Do you patrol ?

Do you patrol ?

This is a discussion on Do you patrol ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; May it be a house with lots of land or a condo, Do you patrol outside your home? Look for people and things out of ...

Thread: Do you patrol ?

VIP Member

Do you patrol ?

May it be a house with lots of land or a condo, Do you patrol outside your home? Look for people and things out of place? Do you watch possible places of entry and see if they are disturbed in any way? Neighbors having a party or a domestic disturbance? People eying suspiciously yours or any other property?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

1952 - 2006
    When I come home I make a reasonable check of the area, I live in an apt now and my mailbox is at the front of the building, I live in the back. So that gives me a good idea of whether or not everything is normal.

If I hear an unusual sound from outside I will go out onto my upstairs balcony and have a good look and listen with cordless phone, SureFire 6P and one of my 1911's.

Of course I work in security and personal protection, so for me it's kind of second nature to do these things. I also have an extensive amout of training in how to do it safely.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

LOL... yeah, way too often .
    My unarmed security job has a contract here. At least I get a huge break on my rent .

Pulse there has been a sicko who has been window peeping and masturbating at several complexes in town lately. Let me catch this freek in MY complex.
    He wont have anything to play with anymore, if you catch my drift .
    Last edited by gregarat; October 7th, 2005 at 05:35 AM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Somebody ought to explain to him the dangers of going over to Betty's. (Betty herself AND the fire plug out front) ---------

Senior Moderator
    Everytime I arrive home, I look carefully for "signs". Things that just aren't quite right. I've actually seen some wary signs, but they have turned out to be nothing so far.

VIP Member
    Note to self: Do not post at the wee hours of the morning. You make less sense than usual.

What I was trying to convey was: Do you actually do some sort of patrolling while you are at home? Get up from the couch during commercials and take a quick peek around the outside of your dwelling to see if everything is allright? Are we being aware of what might be going on or we feel we are perfectly safe in our homes that we do not care what was going on outside before we hit the sack?

Ever since the Mrs. Miggy developed migraines, I was "asked" to smoke outside. Thanks to her "suggestion", I realized that once I was home, I didn't care about what was going on outside the four walls of the house. So, I made the point to do a quick patrol and check that everything was right while puffing a cancer stick. I was just wondering if anybody else does something similar. (Patrolling, not the smoking, that's bad for you.)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - yes I do patrol, sort of, but maybe I'd call it just keeping on some degree of awareness.

All trips to and from office to house include scans and checks and if in house for some while then I try and stay tuned to all sensory input. Much is looking or listening for the unusual - things that ''don't seem right''. Usually nothing of course but I think it is good to not assume that the four walls are an impregnable castle! Or that the yard is naturally a demilitarized zone biggrin:
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Meth is a big problem around here, so on weekends I do very often take the ATV and "make my rounds" of my 90 acres. I have a scabard for the AR on the ATV and carry my Glock 10mm in a thigh holster.

VIP Member
    Sometimes my brother and I will inspect mom n' dad's property line and his property (both are adjoining). Total, it's around a couple hundred acres of rolling Tennessee hills. My parents rent out the land to a neighbor, who has a herd of cows there. We load up, pile in his Jeep, and slowly trudge up the hills. We inspect the deer stands, make sure there aren't any "new ones," and grab large pieces of litter. We note any fence holes.

Once we did come across another neighbor trespassing. I think I had a KelTec SU-16 at the time, along with whatever handgun I was toting, and my brother was also armed. The guy claimed he was just "passing through"... with a rifle....during hunting season. He seemed friendly enough, but I kept my eyes on him. He used his rifle as a pointer to show "he came from yonder," and ended up pointing his rifle at his own head.

I know dad has made trespassing hunters leave a time or two, and we've also let some pass through if they were chasing after their hunting dogs. Dogs don't know anything about property lines when they're after game. Hunting seasons are always cause for extra alertness - imagine waking up in the middle of the night because some idiot driving down the road has aimed a spotlight at your window!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

since their senses are a lot better than mine i let my dogs take care of the dirty work. i dont get involved unless they call me.

Same as BSG. My two dogs, Patron and Cuervo, will let me know there's someone there long before my senses click in.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Better believe it. That's the doggy's job. And he does it so well.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Links