DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture - Page 4

DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture

This is a discussion on DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Needs to be promoted to Sewer Snoop for them ya know go down in the sewer to do the wire taps and etc etc that ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEA agent shoots himself during gun safety lecture

Needs to be promoted to Sewer Snoop for them ya know go down in the sewer to do the wire taps and etc etc that way he cant hurt anyone

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    I do not think a parent of a child in that class would ever say "Thats ok I forgive you for putting my childs life in danger" Maybe just a passer by who had no connection to the incident may forgive and forget.
    Everyone is accountable for their actions weather there accidental or intentional, and the bottom line is he neglent in his actions and should be reminded of this as often as possible so he dosn't forget.

As to the other debate brought up, the 1911 .45 ALWAYS wins, hands down no matter what.
    Yes, I was speaking as a person not involved, since that is what I am. I am a father, and I can assure you if my child were there, my feelings would be much harsher. Heads would roll. I also wasn’t saying he should continue in his job. Somebody can be "rehabilitated" if they truly change, but they still have to face the consequences of their actions.

And as for the other arguement - you're half right. Make it a Glock 21.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    There are drunks that drive and kill that don't draw the wrath this man has.
    and over on madd.com they are getting slammed just like the fool with a gun is getting slammed here.

no I don't consider him a victim
    it sure seems that way....you continue to defend and pity him. poor poor negligent fool shot himself in a classroom full of children and endangered every child in that room. what do you think the ricochet potential is when a .40 caliber bullet hits 6" thick concrete from a distance of about 3 feet?

I consider him a human.
    thats pretty close.....i consider him human garbage that had no business carrying a gun to begin with. that he would brag about his grand qualifications doesnt make the danger any worse, but it says everything about his mental state. he was so stuck on himself that he seemingly felt that he was above proper and basic gun safety even in a group of children.

By insinuating that this would never happen to "me/us" aren't we being just as arrogant as we claim this man was?
    lol....not at all. it cant happen if you dont pull the trigger which you should never do when youre surrounded by children. this fool got what he deserved and plenty that he didnt (i gaurantee you he took paid medical leave/filed a workmans comp claim!)

But let me see if I understand this, it is worse because of what he said and then had and accident which hurt no one but himself, than a police trainer that didn't say anything and accidentally killed a fellow officer?
    no.....you dont understand it at all.

if you have an accident, car, boat, gun, whatever, is this how you want us to treat you?
    this wasnt an accident. it was gross negligence. it was gross disregard for basic firearm safety as well as departmental policy and proceedure.

Senior Moderator
    No, I don't see him as a victim, but he is a human being and while he made a horrendous mistake, it wasn't as bad as the trainer that killed a fellow officer and you have yet to rip into him.

I noticed you didn't respond the same about the trainer who broke the rules and killed a fellow officer, and yet all this applies:

- "...endangered every child [person] in that room. what do you think the ricochet potential is when a .40 caliber bullet hits 6" thick concrete from a distance of about 3 feet?"

- "it cant happen if you dont pull the trigger which you should never do when youre surrounded by children [people]. this fool got what he deserved "

- "this wasnt an accident. it was gross negligence. it was gross disregard for basic firearm safety as well as departmental policy and proceedure."

Please explain how the two incidents are different.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Where is this trainer shoots officer article?? I would like to read it.

Senior Moderator
    Here ya go:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...bbtrainee.html

Here's a couple of comments about it:
    "In the ER its always the guys that have been woodworking for 25 years that come in with 2 or three fingers wrapped up in a rag. There's a point were even the veterins get lax!"

The man who fired the shot was a veteran training officer. I think one lesson that CAN be taken from this tragedy is that we can never allow ourselves to become complacent. Sometimes proficiency can breed complacency.

In the account above, there are two tragedies, the death of one, and the horror of another living the rest of his life knowing a mistake he made cost someone her life. He has a life sentence no matter what other action is taken against him.

No, I/we don't condon or excuse these things and we want to do everything we can to be sure they don't happen. But, unfortunately this trainer or the DEA agent are not the first nor will they be the last to have an ND that kills or endangers lives.

We all have read and heard of LEO NDs, some tragic and some not. They happen in the police stations, in their cars, in the public, even in bathrooms. I read of one not long ago where yet another veteran trainer had an ND on the range. Did it endanger other people? Absolutely!

Massod Ayoob in one of his recent articles tells of an ND that occurred as an officer was putting his gun in his locker at the end of his shift. Mas didn't publically scorn and ridicule the officer but reported it as a warning of how these things can happen.

OD*
    Mas didn't publically scorn and ridicule the officer but reported it as a warning of how these things can happen.
    Nor was he apologetic.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I like the part where he asks his partner to hend him the carbine and his partner is like "uhhhhh"
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Nor was he apologetic.
    OD,
    Do you think I've been trying to apologize for either incident?

Please explain how the two incidents are different.
    aside from anything else, the incident you cite is still under investigation. let the facts come out, and ill form my final opinion.

however, just at face value i would say the biggest difference would be a classroom full of children who went to school compared to a classroom full of police officers who have heroically accepted these types of risks.

OD*
    OD,
    Do you think I've been trying to apologize for either incident?
    It does come across sounding that way, I have no idea what's in your heart.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Should ahve read this earlyer its getting to personal ..

Keep it up and ill shut it down.

DC Founder
    I don't think we need to shut it down, but I think it needs to be taken down a notch on "making it personal". I agree with alot of what has been said and some I don't agree with. But I don't think we should attack (on any level) anyone with a different opinion than we have. I think most of our members are people that I could sit down, have a beer with and talk about the way things are without having a big disagreement. Let's just take it down a notch on taking this all personal.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I think most of our members are people that I could sit down, have a beer with and talk about the way things are without having a big disagreement. Let's just take it down a notch on taking this all personal.....
    To the campfire kind of chat? That's where it should be. There was an AD. Should be looked at as just that. Some have had them, some have not. Let's all just quit throwing blame and look at this vid as a chance to learn. Keep finger off trigger unless you want to kill whatever is in front of your muzzle.

I'm the new kid here as reflected in the post counts, but we are all adults and this is a great information site. I'd hate for it degrade to the point that no one wants to use it.

Just stating how I feel.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    To the campfire kind of chat? That's where it should be. There was an AD. Should be looked at as just that. Some have had them, some have not. Let's all just quit throwing blame and look at this vid as a chance to learn. Keep finger off trigger unless you want to kill whatever is in front of your muzzle.
    . +1 .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links