So I think someone tried to sneak up on me.

This is a discussion on So I think someone tried to sneak up on me. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went out shooting today again. I took around 300 rounds. I had already shot 250 when I was on my way back to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I think someone tried to sneak up on me.

So I think someone tried to sneak up on me.

I went out shooting today again. I took around 300 rounds. I had already shot 250 when I was on my way back to the target and I heard rocks falling behind me. I had my Peltor's on so the rocks falling sounded like a landslide. I spun around and drew my USP and something ran into the woods on the hill above me. I'm almost positive it wasn't an animal, because I already had shot 5 boxes of ammo and NO animal would stick around after that IMHO. So I yelled "hey" and ran up the hill after whatever it was, but couldn't find anything. I shoot ina little rock quarry thats on private land, and since I'm the only one allowed there other than the owner's family, nobody had any business being there. I looked around on th ehila while and decided that there wer 2 ways the rocks could of fallen. 1: the rock was thrown down. And 2: they saw I had ear muffs on and wer careless when they started down the hill but when the rocks fell they started to run. I live in a small town (542 people) and I doubt anyone knows what electronic shooting muffs are so I can se ehow an unknowing person would be careless coming down a hill. I talked ot my cop friend and he said that maybe they were curious. But, that being the case why didn't they say something while I was reloading my mags, or on my way to the target. I have about a 25yd walk to my target and I was abut 10 feet from it when I heard the rocks, so they had plenty of time to yell or whateer. There's been alot of wierd stuff going on in my town lately, one guy was kidnapped and killed, another guy was shot to death. Needless to say, I won't be shooting all my mags anymore. 1 will always be in my pistol, nomatter what.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

That's good policy for any range.

Occasional problems with cretins occur and they wait until you're out of shells.

Once that happens, you have expensive clubs that they may try to take.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

CYA by always having a full mag.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    Interesting - this is one reason why when at range on my own in particular, I will always have carry piece loaded and where it belongs. If I have just shot with it then I'll re-insert the carry mag.

Time downrange sorting out targets is vulnerable time - even more when perhaps other guns on the bench - good reason actually to have a buddy along.

I had one time when on my own and a strange guy turned up - said he was a member but - I was uncomfortable with him and after some chat he left but - I was wary - but armed and wary!!!

Definite need for yellow when shooting on your own.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Got to be careful....out there ya hear....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Shooters are not alone feeling a little jumpy when they are the only ones on the range. I shot during the week mostly by myself and I always felt there was someone standing in back of me. The range had a great view of the mountains and it was just a nice place to shoot. I felt much better when the LEO would be a few hills over at least people would be walking by and you could hear their crunch in the gravel with the electronic head sets.
    I really understand the jumpy part.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Gotta be careful. Paranoid or not paranoid enough?

VIP Member
    If I can't persuade SOMEBODY to go with me, I am on a higher alert, and more safety conscious, if that's possible. I keep the carry mag handy, no matter what. What are friends for?

You're only paranoid untill they get the drop on you.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

DC Founder
    I always remove my carry mag and ammunition and put it in my pocket. When I'm done and about to leave, I wipe the gun down, replace my carry mag and ammunition and reholster for the trip home. I have never, honestly, thought much about anything happening when I am downrange except general paranoia about idiots back at the benches mishandling a weapon. That keeps me in an almost constant condition yellow-orange for accidents but not really expecting anything intentionally happening. This gives me something to think about. Glad I normally shoot indoors and never leave the shooting station....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Always keep 1 mag handy some scary stuff

Does this quarry get a fair bit of shooting? I know personally we've had to stop shooting because of deer/cows/animals walking not 20yds away on the range. Animals get used to the shots if they are around it enough. Possibility perhaps...

Variable, nope. I'm theonly one allowed back there other than the owners family. And Sunday and Monday were the only two times anybody has ever been back there to shoot since I've been going down in those woods (6 years)
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Always wear the G-suit, make a stalk out of cheking your targets, and they will never know where you are. Oh, and get a can on that rifle!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I have always made it a practice to keep a loaded mag in reserve after I shoot. I don't like having my guns layed out and empty in case someone gets smart.

I always CCW another weapon even when at the range. I also take my empty mags downrange with me. I would really hate to be checking my targets and someone using my own weapon to shoot me. Bad enought to be shot at all but with your own weapons is just not right
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links