DAO to DA/SA Transition

This is a discussion on DAO to DA/SA Transition within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is it me or has anybody else found the transition from DAO to DA/SA difficult? I went to the range Sunday with a new DA/SA ...

Thread: DAO to DA/SA Transition

DAO to DA/SA Transition

Is it me or has anybody else found the transition from DAO to DA/SA difficult?

I went to the range Sunday with a new DA/SA 9mm pistol...and darn if I did not get every first DAO round smack dab in the bull’s eye...and all the subsequent DA off to the left. I realize, of course, that I am pulling the trigger...too much finger in the well.

To date, I have had only DAO revolvers and both my P3AT and Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 are both DAO pistols. Is this something I need to work on or will it affect my DAO pull.

Perhaps I should have the pistol changed out to DAO...or sell it and only work with DAO pistols. Why does this seem such a difficult thing to adjust to? Do I just need more range time with it...or is this a pretty common problem to overcome?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Practice some more - once you build the muscle memory, the transition becomes a non-issue.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It makes me gag, and once almost caused me to be incontinent. Then I discovered Glock.

Seriously, it can be trained over, but it is still a major hinderance to first-shot accuracy. Edit to add: you have the follow-up disease, which can be improved by learning where the minimal reset is for your trigger, and training to release only that far after the first bang.

As a former Marine, I put a lot of rounds down-range with my issue Beretta (after they took away my perfectly good 1911 ).

I never liked the transition either and swore that I'd never own a DA/SA of my own. Just too many good alternatives out there.

Practice a lot and you can get competent, .......no telling if you'll ever come to like it though. I sure didn't.

I would think that lots of practice would help solve this issue, but then again, maybe not.

You are not alone, as I have read about a lot of people that have similar problems, to which I cannot relate.

I think I am a mutant. I just don't have problems with different types of triggers. I shoot well regardless. Shooting just comes naturally to me the same way golf does, I don't know why, it just does.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

After shooting Glocks for years, I started shooting USPSA with a Beretta 92G-SD, which is DA/SA.

The first shot with the Beretta was waaay low and left. With some coaching, I retreated to the basics and practiced with a nice slow trigger press. In time I was able to pick it up to the point where I now have confidence in all shots with the Beretta, both the DA and SA.

As has been said, practice, practice, practice!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

It is a trade off, from what you have stated, your first round is not the problem, so its not the longer pull that you have a problem with, its my opinion you should empty your weapon and practice follow up shots by racking the slide after firing your first shot (empty chamber or snap caps, 9mm snap caps are hard to come by now days) keep the trigger fully depressed and learn where the trigger reset is, that is where I think you are having problems, it can be done and it does not require tons of ammo to do, I like most da/sa owners are a dying breed, in the end if you cant overcome it go back to dao only. If you were having problems with the first shot I think it would be a bigger issue, as it stands I think you can solve this by doing what I suggested, some people say you need two different finger placements on the trigger, I dont subscribe to that, but then again IM also not a target shooter, IPSC targets for me. IF my suggestion wasnt clear to you PM me, basically your just working on the reset, with TRUE dao dont have a "reset" meaning longer trigger pulls. you probably never "fine tuned" your reset shooting on the kel tec p3at, if you are used to dao revolvers its probably natural for you to release the trigger all the way. you want to follow up on the same drill with that sa/da pistol as I said with the P3at. my p3at has a long initial dao pull but the reset is very short, for fast follow up shots learning the reset is a must. Take out your p3at and do what I said, dont let the trigger go all the way out, you will see a huge difference,, The p3at is a hybrid dao which relies on the frame to partially cock the weapon, then has two separate stages on the trigger, if your not comfortable learning the reset on the p3at you can let the trigger go all the way foward and its more like your dao revolver again. One of the best things about glock is the consistant trigger reset, anyone ever quote me on saying something nice about glock I will deny it, but thats why glock lovers love glocks cheers if it makes you feel better I will loan you my p-11 so you can say what a great choice your new firearm is!!!
    Last edited by Southtexas; April 7th, 2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: clarification on dao vs almost dao pistols, regarding this posters problem.

Everything that needed to be said has been said. I would say that if you cannot master the transition to DA/SA after trying all of the advise given then GO back to a dao pistol for edc. Don't let pride get in the way and go back to what works for you.

Well, I can tell you I don't like the transition at all. I'm an instructor but even at that I have a hard time coordinating my finger and brain to make it efficient. My favorite trigger systems are Glocks and 1911's (Smith M&P too) because I don't have that transition. Where it's most evident is in rapid fire with me. Slow fire on the range and I'm ok.

I grew up with 1911's. My first DA/SA pistol was a very used Mauser HSc. I liked it, and bought an early S&W 59. It was horrible, and for the next several decades it was any pistol as long as it was a 1911 and made by Colt. Now I mostly shoot my DAO P3AT and a variety of SA/DA pistols from 22LR through 45ACP. I have no problem with switching between them, nor when I switch to an SA only.

IMHO, the 'problem' is that you think there is a problem and allow too much of your concentration to dwell on it. Worry more about front sight and target, and let your brain and trigger finger handle the details.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I don't see any disadvantages of DA/SA compared to 1911's or SA's,

Most DA/SA guns are available with manual safeties as well if wanted, so you would have the option of cocked/locked carry AS WELL as DA/SA action if you would prefer. Just gives you the option of however you want to carry. Personally I prefer DA/SA when carrying, if I were to need to draw, no fumbling or extra steps, just pulling the trigger. But I have practiced and feel confident in the accuracy of the first shot compared to the rest.

Standard on CZ75 if I recall is an example of DA/SA with manual safety (only engages when hammer back for cocked/locked carry).
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

I agree with you garn on your statement...the disadvantage is when it is compared to the DAO weapon which has the consistent trigger pull all the time and is similar to my revolvers making all trigger/pistol training uniform.

Links