DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture - Page 3

DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture

This is a discussion on DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sure, many "accidents" are actually negligents; I don't believe that's really an issue. But if we wish to be consistent, which we apparently don't, we ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Moderator
    Sure, many "accidents" are actually negligents; I don't believe that's really an issue. But if we wish to be consistent, which we apparently don't, we should refer to car accidents as negligents if they are.

I think we all can agree that car negligents endanger innocent life. So if we have a car negligent that endangered others, should we be essentially banned from driving again, have our car negligent repeatedly displayed over the internet, and be severely scorned by other drivers?

Well the answer to this question seems to depend on what you said before you had your car negligent rather than the potential for injury of the negligent itself. Again I refer to the trainer who negligently shot and killed a fellow officer in a training negligent. The attitude toward this man is starkly different than attitude toward the DEA agent that harmed no one but himself. Yet both men broke the same rules; both men endangered everyone in the room, one ended in a death, the other a wound to himself. We hurt for the one and ruthlessly and endlessly scorn the other. Why?

If you boast about your 20 years of negligent free driving and then have a car negligent, do you deserve everything any and all can throw at you for the rest of your life?

I really like JT's comments above; they are right on! We can use this "negligent" to learn from, but the effort seems to be much more focused at nashing at the agent than using it the way JT wisely suggests.

Again I like JT's wisdom:
    "So, in regards to the actual incident (and not judging any future consequences) :

1. He displayed a blatant disregard for gun safety.
    2. He displayed an amazing amount of arrogance, before and after the incident.
    3. He endangered a large group of people, comprised mostly of children
    4. He did all this while in the capacity on an “expert”, so should be held to an even higher standard than a normal person. "

That seems sufficient.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    You have to give the guy credit for continuing for as long as he did. Almost didn't miss a beat.

I think Tangle has a point. We have a lot of double-standards when it comes to firearms. Some of them are as emotionally irrational as the anti-gunner's double-standards. I'm guilty of it myself.

Ultimately we are all human and we will all make mistakes - some of them will be serious mistakes. We should expect to pay for them - and part of that payment is the humiliation and embarassment that goes along with it. But hopefully there will those who will help us through it - those who understand that we are after all human and that we have suffered enough to start to work through the aftermath.
    Wow that's good! You stated my thoughts better than I could!

VIP Member
    So, we all agree that the DEA's actions were stupid and paid and is still paying a high price for the ND.

And we agree to disagree on our reaction to the video. Some will ridicule and censor his butt
    Others will feel compassionate about the guy and will hope he will continue with his life
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    And we agree to disagree on our reaction to the video. Some will ridicule and censor his butt
    Others will feel compassionate about the guy and will hope he will continue with his life
    I have a feeling that if we all knew more about the current state of affairs, most of us would probably agree on this also. Just suppose, he sat down with us and said, “Look guys, I really messed up. I was an irresponsible, arrogant, jerk but I’ve really learned from this. I’ve become religious about following the gun saftey commandments, and I hope I can also learn something from you guys.” I think all of us would be willing to say the guy deserves a second chance.

On the other hand, if he said, “You see this badge? Screw you. Don’t try to tell me about guns.” I think we would be pretty unanimous in our opinion on that one also.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I have a feeling that if we all knew more about the current state of affairs, most of us would probably agree on this also. Just suppose, he sat down with us and said, “Look guys, I really messed up. I was an irresponsible, arrogant, jerk but I’ve really learned from this. I’ve become religious about following the gun saftey commandments, and I hope I can also learn something from you guys.” I think all of us would be willing to say the guy deserves a second chance.

On the other hand, if he said, “You see this badge? Screw you. Don’t try to tell me about guns.” I think we would be pretty unanimous in our opinion on that one also.
    That's the way I see it!

Assistant Administrator
    JT - me too! That is about the size of it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT - see, there you go ruining one of the few things that this forum disagrees on. :) Well put.

JT [OP]
    We can have plenty of disagreement if you want. Just start a Glock vs 1911 vs SIG thread. Or a 9mm vs 45 vs 40 thread.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

I thought 1911's and 45 already won... ?

VIP Member
    Dream On! Besides, 40 is a solution looking for a problem!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I thought 1911's and 45 already won... ?
    Maybe back in 1975.

Senior Moderator
    I'm goin' shootin' and see which one is best! Oh wait, I can't, I've already been twice this week. Hmmm, it doesn't matter though, I already know which caliber and gun is the best.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Just suppose, he sat down with us and said, “Look guys, I really messed up. I was an irresponsible, arrogant, jerk but I’ve really learned from this. I’ve become religious about following the gun saftey commandments, and I hope I can also learn something from you guys.” I think all of us would be willing to say the guy deserves a second chance.
    I do not think a parent of a child in that class would ever say "Thats ok I forgive you for putting my childs life in danger" Maybe just a passer by who had no connection to the incident may forgive and forget.
    Everyone is accountable for their actions weather there accidental or intentional, and the bottom line is he neglent in his actions and should be reminded of this as often as possible so he dosn't forget.

As to the other debate brought up, the 1911 .45 ALWAYS wins, hands down no matter what.

Rasta Narc need to have a desk job with no gun no excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Rasta Narc need to have a desk job with no gun no excuse
    He should be so lucky to have a job besides meter jockey with any agency!
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links