Make "The Heller Bet" with an anti-gunner!

This is a discussion on Make "The Heller Bet" with an anti-gunner! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I made a bet today. I bet an anti-gunner that when the DC law is struck down, and people are allowed to own firearms ...

Thread: Make "The Heller Bet" with an anti-gunner!

Make "The Heller Bet" with an anti-gunner!

So I made a bet today.

I bet an anti-gunner that when the DC law is struck down, and people are allowed to own firearms for personal protection, that crime will drop in DC within two years. It's a brave bet, especially since we don't know what kind of new "reasonable" law will replace it.

If I win, my anti-gunner friend will buy a gun, train, get their CCW and carry full time.

If I lose? Well... nothing. I was expecting I'd be asked to give up my guns (not gonna happen), but they didn't even ask for any terms if I "lost".

So make the Heller Bet with anyone you can think of...

We should ask the media to make the Heller Bet, too.

Nice bet, eh?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice bet, but I doubt you'll win... how could you bet that the crime rate will go down? With that large a concentration of lawyers and politicians in one area, I don't think it's possible for crime rate to go down.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Very nice bet, but I doubt you'll win... how could you bet that the crime rate will go down? With that large a concentration of lawyers and politicians in one area, I don't think it's possible for crime rate to go down.
    Doesn't it go down everytime congress is out of session?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Sounds like your friend is just looking for an excuse to buy a gun and go shooting. Might want to invite them to the range, and then even if SCOTUS does something stupid (Don't put it past them) he may still find the joy of gun ownership.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I don't hang around anti's, If someone can't grasp the simple fact of self defense,I don't see where we would have much in common1
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    +1
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Great bet! I'd just add "violent crime" will go down......you can't lose.

Sounds like a good bet to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I personally don't think much of anything will occur crime stat wise in DC.

A large amount of the population are non-residents and students.
    Beyond that of the actual natives with a DC drivers license and on the voter registration rolls a not small percentage have criminal records be it either a misdemeanor if not felony. Even if Heller wins it's not like gun law in DC will be akin to NH or VT, automatically. And that's with a best case scenario Heller win too.
    The very few people who would seek out a gun and jump through the inevitable but future passable hoops of fire in legality toward as much would sift out to be a very small percentage of the population at large. Also keep in mind modern day DC today is very much lefty.

I wouldn't hold my breath on much in the way of change.
    If anything I would not be surprised to see raw murder numbers tick up a bit at first as the few persons and homeowners who can pass scrutiny and do choose to secure a firearm in their home, at their business, and/or on their person will be responding to attacks left and right which in DC is pretty much par for the course in the minds of most natives who either have been their longer than a few months (weeks!) and/or folks like me born and bred there.

Even still I hope Heller wins and wins BIG not for DC but for us all as a nation.
    Because if they lose or win small then we all lose.

- Janq's fingers are crossed...toward some day being able to secure a 'non-resident' DC carry permit
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    Sounds like your friend is just looking for an excuse to buy a gun and go shooting. Might want to invite them to the range, and then even if SCOTUS does something stupid (Don't put it past them) he may still find the joy of gun ownership.
    Thats what I was going to say, you shoulda made the bet for two guns, one for him and one for you!
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Links