Range Report: Springfield Mil-Spec (Dialup Warning)

This is a discussion on Range Report: Springfield Mil-Spec (Dialup Warning) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is my first 1911 style pistol - I was mostly a "revolver guy" before this, but it's won me over. Without further a'due: 14 ...

Thread: Range Report: Springfield Mil-Spec (Dialup Warning)

Range Report: Springfield Mil-Spec (Dialup Warning)

This is my first 1911 style pistol - I was mostly a "revolver guy" before this, but it's won me over.

Without further a'due:

14 shots in 3.5". For off-hand at 15 yards, that was decent grouping by my usual standards. I could probably beat that with my 6" .38 revolver, but only because I have more practice with it.

I'm very pleased with the fit of the parts and the overall feel of the gun. It's definitely on the heavy side for a carry piece, but the weight certainly helps to control the snappy recoil of .45 ACP. It locks up like a good safe, and the 3-dot sights are quite adequate for plinking.

The parkerized finish leaves a bit to be desired; it's already showing a little holster wear from my two dry-fire drawing sessions. I'll be considering having it refinished.

It digested 150 rounds of 230gr FMJ (one box of Remington UMC, one box of Blazer, and one box of Sellier & Bellot) with zero hiccups whatsoever. Brass seemed to fly in random directions, but that's not a real problem. Just makes picking up my brass more of a chore.

For the $436.00 I paid for it, I'm an EXTREMELY happy Springfield Armory customer, and would happily recommend this as a first 1911-format gun to anyone.

I intend to change the grips to some rubber finger-groove style grips, and perhaps lighten up the trigger a bit eventually.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on the Mil-Spec. I used to have one, but the grip safety kept digging into the web of my hand during recoil. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine, then he sold it after he had the same thing happen. We both now own Beretta 92s, because he liked mine so much.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I used to have one, but the grip safety kept digging into the web of my hand during recoil.
    Actually the web of my right hand is a little sore, I was chalking that up to needing to get used to the grip, and normal wear and tear for 150 rounds of 230gr FMJ. I'll consider a beavertail, but they have to be installed by a pro, don't they?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2 things to consider:

1) A good Beavertail grip; this can improve the geometry of your hand gripping the gun as well as prevent hammer bite. It will also tighten those groups and offer much better recoil control.

2) Instead of getting finger groove grips, consider a good set of rubber grips with skateboard tape across the front strap, ending under the grip panels. The tape is cheap (maybe 8$ for a couple of square feet) and does the job for s good while. That is exactly what I use on my carry gun and it has served me well through the years.

Oh yes, and I forgot. Get a good trigger job, too. An excellent trigger job can make that 1911 even better than it is now. And always remember: have a qualified pistolsmith do the work!

Good luck and welcome to the ultimate addiction: the 1911
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Man I gotta be honest, I love the parkerized finish on 1911's. Green, grey, whatever. Do you think you'll be using this for a carry piece or will you stick to your wheel guns? If you're considering it as a carry - just remember it may not be worth getting it refinished right now. CCW's will get punished, scratched, knocked around, etc.

Man what a beautiful firearm. 1911 or AK... 1911 or AK... Grrr...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

BAC
    Congratulations on the new gun. The Springfield Mil Spec is my first 1911 as well.

Word of caution about finger grips: they change the way your hand grips the weapon pretty dramatically. In my case, for the worse. When I ditched the Pachmayr American Legends that my pistol came with for more traditional grips, my groups closed up considerably because I could let my hand fall around the grip more naturally. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth noting.

Refinishing is probably a must; mine only sees range use for now (Maxpedition is taking forever for my Liger), and is already showing wear marks. The stock sights are not good for picking up a target quickly, either, so those'll change (Novaks or something).

Anyway, hope you enjoy a fine gun. It's a working gun, so just remember that that's what it likes to do most.

-B

Links