Selling Guns To Buy More Guns?

This is a discussion on Selling Guns To Buy More Guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In gearing up for a new purchase, I am going through the process of evaluating my collection. While it is nice to have a large(ish) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Guns To Buy More Guns?

Selling Guns To Buy More Guns?

In gearing up for a new purchase, I am going through the process of evaluating my collection. While it is nice to have a large(ish) collection of guns, the politics of home life and family budget mean that I can’t go bananas () – to fill one warehouse with motorcycles, one with guns and one with electronic gadgetry would spell my own demise(someday, perhaps…but for now, I’ve got to be more selective). Common sense dictates that spending frivolously isn’t what a grown man should do (at least, that’s what my wife tells me - I’m also told that she’s always right). I should mention here that I’m by no means deprived of anything, but it has been made clear to me that being discriminating in my purchasing habits is…’better’. I guess what I mean to say is that having too many toys makes me a less-than-popular husband, and I like being liked, especially by her.

Pardon the digression…back to guns. When evaluating what I’ve got versus what I want to get, there are certain features that matter more than others (duh). For certain, I’d never consider parting with certain pieces. That list is short…Firstly, the Kimber Ultra II that I’ve become so accustomed to carrying and shooting, drawing and re-holstering. It is something that has become an extension of my hand, and I’d be a fool to change up something that is working so well. Then, of course, Grampa Van’s Winchester Model 12 in 12 Gauge – it isn’t in the best shape, but it is more valuable to me than anything I own. Next, the old 10/22 I’ve had since I was a wee lad and will certainly remain close by. And finally, Dad’s Red Eagle Ruger Mark II, which really isn’t that big a deal, except that it was made in ’44 and Dad shot it twice before giving it to me in ’76.

That’s about it. My other guns don’t have sentimental value to me, and I’m beginning to consider which I should part with to get something REALLY special. I’m talking about trading in a few Taurus PT 1911s, an AR15 or an 1100…nothing rare or super-slick. What do I want in exchange? Nothing too outrageous or exotic, I’m talking about an indulgence of the sweetest handgun variet - maybe a P226 X-Five Competition…Sixto can chime in on this one, I hope. Or maybe one o’ those slick Wilson jobbies that JD so graciously gifted Lima T with.

Do you think it is foolish to sell guns to buys guns? I’ve always lived by the mantra that my guns stay my guns, but in this case, I’m probably not in a position to pull $2k out of our money market fund to buy a new pistol. And incidentally…I really, really, really have the itch to get something shiny and new (I’m certain all my forum-mates can relate to that). The solution is to sell something I don’t shoot too often, in favor of something that keeps me awake at night thinking about shooting it.

Thoughts?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

I am not a fan of selling guns, but if you are selling unused guns to purchase a more desirable gun, I don't see a problem with that. As long as you will not end up regretting it later, I say go for it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I tell ya that we have all regretted giving up a gun or two....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've been doing a little down sizing to but still keeping things I'm emotionally attached to. Its TOUGH..

I've now gotton to the point everything has a real purpose. The guns that I don't want to shot however, I have to hang on to are tough. My 92f/s first gun ever my dad go that for me at Quantico Marine Base.

The SIG 228 First gun I BOUGHT when I turned 21.

Glocks all of them except 1 serve a purpose. MY G35 is the one I don't want however I had my college seal diamond etched into the slide.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I just went through a safe overhaul, traded 3 and replaced them with Item's I will enjoy more!! I don't know that I would get rid of my AR.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Before I really began to CCW, I sold or traded a few guns that I have either 'replaced' or still regret selling...now, I keep them all...you just never know...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

AEA
    I had the same problem as you with getting rid of guns to buy others......

Fortunately, I do not have a Wife to contend with.......

I wanted a Custom Made Pistol and specifically a Wilson Combat Protector (Avatar).

I ended up selling a Kimber Pro CDP II to help take the bite out of a 2K purchase.

Don't sell enough to completely pay for the new baby.......just sell what you need to to take the 'Bite" out of the new purchase.....

I trade guns all the time. Keep your sentimental and personal favorites, but the rest are just objects.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Sentimental or gift guns will always stay.
    I decided instead of a bunch of middle of the road quality (or value) guns, I would trade or sell to get some better quality material.

I'm down in the 40's now on gunsafe inventory and have been able to replace with Wilson/Ed Brown and so on.

Dave

AZ I see where your WC ended up!! Nice!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I used to sell one to get another, but no more...and I especially wouldn't get rid of something like you AR which could very shortly be I don't even trust McCain much less his opposition. I'd suggest walking outside to that motorcycle warehouse and dumping one of those.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I've regretted selling just about every gun that I've ever sold. I doubt that I'll ever sell another unless it's just a piece of junk.......

Having said that, I prob don't have the number of guns that some (most) out there do. 3 rifles, 4 shotties, and 4 handguns......so there's plenty of room in my safe! I really need to do something about that.....

I've sold two of my pistols KT P-11, and NAA Guardian in .380 and don't regret it in the least. Recently though I had been thinking about selling my Kimber Ultra Raptor II to fund another purchase, but decided not to as it was my first CCW, not to mention that it has been 100% flawless. So, in order to fund my Ed Brown Kobra Carry, I made the trip to my music garage, and sold a couple guitars, pedals, and amps that wasn't using

If you know you're not going to miss what you sell...go for it!

I would hesitate to sell any guns unless you were really dissatisfied with them. We don't know who will be the next President of the U.S.. God forbid we may see a return of the Clinton ban on assault rifles and other hideous shenanigans.

A couple of months ago my wife expressed an interest in getting a Shiloh Sharps 45/70. I sold my Weatherby Varminter MK V 22-250 to help fund the purchase. I paid $600 for Weatherby with a Leupold 3.5X10 VX III Scope on it and priced it on gunsamerica.com for $1500. In 24 hours I had 6 guys that said they wanted to purchase it. I sold it to the first guy and never looked back. It was a good gun and the last coyote I killed with it was at 342 yards. Right now I'm working up loads for the 45/70 Sharps and casting a 530 gr Lyman 457132 bullet. I've not shot it any further then 260 yards but can ring the gong at that rang all day long. Even though the rifle was for my wife, I'm having a ball with it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links