Do gun writers test ringers?

This is a discussion on Do gun writers test ringers? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many of you have read glowing article after glowing article about this latest handgun or gizmo only to buy it and find out later ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do gun writers test ringers?

How many of you have read glowing article after glowing article about this latest handgun or gizmo only to buy it and find out later that is a piece of junk? I know the gun writers all claim that get off the shelf products to test just like what any of us would buy, but I still think they get ringers to test and write about. By ringers I mean products that are especially chosen and prepared to function flawlessly so they get an outstanding review in this gun magazine or that gun magazine. Yet real world experience is that the products end up as being garbage and not the neatest thing since chewing gum. Because these companies pay big money to advertise the magazines look the other way and lead us to believe otherwise. What is your .02 cents worth?
    Last edited by crzy4guns; April 4th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I dont believe anything I read in a gun magazine. Gun tests included.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think some of them work on commission because of the high praise that they give to junk.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Some testers get guns sent from the factory, some get them off the shelf. It depends. Glock's famous torture test was with a gun that Glock sent to be tested. Was it identicle to every other Glock? I don't know. They wanted to do the same torture test on the XD, and Springfield told them to go to a gun store.

I figure it depends on the company, the magazine, and the person. I would never use one review to base my purchase on. I look at as many reviews as possible, look at what you guys think, and roll the dice.

I do trust internet reviews much more than gun magazine reviews...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You are right Sixto, that is good advice for everyone here.

Administrator
    I will buy a Gun Mag or two (or three) every now and again.
    Mostly because guns "in general" are more interesting reading to me than Good Housekeeping Magazine but, I ditto SIXTO in that I take all of the firearm tests with a huge grain of salt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Of course. Gun companies surely send out their best products, to get the best "play" in reviews. And generally publications that advertise gun reviews have advertisers to help pay for the publication. The bread gets buttered, so to speak.

It's my opinion, though, that "testing" isn't what really occurs when one gun is played with by one reviewer ... no matter how stellar the person's name recognition or history in the industry. That's simply one review. That's not a testing regimen. A real test would incorporate a few features, such as random selection of a handful of example guns, various people conducting identical performance evaluations across an array of measures (reliability, durability, usability, ergonomics, suitability of various loads, ease of disassembly/reassembly, materials tests, service and support). Short of that sort of regimen, little "testing" really happens during a one-person review of a single firearm.

So, you're rolling the dice with any purchase, anyway. Which is why overall reported reliability and function is fine, but what matters most is my specific gun's performance/reliability characteristics, and that's something I can only determine by personally hammering the living daylights out of it, to see how reliable it really is.

BTW: The single most reliable firearm I've ever used was a Browning BDM 9mm semi-auto pistol with nearly 40K rds on it. I had purchased it new, and the last 10K rds had zero failures of any sort. At that point [strangely] it was the most accurate gun I have ever fired. Selling it was the silliest thing I've done with my firearms, bar none.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ever notice the featured gun writeup is accompanied by a full-page ad somewhere in the magazine?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Yes. Gun writers write articles about guns so the readers go and buy them and the companies make money and can advertise in the gun mag that the article so they can make more money. The money the magazine gets from ads pays the writers. Write good enough articles so we sell guns and then you keep getting a paycheck.

The only gun rag I buy is Handloader.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    -I was never big on buying a book of advertisments. Most gun magazines should be free, as thats all they are. Page after page of advertisments.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The frustrating thing for me is that I read a review, and want to buy. Or I read the Guns forum and want to buy. Or I read the Holsters forum and want to buy. Some of these wants may indeed be legitimate... but I'm still paying VISA for earlier purchases (some wise, some foolish).

Lesson for you youngsters out there: stay out of debt, save some money, and when you find something you want and it passes the "wisdom" tests, you can actually go and plunk down cash for it. Live in the real world like I should have, rather than the fantasy world of credit like I did.

Small Arms Review is the best bang for your buck, if you like surplus & mil weapons. Their publication basis is informational with comparatively modest advertising (more gear than actual guns).

It is just like the people who review movies, they get a all expense trip to here and there from the movie makers,distributer,promoters. Nobody is going to bite the hand that feeds them.

I buy them for the pictures. I now get my info from here.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I know that some stereo magazines, (Stereo Review for example) have no such thing as a negative review. Products submitted for review must be submitted with an ad purchase. I would assume the same is true for Gun Mags. That makes Sixto and others correct when they say it's all advertising.

However, there are other sources for reviews that don't have this policy.

I tend to think the range-reports here and other forums are much more interesting reads than a full on review.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links