Propaganda? Don B. Kates, Henry E. Schaffer, John K. Lattimer.

2. Guns, Murders, and the Constitution: A Realistic Assessment of Gun Control. Don B. Kates, Jr.

3. Most things written by John Lott, including: Crime, Deterrence, and Right-To-Carry Concealed Handguns. John R. Lott, Jr., David B. Mustard.

As to the viability of lawsuits based on the fact that victim disarmament contributes to the risk, who's to say? I'm unaware of any lawsuits ever brought in this area, though I've never looked.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

FWIW, Virginia Tech is actively trying to pre-empt such catastrophic losses. Their legal department must feel some legitimate risk.

CCW9,

A person sued a WalMart store several years back in IIRC GA (or maybe it was TN) due to his wife being accosted in their parking lot, abducted, and later murdered. His claim was that WalMart should have provided active security of some means to protect it's customers to which the parking lot was an extension of their store and shopping experience.
    The case was found in his favor.

I'll try to locate info on it and will come back with an edit.

Edit:
    I found the following reference covering WalMart in a broad sense with it's well reported if not known criminal victimization amongst it's specific store parking lots, including at page 2 the specific case I referred to above (TN).

* 'Crime At Wal-Mart: An Introduction To The Issue'
    http://walmartwatch.com/img/document...eAtWalMart.pdf

Note: This case went to the U.S. Supreme Court (!)

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; April 2nd, 2008 at 05:16 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I can't find it now, but there was a lady the was in the Taco Bell drive thru, and was shot by a thug customer. She won, because Taco Bell didn't provide enough security for their patrons.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Townhall.com::Home::About US is about 10 pages worth of reasons why gun free zones will never work... there was also a thread here a month or so ago...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-responds.html

as far as liability, so far I don't know of a test case, but I have heard of some states trying to get legislation to make gun free zones liable for protection of it's patrons
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

"My question is simple does anyone know of any cases where someone has sued, won or lost over the liabilities?" I do not think in most states that there is a liability issue incurred if an establishment posts a "no guns" sign. MN tried to have that written into our carry law 5 years ago but had to drop it to get the bill up for a vote. After all the left views the sign as an effective means of deterring crime.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links