Break in time

This is a discussion on Break in time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, I apologize for all the questions recently. I want to do this right though. When a manufacturer recomends 400-500 rounds for a break in. ...

Thread: Break in time

Break in time

First, I apologize for all the questions recently. I want to do this right though. When a manufacturer recomends 400-500 rounds for a break in. Do you have to shoot all these in one day? May seem like a dumb question. But I want to be sure.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No, infact with some calibers that could prove quite uncomfortable and expensive.

It is not required to do it in one day, but each manufacturer recommends things differently.

Some recommend 100, then clean and lube, 100-200, then clean and lube, etc...
    Some recommend shooting the entire break in before cleaning...so I guess, my answer is it, depends.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    On some models, like my M&P 45, the trigger smooths out with trigger activation from both round and dry fire. Dry fire (with snap caps) is cheaper.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Of course always follow the manufacturers advise. No you don't have to shoot that all in one session. I will do 100 rounds in a session for 9mm and below, and 50 rounds for .40 S&W and above. That way I don't start to get fatigued and start practicing my mistakes. I then clean and lube for the next session. I have found that by doing that for the first 200 rounds that it cuts down on the malfunctions a bunch.

in one day ? maybe in .22 LR
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    in one day ? maybe in .22 LR
    That would be about $120-150 worth of 45ACP in one day. (And that's just plinkin' brass!) Might as well spread that out over at least a few days.

I'm about to have to do that with a brand new Kimber, myself.

Thanks all, I had to go to work when I posted. That's why I didnt answer right away. Yep were talking about a Kimber. (should have mentioned that) I know it seems like a silly question, but I had to ask it.

I was going to say, "You have a nineteeeen-eleeeeeven, don't you?"

I've done 300 of WWB in one sitting. As long as you have extra mags, it isn't a chore.

Course, that's only 20 reloads in one Glock mag...about 40 in an 8 round Gvt. mag LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    First, I apologize for all the questions recently. I want to do this right though. When a manufacturer recomends 400-500 rounds for a break in. Do you have to shoot all these in one day? May seem like a dumb question. But I want to be sure.
    As no gun is perfectly identical to the next in the line, each will be a bit different. One may be tight and require a lot more time to effectively break-in to the degree that another gun of the exact same model.

Doesn't really matter when you shoot the XYZ number of rounds. It's going to cost the same across one day or ten. Just follow the recommended break-in process and then stop once you've proven to yourself that it's worth betting your life on. Only you can know that part ... above and beyond whatever fixed number of rounds the manufacturer might believe.

I've done a few dozen 500rd sittings, with an older Browning BDM 9mm. It took 15Krds for that puppy to be well and truly broken-in, but after that it was darned near infallible. With the CZ P01, it was working well by 1700rds. The Kahr PM9 wasn't working smoothly and well after 750rds, but was following a trip back to Kahr's shop. Each gun is different.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sometimes less, and at other times, I've shot way more than 500 rounds in a day.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links