CC for protection against mountain lions

This is a discussion on CC for protection against mountain lions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I enjoy hiking and some of my favorite places to hike have been the scenes of mountain lion sightings. It seems that the mountain lion ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CC for protection against mountain lions

CC for protection against mountain lions

I enjoy hiking and some of my favorite places to hike have been the scenes of mountain lion sightings. It seems that the mountain lion or cougar is reestablishing its range in Missouri and has been spotted in Kansas due to the burgeoning herds of whitetail deer, a favorite prey. I normally carry a Glock 26 9mm as my edc pistol, but from now on I will be carrying a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel and one of the heavy .357 Buffalo Bore loads when hiking. I'm not in the Mark Twain National Forest area where there are black bears in southern Missouri, and there have been no sightings of any black bear where I hike. I am open for suggestions and I am willing to try any ideas anyone has.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; April 6th, 2008 at 07:17 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think I would rather carry something in a 41 or 44 mag, probably in a 4" barrel. Should get a mountain lions attention real fast. Might take a look at the Taurus Model 425.

Having the right gun is important, but seeing a big cat coming might also be a challenge...watch your back!

Stay armed...keep your eyes open & and take a dog if possible...stay safe! (a good dog will know if 'trouble' is around before you will...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We've had some problems with cougars around here. My English Setter was killed by one about 7 years ago. She was 14 years old and deaf and the cougar caught her behind the barn. My cow dog jumped in the fight and got the cougar off her before she was killed outright but the damage was done. She had fang marks 4 inches across her head, a broken rear leg and she was disembowed. She crawled back to the barn where I found her the next morning. At the time there had been several sighting of it and I'd been lucky enough to see some tracks of her but never got to see it. This year while setting up deer feeders my daughter saw a large cougar and I made her start carrying a hand gun in her hand while walking to her stand in the dark during bow season. I've heard them scream in the woods in Washington State and seen their prints here in Oklahoma but never been lucky enough to see a whole cougar in the wild. I did see the back half of one in TX in 2000 while hunting hogs. Just the butt and long tail as it headed into the brush off a senderio. I'm hoping one of these days I'll get a chance to take one in the wild.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Some years ago a bird hunter out in the Stranger creek area was training his dog in the off season when a cougar suddenly appeared from nowhere. He was unarmed and his dog was killed trying to save him. He finally drove the cougar away with a large branch he saw laying on the ground. The vet in Bashor, Kansas confirmed that the dogs wounds were from large fang and claw marks. A year later a woman hit and killed a cougar on one of the interstate highways in the Kansas City metro area. An autopsy of the animal later revealed that it was a North American specie and not the South American species that have been sold as pets. The stomach contents contained the remains of a raccoon and whitetail deer. The claws were sharp and not worn down that would have indicated that the mountain lion had been in a cage or in an area with a concrete floor. A cougar will still try to sharpen its claws while in captivity thus the dull claws. This was a wild cougar! Some wildlife biologists believe they are males following the Missouri river and its tributaries to expand their territories. The deer here have no main predators except for man, and have steadily grown in numbers. It is only a matter of time before someone is attacked and seriously mauled or killed by a mountain lion!
    Last edited by crzy4guns; April 7th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

The local DNR for years refused to acknowledge the presence of cougars and wolves in MI. They have now admitted to buying wolves from Canada and planting them. They have yet to admit to any cougar presence. Let me tell ya, I don't go in the woods w/o something to defend myself with. Just wish they'd stop lying to us, so people will know what to prepare for. Sooner or later they will eat a kid or someone will be attacked.

Oh how I know what you are going through, our wildlife officers from the Kansas Fish and Game deny the presence of mountain lions even though they do admit they get numerous reports from farmers and cattle ranchers. There are pictures of one near the KU campus! In Missouri the reports are even more numerous. The Mark Twain National Forest has cougars and black bears, and is in southern Missouri. I am not surprised that mountain lions have been spotted in the neighboring states of Kansas and Oklahoma. The last one shot and killed in Kansas was in 1901 I believe. Local Native American tribes in the area now on reservations, told stories passed down from their anchestors of a devil cat or panther that killed members of their tribe. These are the Sac and Fox tribes.

We also have a hog problem here in Kansas, a dangerous animal in its own right and also another favorite prey of the cougar. Plenty of wild game and sheep and cattle to lure in the mountain lion (and her cubs?). I just need advise on a suitable sidearm so I don't end up on the dinner menu when I am out hiking alone.

I will be very interested also to any responses to crzy4guns thread as I am looking at buying 5 acres on a mountain ridge backing up to the Mark Twain National Forest.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    We've got those kitties all over the place here in the high desert and mountains. I posted up here not too long ago about my neighbor who ran into a pair of them. He used a 9mm to take one down but the other one ran off. The one he killed took a head shot. That being said, I wouldn't trust a 9mm to take down a crazed backcountry animal that was larger than a raccoon. I carry my .40 out there because I don't have anything larger currently. I sure as Hell would be praying if I had to take a cougar down. The suggestion of a 41mag or 44mag would be about right, I think.

The backcountry is no place to hedge your bets. True - the vast majority of hikers will never run into problems. But the rest end up as missing persons reports. 3 miles from your car is nothing when you have the ability to move without injury. Try walking 3 miles with a serious injury - if you can walk.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Your best bet would be a .41 Magnum. Ballistics are very similar to the .44 Magnum at a lower per round cost. Having said that, my wife and I hike/hunt the mountains here in Colorado and have sidearms at all times. CO allows (unless otherwise posted) open carry as the State realizes we are NOT the highest animal on the food chain. I carry a 1911 and she carries a .357 Magnum. We cannot afford to buy another pistol (or two).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Missouri officials have confirmed six wild cougars and one escaped pet cougar since 1994. Locals will tell you that there are a lot more and have lost livestock. I am talking large bovine animals. No coyote or bobcat has the strength or size to accomplish that feat. The Mark Twain National Forest is a beautiful pristine forest during the day and a down right spooky place at night. Hikers have wound up on the missing persons reports. Laugh if you will, but there has even been reports of encounters with bigfoot creatures. I refuse to hike there anymore. One night alone in the forest was all it took for me. I hike in the Ozarks further north and west. Mountain lions and black bears are enough to cause me concern. Now the lions seem to be in my neck of the woods so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I enjoy hiking and some of my favorite places to hike have been the scenes of mountain lion sightings.

I am open for suggestions and I am willing to try any ideas anyone has.
    Hike with a companion. You can be as armed as you like, but with cougar you are likely to not hear an attack until you're hit. At that point, it might well be beyond your abilities to withstand a ~150 lb cat's strength ... even to draw and use a gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry a 44 mag with either 240 or 300 grain jhp,but if ya can't hit with it carry whatever you can get good shot placementwith and as far as a .357 i would carry 158 JSP for bettr penetration with expansion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have been looking up some facts about the cougar and one fact I found interesting is that it is the same size and of the same strength as a leopard. Leopards have been known to be maneaters in Africa and India. Both species can leap 60 ft. from a tree or ledge to the ground without injuring itself. Both are ambush predators. While I have never seen a mountain lion in the wild, I wonder if I have been under the watchful gaze of one as I walked beneath a tree or a cliff in the outdoors and never knew it. They also can spring 20 ft. in a single leap.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; April 7th, 2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: misquote of fact

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links