My first shotgun!

This is a discussion on My first shotgun! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to give an update on my shotgun search: I finally bought my first shotgun, a Remington 870. Took it out to the range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first shotgun!

My first shotgun!

I wanted to give an update on my shotgun search:
    I finally bought my first shotgun, a Remington 870. Took it out to the range and shoot clays all weekend. Now after 500 rounds I have a black and blue shoulder.

After I got home on Sunday I decided to take the gun apart clean it and learn about all the parts. Well I took the trigger out, and while cleaning I managed to loose the carrier dog spring and pin. With no luck searching my carpet for an hour, I ordered the parts from midway and will have them midweek.

I have been browsing shotgun upgrades, and have ordered a recoil pad and a side saddle. I am thinking about buying parts to be able to convert it to a tactical shotgun. However, I would need to buy a smaller barrel, stock with a pistol grip, and a pump with a handle. With having to buy all this, would I be better off just getting a Mossberg 500? (remember I am a poor college student)

Thanks for everyone helping me pick out my first shotgun.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! Any pics?

I put a sidesaddle on my Mossy 500, and the first thing I noticed was how heavy the gun is with six rounds of 00 Buck attached to it. Heads up on that.

If this is your home defense / bump in the night gun, the first thing I'd spend money on would be one of these or something comparable.

Good luck with that shoulder!

Congrats on the New Shotgun!!! That is awesome!! We need some pic's on this!!!

Administrator
    The only thing you really need to convert is a 18" barrel. Those can be found cheaply. Keep It Simple... you will be glad you did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I didn't take any pictures yet, the gun is currently disassembled waiting on midway to get me the parts that I lost. Once she is back in working action I will get some up on here.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    (remember I am a poor college student)
    Well there's your problem.

I'm in the same boat. Fun place to be. 500 rounds in a weekend? Damn, most I ever did was a little under a hundred, but the weight of the over-under I was using minimized any real recoil. Hope you had fun bruising your shoulder, at least.

An 870 is high on my to-get list. College costs quite a bit more at the university level.

-B

Good choice with the 870, I need to get one sometime.

For a defense shotgun all you really need is a short 18-20 inch barrel, the next things are a light of some sort and a side saddle. Weapon mounted lights are invaluable tools on a long gun in an urban situation.

My Mossberg does have a full length stock with a pistol grip on it that I found a good deal on, but its not needed (I'm just used to have a pistol grip on my defensive weapon.) As far as the vertical grip on the pump, I've never been a fan of em.

You could always check around for a used short barrel pump, although new ones can be found for under 300. If you could find a used 870 with the short barrel, then you would have the same controls on both shotguns so you don't get confused if you are ever in a messy situation.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You poor college students are better off than us college student "parents" who are footing your expenses. You're fussing to the wrong character here.

Currently Paying for:
    one doctorate, one masters, and one masters in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post

I finally bought my first shotgun, a Remington 870. Took it out to the range and shoot clays all weekend. Now after 500 rounds I have a black and blue shoulder.
    500 rounds out of an 870 in one weekend......for a relative shotgun newb?! That's gonna leave you black and blue!

Congrats on the purchase. You'll have that gun forever!

Congrats! My first was an 870 also. Great machine. Keep it clean and it will last you forever!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new shotgun, I'll second the recommendation on a shorter barrel. Keep an eye out at the gun shows for a shorter barrel, I recently picked up a nice vent rib 870 barrel for a friend for $130, much cheaper than new. If nothing else you can pick up a longer barrel and have it cut down to 18 inches and a new front sight installed for little cost.

Senior Moderator
    I agree with most previous posts

All you need is a shorter barrel, it doesn't need alot of gizmo's to make it look tacticool. It just needs a short barrel to be a "Tactical " HD weapon
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Nothing wrong with owning two shotguns either. One setup for HD the other for sport shooting.
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

An 18" or 20" barrel is all you really need(as everyone has said already)...the rest is just foo foo. But it's fun.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Congrats on the Scattergun.....

What did you shoot Trap, Skeet, SC or just backyard birds.

What kind of ammo did you run?

PS I consider myself an avid shotgunner however, Shooting two Flats of ammo in one weekend is something I would not attempt due to the bruising of the shoulder. Thats also very mentally draining....Anyway congrats
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links