Rule #2 is the biggest safety net - IMO

This is a discussion on Rule #2 is the biggest safety net - IMO within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Jim_Linch Good illustration Tangle of why we need to get past the "mantra" stage of his treachings. I never met the man, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rule #2 is the biggest safety net - IMO

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Linch
    Good illustration Tangle of why we need to get past the "mantra" stage of his treachings. I never met the man, but I would hope that he did not teach his craft to others is a dogmatic a style as the followers I have met of his.
    I had the privilige of visiting with Mr. Cooper in his home at Gunsite about 6 years ago. I asked him what he thought about Glocks and his reply was, "Throw away guns for throw away cops!". So he can be pretty dogmatic about some things. But he's not like that about everything. I mean who could picture Jeff Cooper sitting in front of his TV waiting for a certain object to appear, working the bolt, aiming and pulling the trigger!

I think some of the "dogma" comes from students that over apply the dogma. For example, some think that since Gunsite was founded by Cooper and he's a 1911 person, that Gunsite is dogmatic about the 1911 as "the" defense gun. That's really not true at all. It's true that that is the gun they recommend, but many of their instructors carry Glocks and Sigs. In fact, I've seen Glocks actually promoted by some of the Gunsite instructors and that doesn't seem to be frowned upon at all by Gunsite.

Anyway, I drift big time - a long winded way to say I agree Jim.

2. Remove Ads

Well to get back on track...

If he dry fires at the TV, he can't be too dogmatic about his own rules. Course when you are "The Dawg" I guess you can't be/do anything you want. :)

Assistant Administrator
    If he dry fires at the TV,
    My thinking Jim was - maybe he just hates TV!

Thus is willing to point at something he DOES wish to destroy!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Elvis never dryfired at his T.V. He made sure his gun was loaded.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Elvis never dryfired at his T.V. He made sure his gun was loaded.
    LOL! Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Linch
    Good illustration Tangle of why we need to get past the "mantra" stage of his treachings. I never met the man, but I would hope that he did not teach his craft to others is a dogmatic a style as the followers I have met of his.
    I'll note he has, to the best of my knowledge, never told them to chill out either.

He's certainly been around long enough to see the dogmatic response to what he's doing, and from the letters and columns of his I've read, he seems to get off on it.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Not having a TV for teh past 5 years, I could see how he might want to. :)

VIP Member
    We all know, deep in our hearts, that we have, at one time or other, maybe inadvertantly, maybe only slightly, BROKEN the rules. We live in a real world, we drive accidents waiting to happen, and we try to be responsible. The most important safety rule is between our ears, attitude, concern, and a determination to do the level best we can to observe ALL the rules. There are some accidents we can't forsee or prevent. Although pretending an unloaded gun is loaded is a good principle or superceeding law, keeping the gun pointed in a "safest" direction is my #1. It is doable. No matter what tempting idiocy is on TV, dry fire into a safe bag is doable. IWB and OWB is doable and fast.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I think "The Rules" were written with the old axiom "two is one, one is none" in mind. That is, if you only break one rule, things will be relatively OK. It's only a big problem if you break at least 2 of them. For example, if you don't assume the gun is loaded, nothing bad is likely to happen unless you also break one of the other rules, like keeping your finger off the trigger. So there's a built in safety buffer if you happen to ignore/forget one of the rules.

Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links