So I think someone tried to sneak up on me.

This is a discussion on So I think someone tried to sneak up on me. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As an older, wiser shooter once told me, shooters are actually prime targets for robbers. To be an active shooter, one must have a certain ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I think someone tried to sneak up on me.

As an older, wiser shooter once told me, shooters are actually prime targets for robbers. To be an active shooter, one must have a certain amount of disposable income. Like photographers' cameras & lenses, shooters' firearms are worth decent cash to a fence. The only downside? While a photo bug may snap the robber's pic (big deal, if the robber gets the camera, anyway), the shooter could ruin the robber's whole day!

I've instructed my son to always have a trusted companion when he goes to the range, and I try to follow the same advice. Besides, shootin' with a buddy is more fun!

2. Remove Ads

Last time I went, my Kel Tec P-11 was in my front pocket.

As I remember, didn't the two shooters who started the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami ambush several people while they were target shooting? I think they killed a one or two people practicing out in the Everglades.

VIP Member
    Some time ago I started to run a solvent patch through the bore right after picking up things (the only policing I get to do anymore) on the range. I thought what if I'm caught in some crossfire on the way home where someone is killed and I can't prove it wasn't me. But I'd hope forensics would clear me, and I was just being needlessly paranoid. They would? Wouldn't they?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Ive had a few instances of people coming up to watch...uh...no. If you wanna watch go to the local range...you dont watch me out in the desert...

I almost always have another loaded pistol Im not shooting...and I always have a loaded rifle or shotgun there to. I too keep my carry mag in my back pocket just in case.

Just today me and a friend were out at a local spot that is known...I had the Bushy stoked and ready.

Never let your guard down even when out shooting....
    Brad B.

You never use all your ammo!

Gunthorp,
    I had Farnam tell me he does the same thing, but in reality the only time I could see that being any use would be ina 3rd world country where forensics meant looking for powder in the bore.

When Im at the range Im oblivious to most distractions. I used to participate in NRA rimfire, and air rifle competitions when I was In my early teens. I hade one range officer that would never shut up, spectators, and everyday stress.
    So, my uncle Dan showed me a self hypnosis trick that Navy pilots use to ignore distractions. Its permanently ingrained into me, every time Im aiming a firearm.

I simply imagine an open box in my minds eye. Then I put my distractions into it, (example: a bad shot I made earlier, school grades, a range officer who is babbling like an idiot, hot/cold temps), until the only thought is my current shot. Then I close the lid of the box. When Im done shooting I open the box. Its not like Im unaware of my surroundings. Self hypnosis isnt like what you see on T.V.

It may sound like B.S. to alot of ya, but remember good shooting is mostly done with your subconscious mind. Even when T.S.H.T.F.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links