Rifid chips in firearms???

This is a discussion on Rifid chips in firearms??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok i admit i was bored this morning and over looking over a hk fanboy board when i ran across this thread Possible RFID or ...

Thread: Rifid chips in firearms???

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Ok i admit i was bored this morning and over looking over a hk fanboy board when i ran across this thread Possible RFID or other chip location HK45C..... - HKPRO Forums

Summery of it is that it seems HK is now putting rifid chips on SOME polymer handguns , specifically LE and mil sales . However as always some over runs are hitting the civilian market . Pics posted are from a USPc 9mm reportedly owned by a fella over on arfcom .

Now i can see the utility of a rifid chip for anyone who maintains a firearm inventory be they a public agency or private manufacturer/wholesaler/dealer. However I am not fond of the idea of a rifid in/on my firearms . For the record i am somewhat familiar with rifid chips ( implantable ) in ag use and the readers i am familiar with will read at a max of about 6 ft sometimes lol . Best use of the readers tho is within 18 inches of the chip . However putting on my tinfoil hat for a moment , it is an emerging , developing technology that gets " better " every year or so . How long until anyone with a reader ( be they .gov or possibly even OTHER criminals LOL ) can drive by your house and read/identify/locate chips contained inside ?
    Homeland Security dept has pushed the Ag dept ( no i am not kidding ) to mandate that all livestock be rifid chipped or unmarketable . Google NAIS or National Animal Identification System for more info on that , and note that this was done " Administrativly " with no vote from representatives. The " logic " behind this is to track back to source such public health threats as mad cow disease tho there has never been a problem tracking back any infectious disease to the originating ranch .
    When you take what is happening in the ag industry into account rifid chips in firearms becomes frankly scary at least to me . Food for thought for the forum .
    Attached Images
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Could you not just remove it? It looks like it is just glued onto the gun. Just take it off and flush it and if the govt. tracks it down they should feel right at home.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    That is quite Orwellian!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Could you not just remove it? It looks like it is just glued onto the gun. Just take it off and flush it and if the govt. tracks it down they should feel right at home.
    LOL , however what happens when they mold it into the frame or otherwise hide /secure it without notice to the firearms buyers ?

For the record hk does at this point glue them in, and has a little round moulding to hold them . on the thread there is a pic of the moulding under the backstrap of a hk 45 with no rifid in it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Wow, that is scary. I can see the need for a company or organization, but not for personal/private use. Hence the term PRIVATE, we want some things kept to ourselves, and don't want the government watching over us. We already have to register all of our weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Summery of it is that it seems HK is now putting rifid chips on SOME polymer handguns , specifically LE and mil sales .
    If true, it makes the good ol', classic 1911 even more attractive, eh?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I've never liked HK for these types of reasons, and I cant think of any agency that bought or would buy large enough quanities to justify needed a RFID inventory system.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nothing a few seconds in the microwave won't fix.
    -Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Nothing a few seconds in the microwave won't fix.
    Steel inserts in the frame make that problematic. A home-made electromagnet would do just as well, without the scorch risk.

Distinguished Member
    And everyone laughs at my foil hat...

I was thinking electromagnet myself.

I seen that on HKpro this morning..LOL I went and checked both my USP's !
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

At Defcon a couple of years back they were able to read RFID chips at 40 feet. That basically means a machine to spot CCW people easily if the technology went this route.

But hey, I don't own any HK's so not my problem.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Know your weapon, make sure others don't...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links