Defensive Carry banner

Happend at church yesterday.

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Gunnutty 
#1 ·
The wife and I were visiting her sister over the weekend. She and her husband live in a little town west of the Twin Cities. On Sunday we attended church services with them and afterward the usual coffee and chit chat. My brother-in-law introduces me to a fellow and his son who had just the day before purchased the boy his first hunting rifle. So out to his truck we go in the church parking lot to take a look at the boy's new pride and joy. We are checking the scope out and the action on the rifle in clear view of everyone coming out of the church. :eek:

Now remember, this is the state where a group of churches are trying to ban this very thing because of our new carry law. Somehow this rifle out in the truck did not hinder my religious experience one bit as it seems to be doing to the complaining churches. As a matter of fact it was refreshing considering all the crying taking place by the anti gun zealots in the Twin Cities. I also later learned that the Pastor is an avid deer hunter. I have to tell you, I like that church.

#3 ·
I was talking to the pastor of one of the biggest churches in the Pensacola area. He leads one of the huge Baptist churches in the NW Fla. area. He was telling me how him and 7 more pastors get together every year and go on a guided hunt somewhere in the U.S. They have hunted moose,bear,deer,turkey,and varmints. It kinda surprised me,but thinking on it, I figure that these men are just as much of an outdoorsman as I am. We,however, differ in other beliefs I'm sure. This preacher/pastor eluded to the fact that he was a CCW'er also but I did not ask. That to me is a very private matter.-----------

#5 ·
You never need a gun until you need a gun....
Let me be pedantic Blue :smile:

''Some folks never THINK they'll need a gun - until they really do, NEED a gun'' :wink:

#6 ·
To paraphrase?
When guns are banned in church, only athiests will have guns.
They WILL take that bible from your cold dead hands.
Protect a man, he will be safe for a day. Teach him how to defend himself, he will be safe for a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing that not all ministers and congregations feel anti. I suspect there is some liberal mindedness and elitist self righteousness at work in the churches who are getting the media attention. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of the permit holders in MN.

#8 ·
I personally have no issue with carrying a gun in church and I don't imagine that God does either. Churches, as sad as it is, have become targets for violence. There have been numerous violent attacks in, and on, churches in recent years. Having an armed citizen (or more than one, hopefully) there to react might just save some lives. Some churches have even had to resort to armed security (private or off-duty cops) to ensure the safety of staff and worshipers. I remember back in the mid-90's when there was a series of armed robberies of churches during services on Sunday mornings in New York City. Of course, the robbers knew they were safe and in no danger because citizens are deprived of their rights to carry firearms in New York City. The robbers knew nobody was going to shoot back. And, as much as I hate to say it, we must give some consideration to the fact that churches, especially large, high profile churches, could become targets for terrorists. They despise our freedom to worship and would love to take out anything that symoblizes that freedom. I certainly know that God will protect me and I rely upon Him for that. That being said, I also believe God expects me to use the freedom He has given me to defend myself, my family, and my fellow worshipers.
Gonzo

#9 ·
I'm REALLY surprised that more churches don't get robbed. We have several really big ones in my general area. The biggest has 800-1000 people at both services. I'm not really sure what kind of security/security systems are in place but I would guess that they do not trust a higher power to protect their collection plates.Sunday-no banks open-maybe armored car or big,secure safe.-------

#10 ·
but I would guess that they do not trust a higher power to protect their collection plates.
What about then RSSZ - a ''Hi-Power'' - that could help :wink:

#11 ·
I used to atend First Baptist church of Daytona Beach. The pastor thre is a gentleman by the name of Bobby Welch. It seems back in the day, Bro. Bobby was a commissioned officer in the US Army. Bro. Bobby was also a Green Beret that participated in MACVSOG and conducted LRRPs into Laos and Cambodia. One of his most memorable comments came shortly after he and a group from the church had gone to Miami to assist after Hurricane Andrew. As another storm was approaching, he informed the congregation of roughly 2000+ that he had already been to the store to pick up his hurricane supplies - 500 rounds for his 30-06 and 1000 for his 44mag. He also commented on the signs he had seen posted in Miami that stated, "You loot, we shoot." His comment was, "I ain't making any signs." Oh, and Bro. Bobby is now serving as the President of the Southern Baptist Convention. Things just feel safer in the bible belt...

#12 ·
RSSZ said:
This preacher/pastor eluded to the fact that he was a CCW'er also but I did not ask. That to me is a very private matter.-----------
im not suggesting that you are right or wrong, or that i agree or disagree......i just find this a little odd and would ask you to explain your thinking behind it. ive heard it before on several forums but never bothered to ask anybody about it. herpes would be a private matter, but a ccw? i finally got mine today (http://survivalcache.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24) and it feels so good to finally carry within the law.

#13 ·
The following are my thoughts on CCW.-------Before,and while,making the decission to CCW there are things that should be considered. These things are of a very personal nature. Am I mentally ready to CCW? Am I physically able to CCW? How does my family(the people who I actually care about their opinion)feel about my CCW? How committed am I going to be as far as training? Am I sure(can I live with) that I can abide by the local,state,and federal,laws pertaining to CCW? And,to me, one of the biggest decissions that you,and only you,can make --- under the proper conditions, CAN I TAKE A HUMAN LIFE??? I hear people say,"I carry a gun but I'm not sure(I don't know) if I could use it".To that I would say,"then why the hell do you have a weapon on your belt?"Along with that--will I be able to recover,mentally,physically,and monitarilly,if I am forced to take a life? What will my friends,coworkers,and just casual aquaintances think about my CCW? To me CCW means just that. We never tell anybody that we have a weapon on our person,in our car,in our house,etc. We ABSOLUTELY NEVER pull up our shirt and show anybody that we have a weapon. I will not inform a LEO that I have a weapon on my person unless mandated(by law) to do so. If I am stopped by a LEO,if I am asked to step out of my vech.,only then will I inform him that"I have a PERMIT to carry a concealed weapon and I have one on me at this time". Most of my close friends don't know for a fact that I CCW all the time.They know that I am a "gun nut" and I suppose that they suspect,but they never ask. If asked,I simply say "that's none of your buisness." Most people will quickly realize that question is,to me,inapproiate. If they push I will gladly tell them that they are an idiot. We can be proud of our resolve,mindset,accomplishments,that go along with CCW without telling the world. I,personally,don't want anybody to even think that I could have a weapon on me. That is just one more advantage that we will have if we ever need to use our weapon. I have known people that will take every opportunity to tell others that they have a CCW license and/or a weapon on their person. My question would be----WHY ??? ----------

#14 ·
if you ever encounter any church goer that hates guns, ask them to explain this...

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

That was a literal sword.

49 When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword?
50 And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.

John 18:10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus.

Matthew 26:51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest’s, and smote off his ear.

(Do you think Peter was aiming for the ear? I submit that Malchus dodged a much more serious blow, but was just a touch slower than he would have liked.)

I don't ever recall someone cutting off a body part with a figurative or spiritual concept.

Jesus did scold Peter for attacking the guy, but not for having the sword he just told them to make sure they had.

John 18:11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

Matthew 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

I have had people try to tell me that Jesus rebuked him for the sword. I think the evidence proves otherwise. Why would Jesus tell the disciples to buy a sword, and then scold them for having one a few hours later? He didn't. He scolded Peter for using it unwisely.

On a further side note. Jesus took the time to Heal Malchus' ear.

Luke 22:51 And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.

What did the Pharisees do in response to that? They Arrested Jesus anyway. This goes to show that liberals never have changed. They still ignore proof when it is put right in front of them, and attack the one who just proved them wrong. LOL.

Yes I know I have posted it before.

#16 ·
OH law prohibits concealed carry in places of worship unless permitted by church leaders.
With that said, my dad is a pro-gun minister who is going to get his own CCW soon, so while I haven't carried at church yet, I certainly won't hesitate to do so!

#18 ·
I have followed these posts with interest as I am a Baptist pastor. I just got in from church and while there a young man proudly took me out to his truck and showed off the shotgun he had received as a present.We are a country church and as such have more freedom perhaps then one in the city. Att any given time there are several guns on the church property. We don't make a big deal of it, but we don't hide it either.
Guys I believe very strongly in God and His protection, I also believe in using the common sense He has given to me. Because of this I practice and pray. I practice with my pistol and pray that I never have to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.